Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

drotto
Novice

hard apple cider /wine experience can it translate to brandy

Post by drotto »

hi guys,
i am a total newbe on this forum.
i lurked for years and read alot of posts off and on but never got around to joining.
now that i've joined i've been reading a great deal about apple processing.

interesting reading but some of it puzzles me and i'd like to ask some questions but worry i'll offend by accident.
i don't want to offend by asking questions without putting up my own post on my experiences first .
all comments are welcome as i'm looking to expand my knowledge as much as possible.
my goal is to go further with an apple wine i already make and still out some nice brandy to shelve for a year or two.

time to get windy :roll:
my experience,
way back when i was still in school i got a job at a cider mill.
we made hundreds of gallons of cider ever day and went through 4'x'4'x4' wooden apple storage boxes by the hour.
the boxes were loaded into the hopper with a forklift and the apples made their way to the grinder on a chain and wood slat conveyor belt .
that ignited an interest in cider that in forty years has never left me.
back then i made hard cider by simply setting the sweet cider in the sun and venting it daily.
typically we drank it while it was still fizzy now i know the wild yeast was still working.
i attempted to make apple jack many times but setting the cider in the freezer but that never seems to work like i thought it would.

after college i quit messing with hard cider except occasionally the mill shut down ect ect.
i did look into making wine but it wasn't too long since it had become legal to make your own.
back then wine kits were crude info was hard to find, fresh wine grapes weren't easy to get ect ect ect.
plus this thing called the internet just didn't exist.

many years later i was found to be fatally ill and nearly died.
while i sat in the hospital i had time to think of things i'd been meaning to do and was facing the real possibility it would never happen.
i survived just barely and while recovering had alot of time to wander in the fairly new internet thingy.
one thing i was determined to do was make wine.

i read alot bought books and tried my hand at fermenting a few carboys.
in a way i was lucky part of my recovery required that i couldn't drink ANY ALCOHOL while i was still on kemo.
that keep the young wine safe for almost 15 months.
having tons of spare time i was also able to properly rack and oak.
long story but it ends with me getting really good at grape wine.
i've made the federal limit years in a row and it never lasted long as my friends got friendlier when they heard the bottling was done!! :shock:
the only thing i kinda avoided on formal technic was adding the sulfur to the wine as it gives me massive headaches in commercial red wines.

i decided to branch into fruit wines and naturally apple was top.
i made some hard cider with real wine yeast it came out good but not great.
i lost the appleness of the sweet cider.
back to the books research you know the drill.
i went with making apple wine instead of hard cider.

i revamped what the "experts" wanted me to add since it was chemical dependent.
in place of their additives i added things like raisons for the tannins , lemon juice for the acid then later malic acid.
to make it dry i needed a higher brix to hit a specific gravity of 1.080.
this produced a fairly stiff 17-19% alky content which made for a dry wine.
it's also very applely.

been making the apple wine for years now and when i bottle it it doesn't last long.
typically i was bottling 50-100 gallons a year.
i experimented with grinding my own and still do with the crab apples needed to get a good balance .
with the sweet cider i lucked into a source willing to fill my fermenting barrels for 3 per gallon and often his "math" for the bill is in my favor.
i do give him a few gallons as i consider him a friend.

lately i read up on apple jack and figured out a way to freeze distill through this and other sites.
i had apple wine that was past being great and wanted to experiment.
i didn't do it to consume as the sections can't be separated and i just hate hang overs and potential blindness.
the results were definitely stronger maybe 40% carried an excellent apple nose and retained the sourness this particular batch had designed into it.

i put it in some bottles with paper towel wadded is for an air lock bug blocker to let the worst of the volitables gas off over time.
that was a year maybe two ago i kinda forgot about the experiment and recently found it again.

the result so far is the apple nose is now intense.
the bad smells seem gone but i still ain't going to drink it.
it is extremely sour like the wine was in fact everything seems just stronger in the experiment.
also is totally clear and has been stored in plain glass no oaking.

anyway that's all i've got for now i'll post what i'm thinking i may do with this stuff later to continue on the experiment.

in the future i'll be running off some apple wine i made and never bottled it's been clear and is still on the lees for about 1.5 years.
it has never been sulfided , is in glass carboys and is protected with airlock's.
i haven't sampled it in a while but the first couple of gallons were excellent.
theres a fair bit to convert so some more freeze experiments may be included.
that's enough windy from me for now.
D 8)
butterpants
Swill Maker

Re: hard apple cider /wine experience can it translate to br

Post by butterpants »

I bet it's the methanol in red wine causing your headaches not sulfites.
drotto
Novice

Post by drotto »

nope.
definitely the sulfides as i can drink a silly amount of wine without any large amount of added sulfides.
what industrial wine makers add in the way of sulfides to wine is insane.
they are focused on delivering a product that is protected from becoming vinegar almost no matter how bad it is handled.
so much co2 is added that you can store most mass produced wine under your sink and it'll stay wine and not turn for years.

i made a fairly large amount of red wine over the years drank ALOT of it and no headaches.
i drink a glass or two of commercial reds and wham bad night for me.

typically i'd do around 50 gallons red some italian like barola,sangeovese,barbera ect ect.
but my favorite was cab sav and burgandy that i did a few times with excellent results..
when i was actively making wine i fermented 15-20 gallons of cab sav , 5 gallon carboys other reds and a few whites for my sweetie.
i ran almost to the federal limit for years and had a few hundred bottles racked to age.
barola can't even be called barola until it's aged five years though one seasons worth i found i liked how it tasted at year three better.

my last batch of burgandy was a 4 yeast experiment that i tried in an attempt simulate wild yeast inoculation.
but never got finished that life got busy and the last batch of wine never got oaked.
it never even got bottled theres a fair amount of dust settled on the carboys.
been five years so now the wine is getting a little old to drink only option used to be turn it to really nice vinegar
buyt my new plan is to see how i manage making brandy!!
i have about 12 carboys that aren't blown of grape wines so i have some leeway for newbe mistakes i guess. :D
D 8)
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

I'd like to put my hypothesis to test but it seems cruel to intentionally inflict headaches on people for science. I'm not Dr Mengele you know.
drotto
Novice

Post by drotto »

nope nope nope :shock:
that's a test most want to skip.
thanx for a good belly laugh!
D 8)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

both myself and my wife have problems with sulfites as well, that's part of what led me to make my own wine rather than drink commercial wine. Brandy has trouble with sulfites as well if they are used so fortunately your methods should translate well to brandy.
drotto
Novice

Post by drotto »

:ebiggrin:
thanx Cranky for info.
i really like your posts and will be using much of your advise.
a question about what i already have in glass.
the equipment was sanatized with camden tablets and rinsed with clear water.
all the airlocks have camden liquid in them for sanatation and occasionally will leak tiny amounts into the carboy.
i never "kill" off the natural yeasts with camden as each year gets a slightly different final that way.
unlike the Cranky version of washed my apple wine is "contaminated" with other things like raisins (for tannins) a big wack of honey and a small amount of sugar to raise the sg up.
typically about
18# honey, 10-15# sugar to about 100 gallons of sweet cider
malic acid was added on last batch to correct the balance if my memory has held up.

the reading before pitching the yeast was around 1.080 i think my notes aren't in front of me.
i used i think three different yeasts in separate batching one was levan 1118 will post other two later when i look up notes.

the idea was that the 1118 made for high alky, one yeast was better for fruit notes and other was for something else.
getting old i used to remember all this without notes.

was racked off into glass after low temp ferment think it ran about ten days or so.
has been still on the lees for almost a year not sure if sitting on the lees that long has made off tastes or not.
typically resting on lees is risky but a big pay off in flavor if everything goes right.
will taste check before i do anything else.

i'm posting all this for one big question.
am i wasting my time running this wine out into brandy?
i've read that adding sugar can make a nice brandy not so nice so i wonder?

d 8)
drotto
Novice

Post by drotto »

btw in case anyone is interested this is the still i'm making for fruit runs.
hope i followed forum rules on a re-post.
if not moderators please feel free to correct me in the error of my posting.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70181
D 8)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

drotto wrote:i'm posting all this for one big question.
am i wasting my time running this wine out into brandy?
i've read that adding sugar can make a nice brandy not so nice so i wonder?
While it is true that I feel for best results with a brandy it should not contain added sugar but if it is wine that will otherwise go to waste, why not make it into brandy? Sugar will dilute flavor honey will both dilute the fruit flavor and add it's own flavors. Minor amounts of sulfites like using it in the airlock shouldn't hurt, if you are really concerned aerating the crap out of it prior to racking to the boiler should dissipate the sulfites but with such a minuscule amount and that copper still it shouldn't matter.

It actually sounds well worthwhile to run it and see what you get.
drotto
Novice

Post by drotto »

cool.
have never been able to just dump stuff that may stil be usable so i go ahead and try my luck.

i won't post exactly what i have as overage , it's embarrassing but life got real busy and i had to travel for work the last couple of years.

i will post a pix or two of the sleeping wine when i remember to bring a camera where it's resting.
D 8)
Captain Pappy
Novice

Re: hard apple cider /wine experience can it translate to brandy

Post by Captain Pappy »

I'd like to find out what the final result is/was, because my primary interest is apple brandy.

How'd it turn out?
Farside
Bootlegger

Re: hard apple cider /wine experience can it translate to brandy

Post by Farside »

Last year I made apple wine using sugar to around 10 ABV.

Instead of a stripping run I freeze concentrated it out to about 25 or 30 ABV.

Then did a slow spirit run. Tons of flavor.