Persimmons

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Persimmons

Post by Shine0n »

I've been looking at these two trees for 3 years now and finally got the nerve to taste a fruit from them. It was like a plum and apricot had a baby.YUM! slightly peachy.

After some serious research I found they are persimmons, very very sweet persimmons.

There are 2 trees about 25 ft each and loaded to the gills, one is ready and the other still green so this week I plan to get as many as possible and freeze for future usage.

I already know I'm making a mead with some and looking to know if some make likker with them as well.

I believe jb did but I'll have to search or wait for him to chime in.

More to come folks,
Shine0n

Oh, there are 2 more of these trees at the woods edge of my shop too that are loaded.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Persimmons

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There are a few threads here and other places about using them, Ive read they can make a good spirit ..others say no, not so good.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I've been wanting to do persimmons forever but it's one of the few fruits I can't get here. I think JB was supposed to send me some seeds a while back so I could grow my own trees but it never happened :( If I recall correctly he has done persimmons several times with good results. You are lucky to have them. I'm surprised they are ripening so early. When I was growing up back in Oklahoma they were never ripe until just after the first frost, then you had to rush to try to beat the various birds and other animals to them.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

ShineOn,

they make a wonderful Persimmon pudding too.
if you get one that is NOT ripe it will pucker your face worse than ANY lemon you have ever had.......don't ask me how I know that :oops:
I was told by one of the ladies that made Persimmon pudding "instead of picking off tree I pick up off the ground every day or two"..."I know they are ripe then". btw she made the BEST pudding ever.
I haven't had any of Miss Margie's pudding for about 25 years ....... now my mouth is wattering

if you get anything that is good please let us know......
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Please share your mead results. Inquiring minds want to know!

A neighbor across the street knows I like these and last year showed up with a box (about 20lbs) from his son's tree. Maybe enough for a fruit mash, but worth experimenting with.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just got home and didn't get to take a pic of them but after much research I'm positive that's what they are.

My brother in law has 2 trees of his own and that makes 6 total but only 1 is ripe already.

Cranky, I'll send some seeds... pm me and we'll get the ball rolling.

I'll definitely be doing a wash with all these persimmons.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

You got my attention, lol! My favorite fruit.
They are a favorite of mine. They make a excellent Mead, wine and brandy. Wait till they are ripe enough to shake off the tree and they will be almost syrupy sweet. Seeds are non toxic so makes prepping a breeze. Mush them up good seeds, skins and all.
As I'm sure you noticed, they are rather...snotty when ripe. Fill fermenter 3/4 full of pulped up fruit and pitch yeast. After ferment use paint strainer bag and mop wringer to squeeze.
For wine, 3# fruit per gallon, water, sugar to target gravity for sweet or dry and yeast staggered nutrient additions
For Mead I use 3#fruit and 2.5# honey but use white grape juice instead of water,yeast, staggered nutrient additions.
Pectic enzyme is used in all three as per mfg directions.
Fermaid o is my choice for nutrients.
1118 for the wine, d47 for the Mead, vin13 for the brandy.
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

jb-texshine wrote:You got my attention, lol! My favorite fruit.
They are a favorite of mine. They make a excellent Mead, wine and brandy. Wait till they are ripe enough to shake off the tree and they will be almost syrupy sweet. Seeds are non toxic so makes prepping a breeze. Mush them up good seeds, skins and all.
As I'm sure you noticed, they are rather...snotty when ripe. Fill fermenter 3/4 full of pulped up fruit and pitch yeast. After ferment use paint strainer bag and mop wringer to squeeze.
For wine, 3# fruit per gallon, water, sugar to target gravity for sweet or dry and yeast staggered nutrient additions
For Mead I use 3#fruit and 2.5# honey but use white grape juice instead of water,yeast, staggered nutrient additions.
Pectic enzyme is used in all three as per mfg directions.
Fermaid o is my choice for nutrients.
1118 for the wine, d47 for the Mead, vin13 for the brandy.
Jb
You should send Cranky some seeds.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

cranky wrote:I've been wanting to do persimmons forever but it's one of the few fruits I can't get here. I think JB was supposed to send me some seeds a while back so I could grow my own trees but it never happened :( If I recall correctly he has done persimmons several times with good results. You are lucky to have them. I'm surprised they are ripening so early. When I was growing up back in Oklahoma they were never ripe until just after the first frost, then you had to rush to try to beat the various birds and other animals to them.
Sorry cranky, it slipped my mind with all that has transpired in the past year and a half or so.
As johnny and Waylon said"aint no love in an evil hearted woman"...
Jb

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

[/quote]
You should send Cranky some seeds.[/quote]
Rightly so Pukeko.
Last edited by jb-texshine on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deo Vendice

johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

jb-texshine wrote:
You should send Cranky some seeds.[/quote]
Definitely so Pukeko.[/quote]

If you ever played any of the Final Fantasy franchise on playstation you would realise that the Chocabo is modeled of the Pukeko :)
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

It does bear a strong resemblance.

Deo Vendice

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I had a persimmons tree, many years ago in VA which I remember as getting ripe while it was still hot out. Too young to ferment anything then, and the place has long since burned down and been replaced by one of those new housing developments with a hundred identical houses wrapped in vinyl.

Based on my shady memory, I think they would make some nice product.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

bilgriss wrote:I had a persimmons tree, many years ago in VA which I remember as getting ripe while it was still hot out. Too young to ferment anything then, and the place has long since burned down and been replaced by one of those new housing developments with a hundred identical houses wrapped in vinyl.

Based on my shady memory, I think they would make some nice product.
Sounds more like domesticated (Japanese) persimmons.
The wild ones are rarely ripe before first frost,golfball sized vs plum size...
Tastes close to the same,wild is sweeter but thinner skin on the wild ones.
Jb

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Only this one tree is ripe, all the leaves have fallen off too.

It may be on its last leg, who knows.

All of the others are still green and full of leaves and yall were right... I needed a bottle of water to get the mouth puckering away. Holy shit!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Shine0n wrote:Only this one tree is ripe, all the leaves have fallen off too.

It may be on its last leg, who knows.

All of the others are still green and full of leaves and yall were right... I needed a bottle of water to get the mouth puckering away. Holy shit!
Some persimmons are astringent, some varieties are not.

Geoff
The Baker
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

When fully ripe the bitter taste will be gone.

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Not all of the tree is ready but I'm taking a tarp and lay under the tree to collect what falls per day and freeze
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

20180910_200632-900x900.jpg
This is one of the green ones, both of these trees are loaded and I think I'm going to have a hard time getting all of them without climbing the trees.

The tallest step ladder I have is 10' but I do have a 24' extension latter. Maybe the tarp under as I shake them real good?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Shine0n wrote:
20180910_200632-900x900.jpg
This is one of the green ones, both of these trees are loaded and I think I'm going to have a hard time getting all of them without climbing the trees.

The tallest step ladder I have is 10' but I do have a 24' extension latter. Maybe the tarp under as I shake them real good?
Yes, tarp and shake. Maybe even a long version of crankys apple picker on a telescoping pole.
Those are definitely wild persimmons though.
When they first start dropping you have to be quick. Every animal around will eat them from the ground and if able climb up after them.

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

We don't have to many critters around my house, I shot the most of them the last 3 years for getting in my garden.

I hope they make some good likker!

You mention the seeds not being bad, what's your take on leaving them for the mead? I'd love to just crush, pectic enzyme for 24 hours and ferment.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Shine0n wrote:We don't have to many critters around my house, I shot the most of them the last 3 years for getting in my garden.

I hope they make some good likker!

You mention the seeds not being bad, what's your take on leaving them for the mead? I'd love to just crush, pectic enzyme for 24 hours and ferment.
That's the way I do it. They don't affect the taste. The one time I tried picking them all out I thought I was going crazy, lol. Didn't notice a flavor difference either.

Even coyotes and dogs will eat persimmons. It's rather funny when shall eat the ones from the ground that have laid there for a few days... The begin to ferment, ever seen a drunk raccoon?
There is a few trees on some public land that I know of that drop fruit in mid October here.... I've found box tortoises under those trees eating the wind fall fruits. It's crazy the diversity of animals that will zone in on wild fruits.

Deo Vendice

cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

jb-texshine wrote:
cranky wrote:I've been wanting to do persimmons forever but it's one of the few fruits I can't get here. I think JB was supposed to send me some seeds a while back so I could grow my own trees but it never happened :( If I recall correctly he has done persimmons several times with good results. You are lucky to have them. I'm surprised they are ripening so early. When I was growing up back in Oklahoma they were never ripe until just after the first frost, then you had to rush to try to beat the various birds and other animals to them.
Sorry cranky, it slipped my mind with all that has transpired in the past year and a half or so.
As johnny and Waylon said"aint no love in an evil hearted woman"...
Jb
I know. You have had a lot going on.
fruitfreak
Novice

Post by fruitfreak »

These must be the Asian type of persimmions. If you heat up the persimmons at my house, they will become super astringent. All of mine are 1 1/2 times the size of a grape. They must be.used fully ripe, and never have heat applied. Even the ripest fruit will become bitter again if heat is applied.