Sweet corn panty dropper?

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hambone
Rumrunner

Sweet corn panty dropper?

Post by Hambone »

So indulge me for a sec…

I’ve been anxiously awaiting the ripening of sweet corn in my neck of the woods. I’ve been disappointed (as were most posters) in the threads describing sweet corn mashes. But how to harness the goodness of sweet corn without mashing a truckload of it?

Would a maceration of sweet corn work, panty dropper style? Anyone ever heard of such sorcery?

Now that I’ve thought of it, I’m going to have to try it.

Sometimes I wish golf was my hobby…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sweet corn panty dropper?

Post by still_stirrin »

Hambone wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm So indulge me for a sec…

I’ve been anxiously awaiting the ripening of sweet corn in my neck of the woods. I’ve been disappointed (as were most posters) in the threads describing sweet corn mashes. But how to harness the goodness of sweet corn without mashing a truckload of it?

Would a maceration of sweet corn work, panty dropper style? Anyone ever heard of such sorcery? <— you would get a very starchy, cloudy mess. OK, so you’d get corn flavor, but the starch (astringent) would outweigh any flavor benefits. Yuk.

Well…good luck with your experiment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:57 pm
Hambone wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm So indulge me for a sec…

Would a maceration of sweet corn work, panty dropper style? Anyone ever heard of such sorcery? <— you would get a very starchy, cloudy mess. OK, so you’d get corn flavor, but the starch (astringent) would outweigh any flavor benefits. Yuk.

Well…good luck with your experiment.
ss
Do you predict the starch would settle like pectin in fruit maceration? That was my thought…

Anyway, I done stupid things before. So says my wife…

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Hambone wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:08 pm Do you predict the starch would settle like pectin in fruit maceration? That was my thought…
I think the alcohol will dissolve the corn oils from the corn, so you’ll likely get an “oil slick” on top. But, it will also leach out the starch, making your maceration look like the pot of starch water you get when you boil potatoes. I doubt it will settle (appreciably). Sure, you may get a little sediment in the jars, but it won’t clear.

I guess you could rerun it after maceration, but you’ll be running a starchy wash and that will have the potential to scorch. Tricky.
ss
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s a thought if you’re after “big sweet corn flavor” —> make a big ole’ pot of creamed corn!!

I’m sure your wife knows how to do that. Baking in the oven will gelatinize the starch and the enzymes will make it sweet and saucy. Then, rather than serve it for dinner (OK, dip your finger into it to taste it first), cool it off (adding cool water will help cool it as well as thin the pudding). Add it to your fermenter and pitch some yeast.

Your kitchen will smell yummy. And your still shed will smell just as delicious.
ss
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I get big corn flavor from my AG corn mashes. Just kicking around a different take since it’s panty dropper season…

I’ve got a bunch of neutral, so what the hell…

Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

What did you come up with? And how did it turn out?
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

My sweet corn is about ready to pick, so hope I’ll start within a week. I have learned that starches will precipitate in 70% ABV, so I’ll probably start with 75% to (hopefully) mitigate the starch issues…

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

As another person who has done a lot of stupid things and supports others who do the same, :crazy: , I will weigh in…..

As an alternative to macerate corn in neutral, what if you mashed a really small batch of corn and simply mixed in some of the oily layer that floats to the top when it settles?

I am interested to hear how this turns out Hambone.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Might be a thought to do it like a gin and macerate/filter/distill to help mitigate starchy solids.. Or mash/convert a corn beer and use that to proof a base spirit to end up with a sweet spirit?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I'm no corn guru, but if you are using fresh corn the sugars will not yet have converted into starch. As I understand it the corn kernels will be sweet when picked at the most desirable point of ripeness for consumption and the sugars don't get lock up as starches until further along in the ripening and drying stages. Using fresh corn might be a way to get a corn ferment without a mashing? No idea if anyone has tried it.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

zed255 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 am I'm no corn guru, but if you are using fresh corn the sugars will not yet have converted into starch. As I understand it the corn kernels will be sweet when picked at the most desirable point of ripeness for consumption and the sugars don't get lock up as starches until further along in the ripening and drying stages. Using fresh corn might be a way to get a corn ferment without a mashing? No idea if anyone has tried it.
You beat me to it. Corn picked for eating is considered the milk stage.

Could possibly press the corn for juice and proof the neutral with it.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Hambone wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:33 am My sweet corn is about ready to pick, so hope I’ll start within a week. I have learned that starches will precipitate in 70% ABV, so I’ll probably start with 75% to (hopefully) mitigate the starch issues…

Hambone, what was the outcome of this experiment?
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

It may have caused him to lose interest in the whole process. Hasn't logged in for months.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:55 pm It may have caused him to lose interest in the whole process. Hasn't logged in for months.

Damn, it must have gone REAL bad
Buck Owens
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

This is interesting to me. Amping up corn flavor in a neutral spirit.

I wonder if a there’s a solution to the starch problem. What if you actually mashed a small amount of corn, added enzymes and got it to a point where everything’s converted, ferment ready, then used that sugar-y liquid to back sweeten and flavor neutral. It’ll definitely taste like corn! You could also boil the liquid to sterilize it, although, high proof neutral will probably do that just fine.

Could be an interesting experiment. Different than a panty dropper though, possibly easier… hmm.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:02 am This is interesting to me. Amping up corn flavor in a neutral spirit.
Would a 1.5 technique get you there? i.e. say you make 4 fermenter buckets' worth of corn, strip 3 of them, then dump the 4th along with low wines in the boiler for a spirit run.

I guess if your reflux is "too efficient" it would strip all the flavor out regardless?
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

A 1.5 run would definitely give you corn flavor.

My comment was more geared towards an existing neutral spirit you’re looking to flavor with corn. Since panty droppers are sweet drinks that need to be proofed down, sweet/converted corn mash might give you a more direct impact of flavor without distillation and get you the dilution water for free.

Who knows, could be gross, but I do love the flavor of a sweet mash ready to pitch.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I have done a 1.5ish with ujssm, 3g of lows and 2 gallons of fermented mash i had put back for the run. It is sweet, smooth and full of corn flavor
Buck Owens
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Hambone wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm

Maybe practicing for uspga?
Buck Owens
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

maybe throw a dash of sweetened corn backset into your final product, if you've ever tasted it you know it is concentrated corn flavor.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Sorry I couldn't help I wasn't on the forum back then had to take a hiatus. But I can tell you from experience trying to get flavor from soaking your distillate on corn does not work. At least it didn't for me.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Maybe try a small corn mash, separate and clear the "beer", use that as a mixer?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

pumpman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:40 pm Sorry I couldn't help I wasn't on the forum back then had to take a hiatus. But I can tell you from experience trying to get flavor from soaking your distillate on corn does not work. At least it didn't for me.
What corn were you using? Fresh, ripe, sweet, corn ready for eating, or mature seed?

Did you use the Panty Dropper method? viewtopic.php?t=2199
If you did, what ratios of corn and sugar to distillate compared to the SPD method?
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

We didn't experiment too much with it but one friend of mine used whole kernel canned corn and I used a creamed corn with figure we would have gotten some kind of flavor out of those but we just soaked it in our liquor
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

how about some sour corn chunks briefs destroyer