Mint

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mint

Postby Bushman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 am

First attempt at mint. Picked mint from the garden and ran it through the food processor. After I ran it through the still I put it in tall skinny bottles with a long neck and refrigerated hoping for separation. In a couple weeks I will draw the oil out using a stainless steel food injector I have for my smoking of meat. Below are a few pictures.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Bushman
Global moderator

Re: Mint

Postby Jimy Dee » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Bushman, what is your end goal here? Mint is pungent and a spearmint is a lovely taste. Never thought of putting it into likker. Potential for an interesting thread. Subscribed. JD
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Bushman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:41 pm

No real plans just experimenting with different herbs seeing what results I can attain. Last year I left my lavender as a hydrosol putting it in a spray bottle. I have a friend who's wife buys a lot of essential oils using them for health purposes so I might ask her for suggestions.
Bushman
Global moderator

Postby JellybeanCorncob » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Bushman wrote:First attempt at mint. Picked mint from the garden and ran it through the food processor. After I ran it through the still I put it in tall skinny bottles with a long neck and refrigerated hoping for separation. In a couple weeks I will draw the oil out using a stainless steel food injector I have for my smoking of meat. Below are a few pictures.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

About a month ago I picked all the mint in my yard. About a pounds worth. I made the mistake of not breaking the cell walls of the leaves in a food processor and my extraction of essential oil was less than expected. My fault. But I did get good separation of hydrosol and mint oil. The first time I attempted essential oils I ran the boiler too hot. The result was minimal oil and lots of hydrosols. As I'm learning; running the boiler slower (i.e. less heat) seemed to work better for separation of oil. The sepratory funnel is a great tool for separating the oils from the hydrosols. From what you wrote I gather you had no seperation? Like you I'm experimenting. I use things I can source free. Please let us know if there is separation when refrigerated.
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Swill Maker

Postby JellybeanCorncob » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Jimy Dee wrote:Bushman, what is your end goal here? Mint is pungent and a spearmint is a lovely taste. Never thought of putting it into likker. Potential for an interesting thread. Subscribed. JD

Jimy: I think the concentrated mint oil could be used in mixers for a mint essence. I made a Valencia orange essential oil liqueur. I used 4 drops oil in a 250 mil solution of half simple syrup, half 150 Proof rice vodka. We had our neighbor over for dinner and for desert we had the orange liqueur. Her take on the mix was: "This is Marvelous". We finished the bottle. :ebiggrin:
Talk soon.
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Swill Maker

Postby The Baker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Jimy Dee wrote:Bushman, what is your end goal here? Mint is pungent and a spearmint is a lovely taste. Never thought of putting it into likker. Potential for an interesting thread. Subscribed. JD

Creme de Menthe.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller

Postby HDNB » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:14 pm

i've been toying with the idea of moscow mule as a ready-to drink, just add soda kind of beverage, basically Jimbo's ginger with a hint of mint.

the only mint i have on the farm grows out of my septic slough so the source is less than tantalizing. if you try it, post up the results!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Postby Bushman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:05 am

I will experiment with the next run by going slower to see if that makes a difference. In my essential oil book it says if you don't have any separation after 2-4 weeks add salt. The suggested amount is 1.5-3.8 oz per quart.
Bushman
Global moderator

Postby JellybeanCorncob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:50 am

I think volume is the culprit here. The potential %yeald for peppermint is 1.0 - 2.5. I have a 44qt turkey fryer I’m converting to a essential oil boiler. I bet if I pack it with whatever I want to extract it will give me something to show for all the work I’ve put in. Like you Bushman, I’m doing this for fun. My sister and another friend are who I’ll make the oils for mostly. Now I have to wait till the mint has grown back before I can try it again. I’ll have to try salt in the hydrosol. I’m real interested in your results.
Please let us know if it helps in recovery of oils.
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Swill Maker

Postby Bushman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:00 pm

My run although had a strong smell was not showing the look of tails (foggy looking). So I dumped it back into my 5 gallon still added more water but not as much as before, and added 4 times the processed mint and reran it today. Collected 1/3 of what I did the other day and started the next collection but cut it off when I realized that there wasn't near the oil coming out. Think I'm getting a feel for it. Next week when I get back from boating I plan to do lavender.
Bushman
Global moderator

Return to Essential Oils