Gin Hydrosol

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

iamkeiran
Novice

Gin Hydrosol

Post by iamkeiran »

So I follow on youtube Barley and Hopps, and he is usually pretty great. A mix of years of experience as well as some chemistry behind distilling. He recently did a gin from making a hydrosol. I'll summarise what he did and then ask if anyone has tried this.

He made the hydrosol by adding 35g Juniper, 2g Coriander, 2g Cardamon, 2g Orris Root. He added 400ml water, distilled and collected 75ml of Hydrosol. He then added 75ml of 95% alcohol to get a 150ml. He then added 1ml of this concoction with 100ml of 40% alcohol to get a ready to drink gin which he said he loves.

So I am going to try this but the measurements seem odd based off my research. To distill gin, most would say for a 1L run, you would use 20-25g Juniper, 10g coriander, 2g cardamon, Orris, orange, lemon, whatever you want really.

So my question is, has anyone done this method? Made a "gin" hydrosol to add to neutral to make a decent gin? If so, how did you work out what measurements to use? Are there some botanicals that would not work really in a gin hydrosol? For example, my usual staple gin has the following: Juniper, Coriander, angelica root, Lemon peel, Ginger, rosemary, lavendar... \

Would love some advice, thoughts, experience in this, in making a hydrosol to make gin.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Gin Hydrosol

Post by NZChris »

My advice is to stop watching Barley & Hops. Don't confuse enthusiasm with expertise and knowledge.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Firstly, this particular youtuber is a known idiot, so don't put a lot of stock in what he says.

"Hydrosol" isn't a very good word and is incorrect in this context. What you're describing here is an, essential oil extraction as it uses alcohol instead of just water. In which case its just gin. People do concentrate gin and botanical elements for blending, but I don't think that's what's going on here.

Sooo essentially you're asking if you can make gin, and putting a bad process in the way. The botanical formula is definitely off from what is considered to be normal, but if that's how YOU like it that's fine.

I would strongly suggest you give a regular recipe, like Odin's Easy Gin, a try before you proceed any further.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by acfixer69 »

Hell Chris I couldn't have said that better.
iamkeiran
Novice

Post by iamkeiran »

This is a hobby. Reading the responses above, is what makes this hobby less fun. When you reply to someone on these posts who are asking genuine questions, you should think, "am i adding value to help this person move forward". Telling me someone is an idiot, doesn't give me any instructions to move forward with my question on this thread.

I have done Odin's gin. I have made many gins of different complexities over 2 years now. I am asking, as part of having a hobby, is playing around with different techniques and trying new things.

I have not made gin using a "hydrosol" before. Hence I asked if anyone has done this. If you have not and have nothing to contribute towards my questions, I am not sure why you have to add anything to the conversation. Just don't reply. If my question was, is Barley and Hops a known idiot, then sure, your comments are welcome.

I am trying to keep this fun but also learn. So positive and informative replies are welcome. The rest, the toxic part of this community, can please comment elsewhere. Thanks so much!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Try it yourself, report back, and thus you would then be adding value back to the community. Much better approach than asking what if. Not like there's alot of loss in the experiment. From here I'm going to speculate that no one else has, and you will be our tester. You even have real gin experience to compare. Pm me when you have said results, and I'll unlock the thread for your follow up.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."