Botanical distillation for alcoholic beverages

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

Botanical distillation for alcoholic beverages

Post by Demy »

This requires a bit of explanation before. There is a maceration method in alcohol of herbs / spices to produce liqueurs. There is a maceration method in alcohol, then distill for example to produce gin.
Question: Someone ever tried to distill in water or steam and then produce a liqueur, gin or other? I believe there are differences compared to maceration in alcohol ... I thought you could use all that comes out of distillation (essential oil + hydrolate) to produce alcoholic beverage (replacing the water of the recipe with hydrolate) .. thanks to all
Bushman
Admin

Re: Botanical distillation for alcoholic beverages

Post by Bushman »

Interesting idea, let me see if I understand what you are saying. You create a hydrosol without separation and then redistill by mixing it with a neutral to make say your gin thus bypassing the masceration step.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 am Interesting idea, let me see if I understand what you are saying. You create a hydrosol without separation and then redistill by mixing it with a neutral to make say your gin thus bypassing the masceration step.
Yes, right. If you want to prepare a liqueur (water, alcohol + botanists, sugar) you could try with hydrolated without separation, sugar, alcohol.