New essential oil rig

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

New essential oil rig

Post by Rain Distillate »

When I first got moonshine fever I of course acted immediately (without doing proper research) which left me with a dismantled aluminum pressure cooker that's been sitting around for a few years now.(because i started to do research and immediately found out you cant use aluminum.)

Now I know its not okay to distill ethanol in aluminum but is it okay to use for essential oils? the herbs will be in the column having no contact with the aluminum.

I would still do a sacrificial ethanol run to clean the rig though right?

Doing a steam check at the moment so any feedback would be great to help me with the next step.

Fyi I made this from spare parts i had laying around. Not one additional cent has been spent on this project.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Re: New essential oil rig

update-
it failed pressure test. I'll take a look at the thrift store tomorrow after ice fishing. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent boiler with a decent cover, or maybe even a nice tea kettle.

I'd still like to know if aluminum boiler is okay to use for essential oils

thanks
Rain
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

I wouldn't. I wouldn't be so concerned with Leaching as I would be failure of the vessel itself. Aluminum tends to pit as it oxidizes and can leak out high proof hot alcoho. For the few dollar difference use ss or copper. Why ry to skirt the rules of safety here. A still is a still.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rain distillate wrote:I'd still like to know if aluminum boiler is okay to use for essential oils
The best words to live by are "Just say NO to aluminum!"... It's just not worth the risk... We've had members scoff at the advice only to come back and admit we were right... No need repeating the mistakes of others...
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

yakattack wrote:I wouldn't. I wouldn't be so concerned with Leaching as I would be failure of the vessel itself. Aluminum tends to pit as it oxidizes and can leak out high proof hot alcoho. For the few dollar difference use ss or copper. Why ry to skirt the rules of safety here. A still is a still.

Yak

I do not believe you read the post. THIS IS NOT AN ALCOHOL STILL. No hot alcohol to worry about, just water/steam.

I checked the thrift shop today with no luck I left empty handed. I'll keep an eye out for something s.s..... for now i guess I'm on the hunt.
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

if just water and steam i dont see any difference from the use as a kitchen pressure cooker. Aluminium is sentive to extreme pH, as long as you are neutral more or less it should be fine.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

manu de hanoi wrote:if just water and steam i dont see any difference from the use as a kitchen pressure cooker. Aluminium is sentive to extreme pH, as long as you are neutral more or less it should be fine.
+1, should be no problem.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Using S.S. Mixing bowls clamped together. I ditched the pressure cooker awhile ago and posted new rig pics in different EO thread.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Hi rain, couldn't find the link to your pics...could you put them up again here, if it's not to much of a trouble !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

kiwi Bruce wrote:Hi rain, couldn't find the link to your pics...could you put them up again here, if it's not to much of a trouble !

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 95&t=63983