Lemon essential oil

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lemon essential oil

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I’m kind of new to extracting essential oils from plants but this is my first success. My rosemary produced little oil but that’s a different story. My sister has been playing around with different extracts (store bought). Mostly she uses them in diffusers for aroma therapy. She also has me making vanilla extract with my nuteral spirits.
So I have a Meyer lemon tree that is loaded with lemons. And yes I make Lemoncello with the lemons also. I’ve dedicated my 3gal copper still for making essential oils.
41518517-2BEA-4227-A240-372EF89E71CA.jpeg
We picked and zested around 60 lemons.
We saved the juce for lemonade
We saved the juce for lemonade
Then I put the zest right in the boiler with RO water.
I brought the heat up to a boil then backed the heat down to a slow boil like you would cook pasta in. Lo and behold lemon extract was building up on top of the hydrosol.
EF212DE0-6079-4B16-A3EC-DBC08904E17F.jpeg
I ran the still for about 45 minuets.

The result was about 8ml of Pretty damn pure lemon oil.
Lemon oil on top/ hydrosol below
Lemon oil on top/ hydrosol below
5ml bottles
5ml bottles
All in all I consider this a success.
Next time my sister is over we’re going to try making peppermint oil with the mint that is growing like weeds all over my yard.
JBC
JBC
Bushman
Admin

Re: Lemon essential oil

Post by Bushman »

Congratulations, where did you get your collection vessel? Looks like something I would like to add to my equipment. I am guessing you drained the water from the bottom keeping the oil in the vessel. We can get large bags of lemons at Costco to zest then use the lemons for other purposes. Thanks for sharing the post.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bushman wrote:Congratulations, where did you get your collection vessel? Looks like something I would like to add to my equipment. I am guessing you drained the water from the bottom keeping the oil in the vessel. We can get large bags of lemons at Costco to zest then use the lemons for other purposes. Thanks for sharing the post.
The Separatory Funnel works great. Amazon or a scintific lab equipment store has them. They even have glass funnels that fit snugly in the hole on the top. Mine is 500ml. Also if you have a microzester it will make your life much easier.
987E18E9-2203-4064-AF13-5216216F6642.jpeg
A48696B7-B5CB-4804-88A9-8B4E991A087B.jpeg
JBC
JBC
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Been trying to figure out a use for all the lemons and limes I get when I get the produce from the grocery for my animals. If I run them through my stand-alone garbage disposal is chops them up pretty fine. I have a cider press on order. I wonder if I can separate the juice that way and distill the oil from what is left. I get loads of citrus and the chickens only eat so many.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That is exactly the tool I use for zesting really works great!
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

badflash wrote:Been trying to figure out a use for all the lemons and limes I get when I get the produce from the grocery for my animals. If I run them through my stand-alone garbage disposal is chops them up pretty fine. I have a cider press on order. I wonder if I can separate the juice that way and distill the oil from what is left. I get loads of citrus and the chickens only eat so many.
I know that everything I’ve read says to zest the lemon. And I know that if you have pith in your vapor path as in making gin it will make your product bitter. Sorry I can’t be more help. If you have the time and energy give it a try, then let us know. Zesting 60 lemons is time consuming. :esurprised:
Also: chickens eat lemons?
JBC
JBC
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
badflash wrote:Been trying to figure out a use for all the lemons and limes I get when I get the produce from the grocery for my animals. If I run them through my stand-alone garbage disposal is chops them up pretty fine. I have a cider press on order. I wonder if I can separate the juice that way and distill the oil from what is left. I get loads of citrus and the chickens only eat so many.
I know that everything I’ve read says to zest the lemon. And I know that if you have pith in your vapor path as in making gin it will make your product bitter. Sorry I can’t be more help. If you have the time and energy give it a try, then let us know. Zesting 60 lemons is time consuming. :esurprised:
Also: chickens eat lemons?
JBC
Has anyone tried oranges, the pith isn't as bad as lemons.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

My chickens eat lemons and oranges if you cut them open.
I will try oranges as I get the most of them. An orange cut in half goes through my disposer without any water.
I wonder if my Mr. Distiller will work if I put in a bunch of pulp. Worth a try.
trubbubble
Novice

Post by trubbubble »

I got a really good yield from lemons by putting the peels in a blender with water and making a puree then boiling that.
1 bag worth of lemons from Costco gave me 15ml of oil doing it this way. The more cell walls you break open, the more oil you get.

The setup I have has a glass chamber that sits above the boiling flask that you are supposed to put the plant material into and then let steam pass through it on the way to the condenser. That may work for some things but it did not work well at all for citrus. I'm going to try lemongrass at some point and see how that goes.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Bushman wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:34 am .....We can get large bags of lemons at Costco to zest then use the lemons for other purposes. Thanks for sharing the post.
Hi Bushman
Just out of interest, what do you do with your left over lemons that have been peeled / zested?

Trying to workout what to do with my pile of them!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:52 pm
Bushman wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:34 am .....We can get large bags of lemons at Costco to zest then use the lemons for other purposes. Thanks for sharing the post.
Hi Bushman
Just out of interest, what do you do with your left over lemons that have been peeled / zested?

Squeeze and freeze the juice.
That's what I do. (Great in various sorts of tarts).

It's frustrating, right now the neighbour's tree has lots of lemons and I can't use any more.

Geoff
The Baker
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

trubbubble wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:07 am I'm going to try lemongrass at some point and see how that goes.
Pretty damn good I’d say, I put some shredded lemongrass and Kaffir Lime leaves in an infusion chamber on my pot still on a stripping run (to prove a concept), and the flavours came across really well :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:52 pm
Hi Bushman

If you zest them the peel is still on the lemon, but a lot of times my wife will squeeze the lemon juice and put them in ice trays and freeze for later use.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Once zested the lemons dry out pretty quickly...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hambone wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:20 pm Once zested the lemons dry out pretty quickly...
Seal in a plastic bag for a short term solution to that?

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Thank you all.
I am going to squeeze and freeze most, make a little lemon cordial with some also.
Have a great day.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....