Silicon gasket material

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Silicon gasket material

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I was in the thrift store looking for glassware or cool bottles to put my spirits in and I came across a bayou classic turkey fryer kit. It's a 44 qt pot, lid and burner stand. Never been used. $8.99. This is a BOP! I have all the equipment I need for making spirits so I figure I can make a essential oil boiler out of it. Then maybe I can get larger yields of oils.
It's easy enough to put a stainless steel column and liebig on the lid. But the opening from lid to pot is quite large. I'm wondering if a silicon gasket will work as a seal? I will never be using this still for making any type of alcohol. Is there a problem with this? And one more question please. Where can I get silicon, or ptfe sheets so I can make my own gasket?
IRS20180817_162444.jpg
Thanks in advance.
JBC
JBC
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Silicon gasket material

Post by Yummyrum »

You can use nuetral cure silicone as used in fish tanks and squeeze it between two sheets of paper sandwished between two sheets of glass . Use match sticks to keep the gap even .
When it cures , cut the shape with a blade . The paper will wash off .

Seen also sme do it with a smear of vasaline on the glass .

For the casual observer ... note we do not condone the use of Silicone for use un alcohol used for consumption .
This is suggested in this case as it will not be consumed ... I hope

Also if there is a rim on the pot lid you could apply it directly to that and smooth off surface as you would when applying silicone to any surface

However the safest way would be to make a large copper ring and wrap it in teflon tape :thumbup:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Nine bucks!!!

Geoff
The Baker
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yummyrum wrote:You can use nuetral cure silicone as used in fish tanks and squeeze it between two sheets of paper sandwished between two sheets of glass . Use match sticks to keep the gap even .
When it cures , cut the shape with a blade . The paper will wash off .

Seen also sme do it with a smear of vasaline on the glass .

For the casual observer ... note we do not condone the use of Silicone for use un alcohol used for consumption .
This is suggested in this case as it will not be consumed ... I hope

Also if there is a rim on the pot lid you could apply it directly to that and smooth off surface as you would when applying silicone to any surface

However the safest way would be to make a large copper ring and wrap it in teflon tape :thumbup:
Thanks Yummy: I'm hoping to buy material and cut out a gasket that can be used over and over again. Leaching can be a problem because the oils will be used medicinally. That's why I'm asking if silicone only leaches with alcohol or if it leaches with steam also. Ill continue to research. If anyone knows where I can buy silicone or ptfe sheets of gasket material I would be most grateful.
The Baker wrote:Nine bucks!!!

Geoff
One of my better finds. It was missing 3 bolts, the burner and regulator. I don't think they knew what they had.
Lucky me :ebiggrin:
JBC
JBC
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:I was in the thrift store looking for glassware or cool bottles to put my spirits in and I came across a bayou classic turkey fryer kit.
It's a 44 qt pot, lid and burner stand. Never been used. $8.99.
JBC
So raise your hand if you're going to check out your local thrift store now.
Raise Your Hand.jpg
Raise Your Hand.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

TDick wrote:
So raise your hand if you're going to check out your local thrift store now.
Raise Your Hand.jpg
:clap: :lol: That's the description of my town

Though in due respect to the OP I believe a large handmade gasket PTFE would be safer, cheaper, and easier to obtain. Check out the PTFE gasket threads if you can, they should be reusable to my experience they are. Hope this help's
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

My presure cooker has a food grade silicone seal . Even after I wash it If I cook a curry in it , it smells of curry . If I cook soup in it , it smells of soup .
So I have to say I’m not sure if silicone leaches but it certanly seems porous and retains the last thping that it came in contact with . Perhaps not ideal n your case if you will be making different oils and want to prevent contamination .But you say it will be a medicine so that rules Silicone out as far as this Forum is concerned .
Best stick with teflon .
You can buy teflon gasket sheet . Web seach should find it .
There are solid and foam types a available . Bloody expensive per meter though IIRC
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

So I worded my HD search a little differently and came up with this: viewtopic.php?t=24199#p6929534
My biggest concern with Yummy’s ptfe tape gasket was the copper gasket. Kind of expensive and wasteful.
Damn. I’m gonna try it the “Salmon” way. Make a cardboard gasket and wrap the hell out of it with ptfe tape. If that doesn’t work I there is always flower paste.
Thanks guys for great input.
JBC
JBC
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I don't know your pot dimensions, but US Plastics has a 12x12" x 1/16 sheet you could cut out for $24. Kinda pricy, but the leftovers can be cut out for jar liners.

PTFE Sheet
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer