Distilling Blue Lotus essential oil and hydrosol

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Zoe_zoey
Novice

Distilling Blue Lotus essential oil and hydrosol

Post by Zoe_zoey »

Making Hydrosol & Essential Oil With Blue Lotus
I have had an interest in the distillation of essential oils and hydrosols since witnessing a distillation of rose essential oil while at my friend's field years ago. I found it fascinating how they would go out and harvest the rose, cut off the leaves and stems of the rose, Wash and prepare the petals. And I shall always remember the aroma of rose that wafted heavily throughout the air as the steam condensed back into the water to be sent over to large industrial containers to collect the essential oil and the hydrosol. 
old distiller.jpg
Now I found the distilling equipment online it's not that big and I can easier make essential oil and hydrosol at home. The Hand-hammered pots, columns, and hats came with quality copper and impeccable craftsmanship. I’ve worked on about 5 different copper stills over the years and none have matched the quality and craftsmanship of this delivered. 

Ingredients: 500g Blue Lotus. 1000ml pure water
Method: Steam distillation
The Blue lotus is loaded into a still along with pure water. (At Aromatics, we use pristine mountain well water)
copper distiller with blue lotus.jpg
After all the parts are fitted together and the pump is submerged into water to cool the condenser, we turn on the heat. 
heating.jpg
The essential oil naturally separates, floating to the top. Once filled, we're ready to assemble the still. There is an essential oil separator that allows us to release the hydrosol below the oil.
Separated essential oil.jpg