Wiki updates: Looking for your input

Discussions pertaining to the homedistiller wiki.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Wiki updates: Looking for your input

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Hey everyone - The wiki has been up an running for a while. I would love to hear any input that anyone has to make improvements to it. I'm thinking about rebuilding the Beginner's Guide so it's more friendly to read. Any suggestions to the Main Page or anything else would be appreciated also.

Cheers everyone!
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Wiki updates: Looking for your input

Post by EricTheRed »

Just a newbie's 2 cents.
Been reading this forum for 2 years, love it.
The required reading and novice reading lounge could use a numbered guide to lead you through the material in a logical and proper order.
A lot of info is sorta buried, perhaps a way to bring it to the foreground without being cluttered by bad advise and rubbish opinions.
Just my 2 cents
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Another noob's opinion:

There is a lot of good and quite a bit of not so good. The first one or two levels are well organized but there are some parts that lead to outdated information. In deeper levels it just leads to forum threads with a lot of unrelated info and long discussions.

I can't retrace my steps now but I ended up on a page that made me think either a valved VM or a bokabob were my best choices. Thank goodness i joined the forum and someone pointed me to a CCVM.

That leads to another issue, a up to date lingo guide is too hard to find. It took me a week to figure out what a @#$_&! CCVM was!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

If you're looking for volunteers, let me know. I used to be pretty good at markup. Give me a section that needs work and I'll see what I can do.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

elbono wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm I ended up on a page that made me think either a valved VM or a bokabob were my best choices. Thank goodness i joined the forum and someone pointed me to a CCVM.
To this day there is nothing wrong with Bokas or VMs.......it just depends on what you want to do and make....a CCVM is just one more option. It cant/wont do anything that the others cant.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

You're right but wherever I got to didn't mention the CCVM or CCLM for that matter. Just way out of date info.

I can't give a reason other than I think it's neat but I may build a CCLM next
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Sorry, not a wiki update, but perhaps a more prominent place for rules on plastics?
"The rules we live by" currently just says synthetics- which includes ptfe by definition
I was trying to find a clear blurb in the newbies section, but if its there, its not suitably titled. Should be a sticky in the required reading?

We would possibly keep more newbies if they dont get blasted for infringing on an issue they are unaware of, especially given that a pretty big majority of the commercial stills sold are full of silicon seals (especially glassers). Might save the mods from a bit of typing and busting a valve or two.

Forgive me if im blind and its somewhere really obvious.... but if i cant see it looking for it? Seems to happen on a daily basis, newbies who have done some reading but unaware until they get pulled up mid thread, its not uncommon that the thread gets derailed/abandoned as a result.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

The deffinition of thumper and what it does is poor. The link to "doubler" gives a blank page. Personally I have no use for, or investment in thumpers - but I think this explanation could be improved. You could edit the following text or add to it. You could kill the dead link to "doubler" and combine it on the same page with "thumper".

https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Thumper
------------------------------

A thumper (or thump barrel or doubler) strengthens the purity of the distillate. Either fresh beer or warmed up "backings" (singlings or low wines that yet have a good percentage of alcohol left from the initial run) are placed in the thumper barrel; so that new vapor coming from the still must bubble up through this liquid. The steam now strengthened in purity, moves either to an optional heater box (a container before the flake stand, used to pre-heat new beer- yet to be run) or to the worm. It takes longer to initialize a pot still that has a thumper than one without; because there is more to bring up to working temperature before peak effeciency can be reached.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking at these changes and see where I can start. I appreciate your help.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Single Malt .

I used to refer to the “old parent site “ a
lot . When it come to distilling theory , that stuff was gold .

Wish it was in the wiki .
At least a link to where it’s archived