Missing info?

Discussions pertaining to the homedistiller wiki.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Missing info?

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Just wondering if we should start adding info on how to actually make stills, electric controllers, soldering etc?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Re: Missing info?

Post by metalsmith »

Well Jess, They would need to be vetted, especially electrical work. I screw up a soldier joint, I can clean it up and try again. I screw up an electric connection, no telling what could happen. Voltage on a ground, A not so “neutral” voltage to ground.

Everyone should know NOT “everything on the internet”. Is true! But.

Honestly, much of the information here is how to do this. You need to be swift enough to put the final pieces together.

Bear in mind I do risk management all day. My mind always asks, “We’ll, how can this be screwed up?”

Great site, Thanks.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

When Mulekicker was active he was making and selling controllers he also wrote a tutorial for making your own controller.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=14076&p=6842395&hi ... w#p6842395
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I think it would be great if there was a consolidated, "tried n true" section on construction of various still types. Many examples here and elsewhere but no real "I made that, it works" vetting. I have used input to do some controller work, too. It ain't rocket science. Good schematics and pictures abound. Maybe it would be good, real good, to proof 'em out and publish what works. Here again, if you can't follow pictures and simple instructions maybe you shouldn't be there an doin' that. It's best, IMHO to give people clear guidance rather than let unlimited experimentation "in the dark" clear the gene pool. :ewink:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Still: Yes. If we can find someone that can CAD or draw diagrams for parts & stuff I can make Wiki entries for them.
Electrical controllers: Yes. Again - if we can decide on two (one for 120v and one for single phase 220) we can wikify them.
Soldering: I can find a bunch of youtube stuff on that. Not sure we need to do much effort on this one. I would say we should make sure people understand materials need to be food safe, aside from that there isn't much I think we can add of value.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:Still: Yes. If we can find someone that can CAD or draw diagrams for parts & stuff I can make Wiki entries for them.
Electrical controllers: Yes. Again - if we can decide on two (one for 120v and one for single phase 220) we can wikify them.
Soldering: I can find a bunch of youtube stuff on that. Not sure we need to do much effort on this one. I would say we should make sure people understand materials need to be food safe, aside from that there isn't much I think we can add of value.
Well, I suppose the soldering info I would consider is bonding copper to stainless steel. I've seen some good threads with tips on this and I don't think it's really a common thing like soldering electrical connections or sweating copper.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I can see there a lot of still building info on here already. Basic guidelines for say column diameter vs pot size or thumper size vs pot size and the like might not be a bad idea. My be just a sticky with the basics. Funny you mentioned the copper to stainless solder trick. I was thinking about that myself tonight. Controllers are fun to build I think, but I am kinda handy with that stuff. I built a nice little pid controller to start out with and it works great. A forum for that might be a good idea.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.