New WIKI - USE IT

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

http://www.songofdixie.com/goodolerebel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

nah

Post by Uncle Jesse »

sherman did bring the war to the south and burned a huge swath through georgia. he wasnt the first or the last to do it. he was, however, the only union general who ever really made progress.

i'm a big civil war fan, i find it very interesting. i have family on both sides but not direct family in the south - just kin.

still, Lee was my favorite general. smart, principled, and dedicated to his men first and foremost. that's my idea of a leader.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

we almost certianly shouldn't drag this out because it will surely lead to politics.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

nah

Post by Uncle Jesse »

it's all just history at this point. nobody has to take sides. i find it interesting, personally, and it's been 150 years and we're still divided in the world of distilling over it. very odd, but shows exactly how much damage the war did to this nation.

plus, the effects it had on distillation are marked. many southerners moved to Oregon, for example, after the war. Oregon has a rich history of moonshining. It's said that the hills near Bend and so on used to resound at times with the sounds of thumpers warming up on stills hidden in the numerous caves. so, it all ties in with the history of our hobby.

combine it with the trappers and '49'ers and our western states have almost as broad a history and tradition with moonshine as kentucky and the southern states. but not quite.

i never did get to sample any real old-timer shine when i was in the southern states, but i had a lot of people tell me their fond stories once they found out i was a distiller. it seems like every southern native had a mom or dad who favored "corn squeezins" or "corn whisky".

i did sample some old-timer shine in california once, however, and it was absolutely awful.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Being invaded and conquered by an army who destroyed your land your way of life .Raped and murdered your familys tend to leave a lasting memory in the survivers and there decendents.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yep

Post by Uncle Jesse »

absolutely.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Uncle Jesse--might interest you to know that every morning, I drive right by Fort Humbug. For those who don't know the story, during that war, Shreveport was the capital of Louisiana (New Orleans and Baton Rouge in foreign hands). The defenders didn't have enough cannon, so they charred logs, mounted them on wheels in batteries overlooking the river, and fooled the Yankees (I understand that it worked, Shreveport wasn't captured, but surrendered at the end of the war.) The reserve fort here has a replica of one of these. Also, one of our city parks has a recently (7 or 8 years ago) identified Confederate battery (earthworks) on the Red River. Pretty cool!
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

wow!

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Very interesting man, never been to the memorials in that particular part of the country.

Red River was some ugly fighting, I know that from memory, but wooden logs as cannons? brilliant!

Rommel was famous for dragging things behind tanks to make it look like a large division was moving in one direction - before striking at another point. sort of the same idea of obfuscation.

Post by Guest »

tater wrote:Being invaded and conquered by an army who destroyed your land your way of life .Raped and murdered your familys tend to leave a lasting memory in the survivers and there decendents.
Now you know how the "Native North American" feel! :cry:
mrdrbubba
Novice

Post by mrdrbubba »

somebody seems to have desecrated the wiki homepage - is there any easy way to undo that?
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I've taken care of it. To fix the wiki, go to history, copy the old version, then paste it into the new version. There may be an even easier way, but I haven't figured it out.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

some a*se has done it again, might be u need to start to protect this page n only allow certain people access to change things, maybe people who have registered in the forums n show that they are constructive.

maybe im wrong but if u go to recent changes n look there u have an ip of someone.

5 Jul 2005
* (diff) (hist) . . Main Page; 00:57 . . 69.50.166.5 (Talk) (→Alcohol Wiki hosted by [http://homedistiller.org Home Distiller])
was this someone from here trying to fix it or do we have the a*se's ip

ok its no one from here n i suggest u dont type the ip into ur browser with any kiddies or the wife about, i can supply who ever wants it with the hosts abuse email address n details.

Hope i fixed it right, better than what was there anyway
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

My guess is that it is some sort of bot that scoures wiki's looking for main pages that are editable.

Does anyone know if there is a moderator of the wiki other than Uncle Jesse?
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner

Post by Guest »

The ip takes u directly to a page with similar to what was posted on the wiki only with photos, could be that whoever owned that ip was hit the same as the wiki was, or it could be that page is run by someone who gets paid for linking to these adult sites and uses one of these bot programs to spread his site.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

that was me above, anyway if u take the ip and run a who is search it will give u the host details.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Yttrium wrote:My guess is that it is some sort of bot that scoures wiki's looking for main pages that are editable.

Does anyone know if there is a moderator of the wiki other than Uncle Jesse?
Where, oh where, has Uncle Jesse gone?
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Uncle Jesse Looks like an actor..

Post by Blueraven »

Uncle Jesse,

Im tryin to rremember an actor that looks a heap like you..I think he played in some of the "Gunsmoke" episodes and maybe in some of the "Dukes" episodes but not sure abt that one..

Do you know who I am refering to?

Blureraven..
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

ok

Post by Uncle Jesse »

i "protected" the main page until i find a better solution
Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

Re: nah

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

[quote="Uncle Jesse"]it's all just history at this point... plus, the effects it had on distillation are marked... so, it all ties in with the history of our hobby... almost as broad a history and tradition with moonshine as kentucky... but not quite.i[/quote]

An example of how it all ties together is the fact that after the civil war, the North assigned one of its leading officers to Kentucky to be in charge of the eradication of (what else) moonshining. It was to be his second worst defeat. The officer's name, General George Armstrong Custer.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

was Custer still a general then? he didn't die with the rank of General, after all, he had been demoted and hoped his successes with the plains indians would mean reinstatement as general and a future political career.

so, it brings up a trivia question, who was the only u.s. general to die in a war against the indians, and where was it?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Major General Edward Canby was killed during a peace conference, becoming the
only general to be killed during the Indian Wars. Red River War (1874–1875) ...
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

can we make a huge photo gallerie on the wiki?
I think a lot of us are fond of looking at pictures, (I am :) ) can all the pictures we find be posted there?
how much web space do you have?

and to stay on-topic :D :wiki edward canby

stoker
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

more

Post by Uncle Jesse »

please feel free to add any and all relevant information, photos etc. included.

it's not my wiki - it belongs to all of us and all of us can influence the direction in which it grows.
stoker wrote:can we make a huge photo gallerie on the wiki?
I think a lot of us are fond of looking at pictures, (I am :) ) can all the pictures we find be posted there?

and to stay on-topic :D :wiki edward canby

stoker
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Re: more

Post by MyDBear »

Stoker wrote:can we make a huge photo gallerie on the wiki?
I think a lot of us are fond of looking at pictures, (I am ) can all the pictures we find be posted there?

Uncle Jesse wrote:please feel free to add any and all relevant information, photos etc. included.

it's not my wiki - it belongs to all of us and all of us can influence the direction in which it grows.
Wasn't that our intention in the first place, to have our Wiki evolve?
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

wanted pages

Post by Uncle Jesse »

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Wantedpages

pages we need in the Wiki, if any of you gets bored and feels like helping.
GingerBreadMan
Swill Maker

Post by GingerBreadMan »

Is it just my computer, or is the Wiki really slow at loading pages.

I've tried several times over the last couple of weeks, thinking it was a temporary thing.
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
sketchie
Novice

Post by sketchie »

Is very slow loading for me too :cry:
erbachem
Novice

Post by erbachem »

Loading is pretty slow for me too. I am getting between 15 and 60 second wait times for pages to load. It's a pity because I can really see the value of having a wiki but with that level of performance, it is just easier to search the forums.

Is there any option available for speeding this up? Anyone out there run their own hosting hardware with some spare bandwidth?
ME
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

well

Post by Uncle Jesse »

it's a mysql problem for some reason and not one I've been able to solve just yet
erbachem
Novice

Post by erbachem »

What have you tried / what do you suspect at the moment? Are you able to advise the versions of mediawiki / mysql / php that you are running? Do you have OS level access or is this hosted? If hosted, who by?

I don't claim to be a mediwiki / mysql / unix expert but I can ask some questions to some people who know more about this stuff than I do. They'll want to know versions, etc if that is the case.

Just trying to help.

regards,
Michael.
ME