Study: Kudzu helps curb binge drinking

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Study: Kudzu helps curb binge drinking

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Hmmm, that's one way to go at it. Think I'll grab a handful off the highway and give it a try. Maybe not. Chemist, Yttrium, others any idea what in kudzu might produce this effect?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditio ... index.html
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Well...one study doesn't really amount to a hill of beans when dealing with something as insanely complex as the human brain.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

Yeah, I wouldn't go chowing down on some random psychoactive weed with unknown effects and washing it down with booze, myself.

Sounds like some of my friends' idea of fun though :wink:

Get as drunk as 3.5 beers while only drinking 1.8 beers?

Interesting, but I would rather just drink 1.7 more beers, half the fun is drinking the beers anyways. As a homebrewer, beer is practically free, so that decides that.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Yup, not endorsing it, just thought it was interesting. Seems people are always trying to find alternative uses for the kudzu beast.
Billy Joe Jim Bob
Novice

Kudzu

Post by Billy Joe Jim Bob »

One of the articles I read yesterday said that the effect produced is that of satisfying the craving for alcohol. Another suggested the Kudzu intensified the effect of alcohol, so less is consumed. Whatever the theory, one one can substantiate it with scientific research. Apparently the magical ingredient is found in the flowers, and most of the nutraceutical supplements contain root extract. If anybody tries it, let me know....BJJB
Since I read of the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Puerarin, diadzin, and diadzein seem to be the active compounds, and are found mainly in the root. I don't see anything about the flowers. The seminal science comes from Harvard. Apparently, kudzu makes you satisfied (drunk?) with less alcohol. Research is continuing, but there are already "supplements" on the market.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

I wonder what happens if you make kudzu wine...
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

You'll become negatively drunk, in other words more sober than you are when completely sober!
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

Is there an episode of the Twilight Zone about that? There really should be...
Billy Joe Jim Bob
Novice

Kudzu

Post by Billy Joe Jim Bob »

Hey: I got me some of this stuff cause I was curious....

Kudzu Recovery 750 mg.
The roots and flowers of Kudzu have long been used to help lessen the desire for alcohol. These are combined with Coptis, a primary cleansing and liver supporting herb.
Ingredients: Kudzu Root, Kudzu Flower, Hovenia Fruit, Coptis Root, Poria Cocos Sclerotium, Grifola Sclerotium, Atractylodes Root, Codonopsis Root, Saussureac Root, Shen Qu-massa Fermentata Extract, Green Citrus Peel, Cardamom Fruit and Ginger Root.

It is the most horrible, vile smelling stuff you can ever imagine!
Having tried it for a few days, in the spirt of unscientic experimentation, I can say it deffinitly is a mood elevator. I don't think it caused me not to want to drink, just that I slightly more happy when I start. As far as intensifying the effect, as not to drink as much?...Don't think so.

We'll see what happens in a week or so, if I grow an arm out of my forehead, I will call it quits. I don't think it will "cure" me, and I don't think it will kill me either....BJJB
Since I read of the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

But why would you want to crave drink less, BJJB? Now making your 80 proof feel like yer drinking 160 proof I can understand. God bless you for sailing into uncharted territories in the name of science and drinkin'.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

That a new pic Holy??? Thought you were in a beer makin phase, not a yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum :wink:
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

arr aye me matey
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

even if kudzu does nothing, we need to spread the idea that it does so people will WIPE IT OUT in the south.

the amount of damage i saw from kudzu in georgia and tennessee was amazing
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Yup, all the boozers in the world couldn't eat up the forests of the stuff growing across the South.