Distilling old wine

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Distilling old wine

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Whenever I can I sample moonshine made by other local folks around here. The last two I've tasted (from two different fellas) have had a distinctive sweet taste to them (not the same taste as too much heads or tails). So I asked about them further, and turns out they were both made from "old wine." Just thought it was interesting that that's what both of these folks used. Not sure why they both happened to have enough old wine sitting around to distill (definitely not cheaper than making your own wash). I know folks use cheap wine when they're just starting out and don't want to mess with a mash.

Flavor was interesting, different from my sour mashes and rums for sure. Didn't like it as much. To each his own, distill what ya got, I guess. Anyone else mess with old/cheap wine?

I do have a case of very bad champagne in the basement I plan to recycle sometime, because I sure ain't drinking it as is.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Re: Distilling old wine

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

Virginia Gentleman wrote: I do have a case of very bad champagne in the basement I plan to recycle sometime, because I sure ain't drinking it as is.
By all means do.. I'm quite sure it turns into a very nice Cognac-style brandy. 8)

As for distilling old or bad wines, i've done that too. And if a wine i make turns out not that tasty at all i will distill it immediatly.
I have some nice brandies aging which you couldn't drink with a straight face when they were still wines. :P

KJH
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

:D

This is another reason why im getting into stilling, i like to experiment with country wines and so many end up undrinkable :( (cucumber and mint just as one) well that and i like a nice fruit brandy (although my testers did used to be in small quantaties).
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

I think leftlane had the important point--what you were tasting from these guys wasn't "moonshine" at all, but brandy.

Also, when doing pot distillation, the product from the first (often incorrectly called "stripping" sometimes--from a technical sense, stripping is removing all the congeners from the ethanol) distillation is called "low wines".
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

I will distill the champagne for sure, LeftLane. Not doing any good settin' in the basement. Will let ya'll know how it turns out. I forgot that congacs are basically made from champagne grapes.

Brett, that's mighty adventuresome of you, cucumber and mint wine! Sounds like something I would try. One of these days I hope to mess with a mint bourbon, you know, mint julep style. I think Early Times makes one, but probably adds the mint after distillation.

Off to the Graves Mountain Bluegrass Fest to hear music all day and play some in the parking lot.

Post by Guest »

I have used quite a few batches of home made wine that didn't turn out quite that good. So far, the strawberry was the best after it was distilled. mBlueberry was good...(especially after using the tater method and adding some syrup) But....my favorite was the water mellon, if ya make the syrup by simmerin' the water mellon juice on the stove for a while to evaporate alot of the water before adding it to the spirit and sugar....DAMN!! it taste like a jolly rancher. Takes a couple batches to get it right.
Jim
Novice

Post by Jim »

I have used some banana wine in my reflux still.
some things struck me funny were that the flavor or smell wasn't stripped out of the wash when it went through the scrubbers, (not a very good tasting spirt :( ) and how 2 trips through a britta filter cleaned it up to a very neutral spirt. :D

Jim
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

In Uganda, they make a product from bananas called Waragi--it's pretty nasty.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

i once tried to make a wine with banana, only i added melon, strawberry n kiwi fruit, idea was to make a tropical fruit wine, that didnt work out so well tho n ended up down the drain it smelt n tasted like vomit (high alcohol vomit tho). Now if i had just had my still back then :(
Jim
Novice

Post by Jim »

not meaning to hijack the thread

But I am glad that I am not the only one that thought bananas would make good wine, I did however make a nice dried banana wine from the banana chips at the bulk food store.

Jim
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Used banana in fruit recipe once. didnt care for it either.Had to much banana taste. almost like the peels to me at least. Had a friend who liked it.So it wasnt wasted.Made some mango other day I liked its taste
Last edited by Tater on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Just for the record....never try canteloupes.....I didn't even want to distill it cause it was so nasty.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Re: Distilling old wine

LeftLaneCruiser wrote:
Virginia Gentleman wrote: I do have a case of very bad champagne in the basement I plan to recycle sometime, because I sure ain't drinking it as is.
By all means do.. I'm quite sure it turns into a very nice Cognac-style brandy. 8)
So I ran the champagne last weekend, and it turned out pretty well. It's a 100 proof brandy/cognac that I put on oak (some charred, some not) and has already taken on a nice pale brown color and smoothed out a bit.

One neophytic question I have is re: methanol and congeners in a run like this. Do less of these compounds come across when you're running champagne or wine versus a regular grain or sugar wash? Thanks.
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

Unfortunately: no :cry:

Wines, and especially red wines, are the drinks with relatively the most methanol in them. Due to the pulpy parts in the must / mash when fermenting (the skins etc.).

KJH
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

Running another batch of orange wine either tonight or tomorrow. Should get a couple of bottles' worth of brandy out of it. I'm very excited. The last batch aged on charred apple wood for a couple of weeks and the flavors evened out considerably and the color is a lovely orangey red.

Post by Guest »

LeftLaneCruiser wrote:Unfortunately: no :cry:

Wines, and especially red wines, are the drinks with relatively the most methanol in them. Due to the pulpy parts in the must / mash when fermenting (the skins etc.).

KJH
Right, fruits in general will make more methanol than grain or sugar. Agave, though, takes the prize! Some Central/South American countries, notably Costa Rica, don't allow tequila sales because of the methanol content.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

That was me, above, somehow got bumped off.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I've often heard that pectin in fruits is what gets converted to methanol....One thing that I've been thinking about doing is dumping some pectin, used for canning fruits, into a small test wash just to see what happens.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Thanks LLC. Sounds tasty, Kato. I may steep some sliced apples in mine to play with the flavor a bit. Seems to be asking for some fruit.

I had no idea CR doesn't sell tequila. I was there a year ago and must not have ordered any. Mostly drank Imperial, smoked Derbys and carried around a bottle of a local Aguardente de Cana which I really like. Made from sugar cane, similar to rum.
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

VG If you can find them, you might try some sour-flesh cherries or some black currant. They have flavors very complementary to wine, and might be just what your cognac is looking for.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Cool, the crunchy organic grocery probably has them. I've soaked plain old cherries in shine and it tasted good, plus the cherries have quite a kick if you eat them.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

The wife happened to have a bag of black currants in the cupboard so I threw a small handful into a quart of my brandy that's a nice light brown from the oak it's sitting on. Our fiddle player loves gin raisins (soak white raisins in gin and eat the raisins) so she'll be the first taste tester.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Kato, the currants turned out real nice. Slightly sweet, real compliment to the brandy/cognac and oak. And the currants themselves are pretty tasty to eat too. THanks for the tip!
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

You're welcome, VG. Glad to hear the currants helped. I might try something along those lines in my own brandy.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I've just gotta try currents in my brandy.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Woe is me :(

Yesterday I bottled four litres of brandy. I filtered it through a coffee filter, added a smidgin of sherry and a little glycerin, shook it and put it in the shed full of high expectations.

Today I had a look at it and it has a sort of cotton woolish, cloudy haze floating about half way up both bottles. It actually looks like a thin cloud, but hard to describe. The rest of the brandy is perfectly clear. It has no nasty smell - I decided not to taste it - and otherwise is apparently perfectly OK. I aged it on pear wood and was fine until I bottled it.

Any ideas on what I may have done.

blanik
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Whatever it is in there will probably settle out over time.I wouldnt worry about it too much.Ive got 6 gallons of wine ready to run for brandy,but caught a cold this week,and wont be going near my fermenters and carboys till Im over it.
wineo
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Thanks wineo. I thought it may have been tails, but it can't be as it was 65abv before I diluted it before bottling.

Cumudgeon and loving it.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

This brandy hasn't lost the jelly type sediment. I tried filtering it through coffee filters but to no avail. I then siphoned it into a couple of Mason type jars and disposed of the sediment. The Brandy tastes fine, but I have no idea what the sediment is.

The only difference from previous batches was that I used Pear wood for aging and I doubt that this could be the reason. Not a problem as I have a further two gallons which I aged on french oak - old barrel staves from local wineries - and it is absolutely delightful and has a gorgeous colour.

blanik
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Did you have any foaming when you were distilling?

I had something similiar happen to some malt whisky feints a while ago. I had a bit too much heat in the boiler and it foamed up and puked on me. After a couple of weeks this strange jelly stuff appeared, I filtered it out and reused them as usual with out any problems.
My theory is that it was proteins from the foam, then again wiser heads than mine may have a better take on it.