Newbie Question

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shifty

Newbie Question

Post by Shifty »

Hi there,

I have been a beer homebrewer for some time, and just stumbled upon the information on home distilling, and found myself intrigued with the idea. I also ran across a site with instructions on constructing a simple still based on a small plastic container inside a larger container with air lock, false bottom, etc; The concept was to place an immersion heater into the fermented liquid (after corn sugar and yeast fermentation comleted) and heating the liquid to 50 C.
I know this method is probably frowned on by more experienced distillers, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried that method, and if so, what risks/obstacles are there to look out for.
Also - would the theory of throwing out the first 50 mL of distilled liquid, or would the low heating point of 50 C. prevent the appearence of Methanol?

Thanks for any replys!!!
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Like others have said many times before me to questions like yours, why don't you save yourself lots of grief by just building a simple pot still? You don't have to try to invent a better still as your first attempt. When you get REALLY REALLY good at this craft you MAY find a way to improve centuries of effort.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Sorry, Shifty, but your bugs are going to make some methanol. You just can't stop'em. Toss the first fifty, and you won't go blind!
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...