Activated carbon question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shifty

Activated carbon question

Post by Shifty »

Hi there,

Just wondering if you should filter through activated carbon when you are aiming for a whiskey or rum product, or only when you are looking to make a neutral spirit?

Thanks.
Shifty
Bum Chops
Novice

Post by Bum Chops »

i think its fine to filter whiskey and rum, well it certainly wont do it any harm and i know that evan williams and johnnie walker whiskeys are both filtered :roll:
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Jack Daniels is filtered through burnt maple wood, which is pretty darn close to activated carbon.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

You should only use activated carbon for 'neutral' spirits otherwise it will surely remove the flavour you were trying to bring through from your wash.

Sorry, Yttrium, I don't think charred wood has the same properties as activated carbon. It needs steam treatment to create the trillions of tiny passages that allows activated carbon to do its job.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

You can use carbon to "clean up" a spirit without removing all the flavor--it's just a matter of how much you use. Light rums, like Bacardi Silver, are aged in barrels for six months (by law) and then carbon-treated to remove the color, while retaining rum character.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

correct me if im wrong.

Try your product, if it tastes good to u and those that will drink it why bother to filter it.. If something tastes a little off or sharp filter it and see if it improves it by removing a little of the flavours.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Thanks for the replies! Looking forward to run!