Feed Grade Molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shifty

Feed Grade Molasses

Post by Shifty »

Hi there,

Was in a feed store a few towns away, and they are selling jugs of "Feed Grade" Molasses that contains = Molasses and Propionic Acid (preservative). It says "Not for human consumption", but is that simply because there is no FDA testing for feed grade foods? Anyone used a similar product for a rum wash?

Thanks!
Shifty
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Most unsulfured molasses will say "Not for human consumption". The sulfured molasses is treated to keep down infections in the molasses. I don't think you are going to "consume" the molasses on your breakfast biscuits are you? You're gonna put it in a mash, ferment it out and then distill it I assume. Should be fine.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Thanks Greyson!

No on the biscuts...yes on the wash!

Shifty.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

What Grayson said.

Grayson, does a preservative like Propionic Acid ever slow sugar conversion down, or is there not enough in there to have any effect?

Man, I gotta find a feed store that carries it. The 2 in town don't, so I'll have to branch out.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I can't answer that question because I don't know the amount of the acid used. I do know that I've successfully fermented many juices that had preservatives.

If you are going to make a rum from molasses, usually you will use a gallon of molasses with 10 gallons of water plus the added sugar. Tater taught me this ratio. Anything more seems to have an over powering taste. Using this ratio should further lower the concentration of the acid in the wash.

When fermenting anything that you think may have a preservative added, be sure to pitch a large starter. Thats a "REAL" starter...not just some rehydrated yeast. Make sure you get a good colony multiplied and starved for food then pitch it in the wash.

Here is a link to more info on Propionic Acid. You can see on the information on the link that the acid has a boiling point of 141 C so I wouldn't think there would be any concern of it coming across in the distilate.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I wasted a bunch of my time trying to ferment some feed grade molasses. Eventually I did a test and found that around 150 grams of that molasses into a 5 gallon wash would effectively shut down fermentation.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Good advice on the starter, Grayson.

Yittrium, what kind of molasses did you end up using, and were you able to get it in bulk/at a reasonable cost? Thanks.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I eventually went to a place called Gordon Food Service and bought a gallon of foodgrade molasses for around $10 US. The brand was "Groeb Farms"
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

i use feed grade molasses cost 10 cents a lb and a gallon weighs 12lb. i use 2 gallons molasses with 20lb sugar that was boiled in water and poured hot in the molasses . to give a total of a 13 gallon wash If ya remember gray it was 10 lb sugar to a gallon molasses.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

Post by Guest »

Yttrium wrote:I eventually went to a place called Gordon Food Service and bought a gallon of foodgrade molasses for around $10 US. The brand was "Groeb Farms"
Thats just what I use.

level Joe
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

I actually may be able to find the food grade easier than the feed grade.

Tater, do you get decent yield in your wash using feed grade? What % abv does your wash end up at? (fished any lately?)
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

the feed grade molasses i use i figure =to 5 lbs sugar per gallon with 2 gallons of it and 20 lbs sugar in a 13 gallon wash i usally get 3 gallons of 100 to 110 proof. i quit collecting at 8o proof and do a single run using distillers yeast prestarted in some of the wash i also add 1/4 cup lime juice to wash.; [grand pa allways told me that 10 lb sugar however you get it should bring a gallon of 100 proof likker]hope this helps
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

I follow you tater, that helps. Thanks.
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

The other day there was a gardening show on the radio. The host said that feed grade molasses made good lawn fertilizer. He then went on to say that it came in a powder in 50lb bags and was available at feed stores.

Ever heard of such a thing?

AkCoyote
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

There is stuff called "dry molasses" which is sold in 50 lb bags and makes good fertilizer. I've tried using it, and it is a pain to use since it contains stuff like tiwgs and bark in it.
Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

AkCoyote

Post by Rocky_Creek »

The dry molasses is full of urea. Very questionable.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.