useing wood

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

copperhead
Swill Maker

useing wood

Post by copperhead »

Has any body ever tryed ageing on walnut wood or are there toxins in it.just thought i'd ask befor i try it.had'nt seen anything about walnut on the form.seems like it mite give a good flavor.any input apreciated
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

Can tell you this much, Black Walnut wood can kill a horse and cause founder also!! Also possum shit will kill a horse, don't try to age your liquor with that either!!!
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
copperhead
Swill Maker

Post by copperhead »

lol thanks golden pound that right there is funny i dont care who you are.hadn't read anything about it that I remeber anyway.may you awt to warn possum to.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

No wonder... possums will eat some dicey food (trash).

here is the (poop) food chain acording to POSSUM

grass----cow
cow poop---pig
pig poop--chicken
chicken poop---possum
possum poop---catfish
catfish poop---oyster

I love oysters and catfish (yea, oysters are salt water, but they can eat stuff in the bay from upstream)

For amusement only, I am not a biologist. :wink:
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Interesting Possum...but inquiring minds want to know. Do you use your own poop for aging your whiskey, if so Tater is goin to put you on his list. :lol:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

LOL

No , It is poop free.

I just use apple, oak, and fruits.
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

I might ought to have known, I shouldn't have put the possum part in my post, oh well I guess a little fun don't hurt :D But really the walnut wood could be very dangerous to a human if it hurts a horse. A horse is not eating the walnut wood, but if the stall bedding has walnut saw dust or walnut shavings, I guess the horse absorbs it through it's hooves and yes it sure can kill one. A few years back here in Kentucky, a really large part of the Throughbred foal crop was lost due to cherry trees. So be careful of the wood you use to age liquor with. A interesting Kentucky fact, the largest cash agriculture product in KY is HORSES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

possum wrote:LOL
No , It is poop free.
I just use apple, oak, and fruits.
Your poop should be ok for aging as long as it doesn't have any plastic in it. :D

-J
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

That is good to know GP. Walnut must make some "good" (effective ) toxins. Ever notice that not much will grow under a walnut tree other than walnut? Both Black and English walnut seem to have this abilllity to some extent. Chemical warfare is practiced on many levels in the plant kingdom. Plant vs. Plant, Plant vs.Insect or animal, Plant vs. Fungus.
Amazing stuff. It is important to remember that all natural dosen't always mean safe...but a farmboy like you GP already knew that.
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

your right possum y don't you age in pine? cause its toxic, only 3 types o fungus grow under pines and us humans are closer to fungus than you think any drug used to kill fungus leaves us in a dam bad state, i would do some dam hardcore research on walnut before i used it.... almond for instance contain cyanide so take care
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

Absinthe, your post sort of flies in the face of conventional greek wisdom. :) Retsina is aged in pine.

Apparently it's not toxic, but it's definetly an acquired taste. :lol:

Aidas
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

Pine, that may be another to shy away from, any southern boy on here knows what fat wood or fat lighter is, contains huge amounts of tar, but thats at the very bottom of a pine tree. But then agin some parts of a tree or plant is safe and other parts are not. The cherry tree deal on the horses was from the leaves but then agin you can make a tea from wild cherry tree bark and its ok to drink. Polk, another plant, the berries and the roots are poison, but the leaves are good eating in the spring. So be safe and check the part of the tree or plant you want to age or flavor with.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

We got a lot of yellow pine around here, commonly called bull pine. Cows will eat the needles, it doesn't hurt the cow, but if she's pregnant she'll probably abort her calf. Natures birth control I guess. Many farmers will get in their pastures and cut all the lower branches off the pines.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Pokeweed...Yea the shoots are good, we parboil them, then saute them in butter or bacongrease. Only the young shoots. After it gets big, it is ( so I have heard) poisonous. Berries are bad, and stain hands.

Penyroyal ( a member of the mint family) makes good tea for headache and stomach troubble, but pregnant women shouldnt use it, it will cause missscariage.

Something to remember for those who make tonics and teas...of course pregnancy and alcohol don't mix either.
fidell
Novice

Post by fidell »

Many years ago I would experiment with differant materials to use instead of hops in beer. I heard young spruce tips worked so I made a batch of spruce beer. was excellant. devils club, which is everywhere in alaska, is excelant also. the shoots in spring neway. I even hickory smoked grain, for a nice smoked beer. Alaskan brewery makes a batch of smoked ale every year.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Boy this a an old post. R.I. P. Golden Pond....I wish you and I could of got together in real life, instead of just here.................had to get that out of the way.

Anyways I'm gonna stray from the original post a bit. Fidell you mentioned devils club shoots? They grow all over here too in the alpine/treeline country. You guys up in Alaska ever pick fiddle heads in the spring? for those who don't know what a fiddle head is, its the shoot of a wild fern that pops out of the ground shortly after the snow goes. The are super tender. My wife and I pick them and use em in salads, or else boil them for a minute and eat them as greens with a touch of butter and salt and pepper. They are a great treat every year. I don't know if they'd have a purpose in flavoring hootch??
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Fiddle heads are good, taste like asparagus I was thanking
more in the line of cat nip ---- maybe attract some " kitties" :twisted:
plonka
Novice

Re: useing wood

Post by plonka »

I don't think this belongs here but here goes. I have seen a lot of talk here about using oak but it all seems to be from old barrels and the like. I just wondered if it was possible to use virgin oak and would it have to be heart wood or could I get away with the (cheaper) outer layers.
if it is not illegal/dangerous it is not worth doing
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

I've been trying to come up with a recipe for Bombay Saphire Gin. One of the main ingredients is bitter almonds. Apparently it's a bit of a poison too. So's ethanol. So, I'm told.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Oaty wrote: Apparently it's a bit of a poison too. So's ethanol. So, I'm told.
LIES! ALL LIES!
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.