first time malt

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

first time malt

Post by sherriff Buffoerd pusser »

Got my grains today dont want to mess up if you guys could help.goin to use 10lbs crcked corn 2 lbs rye 2 lbs barley. Plans are to do as grayson said with cooler do I need to girnd rye and barley and corn? one or all? and do I need to go get some iodine?6 row barley malted is what I bought and flaked rye.
whats life without a challenge
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Your corn is already cracked. I always grind my malt in a coffee grinder. I've never used rye yet, but I would think if it's flaked it shouldn't need any more grinding. I've never done the iodine test, but it's probably not a bad idea at least for the first couple of times you do a mash. Uncle Jesse rye mash recipe shows you the method.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

been my experience that about 20% 6 row malt gets a better conversion of starch. You may need to up that quantity to get full conversion. No need to grind corn or flaked rye...(flaked rye is steamed and flaked isn't it?) The barley needs to be broken up some, not powdered...

good luck...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Over malting never hurts.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Tater, do you think 20% is overkill? I haven't been able to get good conversion using less.

I swear mashing is the trickiest part of this whole game and I wish I were better at it. Oh well, guess I need some practice... :D
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

No not at all I like to add more then most I guess what little I do grains.Last grain i did was a blended rye . Used 50 50 rye and rye malt in 1 run 50 corn 50 rye malt in another all rye malt in a 3rd and then sugared down all the grain from all the runs and and made 1 run .For me anyway when doing a malted grain run it seems to take more grain then the unmalted to get same amount of brew.
muckanic
Swill Maker

Post by muckanic »

Dunnu what Grayson said, but the corn would probably be needed to be boiled to gelatinise the starch. The flaked rye is already done.
sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

Put corn in cooler boil water pour in over corn till temp 165 then pour in malted grians and stir every 15 mins "GRAYSON STEWART"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Grind all grain if not allready done like flaked rye I like corn where each kernal is in about 8 pecies or so size malt ive rough to fairly fine ground. Put all grain but malted in cooler .Pour boiling water over grain cover and stir ever so often till temp drops to 150 then stir in malt cover and stir ever so often.Give it time to cool on its own to 80 or so degrees f. Check for conversion but if your doing a on grain fermint it will continue to convert a bit during fermition.As to amount of product when doing mashes like this i figure 1/2 weight grain will convert .If it turns out to be bit more as it usally does. Just makes me grin bigger . hope this helps
sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

Going to try this tonight If my neice is better she,s been dying to grind something. I offerd her 5 bucks to grind it but she said she thought 2cents would be better :lol: I got some iodine and all my grains think Ill do some reading today then attempt tonight.Thanks for yalls help!
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

sherriff Buffoerd pusser wrote:Going to try this tonight If my neice is better she,s been dying to grind something. I offerd her 5 bucks to grind it but she said she thought 2cents would be better :lol:
Southern rednecks never fail to make me laugh! And DAMN,shes cheap to boot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just razzin ya!

Im sure your neice is a very nice and sweet girl.
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

ran my first cooked grian wash tonight potstill.140 to 120 keep I know I left alot but been pretty sick I thought i better run it if I could. It turned out pretty smooth think this is a keeper.also put backset backin to give that a try.
sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

After adding backset and more sugur this stuff is going like crazy hope i can run next time correctly.