Beer filter

Alcoholic beverages which are not classified as spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

locky83
Novice

Beer filter

Post by locky83 »

I found this beer filter on Ebay for a good price if anyone is interested. i have one already and i reckon they are great. Sorry it's in an Aussie ebay store but with some basic ebay knowledge you could easily find one in whatever country. Hope this helps someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOME-BREW-BEER-F ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

That's got a one-micron filter... it can remove most, but not all beer-haze, and it definately will rip a crapload of yer flavor outta yer beer.

The best way to have clear homebrew beer is either patience and time, or a bit of cold storage lagerin'. Why go to the trouble to make fine homebrew and then strip it with a filter like mega-brew swill?

PS: If time and lagerin' doen't clear yer beer, ya might be usin' less modified grains... if so than a proper step-mash will do the trick. Here is a site with excellent info on mashin'/brewin' : http://www.howtobrew.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I wish ya luck.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Bugger the mash brewin, just too much trouble and expense for the amount of beer i drink. Looking forward to all grain for my distilling but i'll stick to extracts for my beer.
I would like to instal a filter into my kegging process and have seen that operator before. Just dunno if i'm better off buying the whole kit and kaboodle with snaploc fittings and all from an on-line brewshop for $125. Seems it'd work out cheaper.
Whats your view on the flavour loss Locky, seeing as you are already using one?
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

:lol: I'm with you punkin!! I'll do a grain mash a couple of times a year, for "specials", but my usual recipe is just dry extract and a fair amount of honey! Ain't got tired of it yet...
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

filters

Post by Uncle Jesse »

If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
locky83
Novice

Post by locky83 »

There ya go UJ found some more.

I just use the crap out of the can at the supermarket for my "home" home brew, as for AG, i have a micro-brewery right next door to my work, it may cost a little more but they do all the clean-up for ya! (and obviously have better filters)

As for losing flavours, and this is just me though, you can hand me a glass of a homeless persons urine and call it beer and i'll probably still enjoy it.
Maybe a slight flavour loss, but i have never run the same type of beer with and without it to compare, but you are usually too busy holding the glass in front of your eye saying "wow, look how clear it is" to notice.
It maybe even remove some of that "homebrew taste" spoken of a few posts before this one.
A hard core beer guy should give it a go and let us know!
locky83
Novice

Post by locky83 »

punkin wrote:Bugger the mash brewin, just too much trouble and expense for the amount of beer i drink. Looking forward to all grain for my distilling but i'll stick to extracts for my beer.
I would like to instal a filter into my kegging process and have seen that operator before. Just dunno if i'm better off buying the whole kit and kaboodle with snaploc fittings and all from an on-line brewshop for $125. Seems it'd work out cheaper.
Whats your view on the flavour loss Locky, seeing as you are already using one?
Also, I bought the one without the snaplock fittings and what not coz they seem to be almost half the price, and i knew i'd be able to rig something up from what i had laying around from old keg set-ups and other bits and pieces. We all probably have the fittings in our sheds somewhere if we look hard enough, take that into consideration before re-buying something you already have (Also if i didnt have it Im a CNC Machinist so i was just gonna make it)

I think i know exactly the one for $125 you are talking about too.

Is it:
http://craftbrewer.com.au/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

That's not a bad buy.

Just to elaborate on the flavour loss a bit more, i suppose i don't take beer brewing seriously enough to care too much about it. I only make it to have something to drink while im distilling, or as something cheap to give to the boys when they come over. Don't get me wrong, i love my beer, but im easy to please. So if you want to whip up a simple clean brew for those reasons, and especially if time and lazyness is an issue, you cant go wrong with a filter, it's pro's outwiegh its con's when it comes to suiting my needs, i'd rather spend my quality time on a good whisky mash or something.

Also, for those guys in Australia who live in the following areas:

Melboure
Hume
Wollongong
Adelaide
Central coast
Gold coast
Cairns
Kawana
Nerang
Tweed heads
Geelong
Canning Vale
Joondalup
Malaga
Midvale
Osbourne Park
Rockingham
Geraldton

Check out:

http://www.ubrewit.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Im gonna have a beer.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

That's the type, Locky, i saw one on the site UJ posted too, but it had a disposable, rather than a washable filter. Pity, cause the American sites are soooo much cheaper than ours.

I just brew 2 Tooheys Draught or Wheat Beer extract cans, 40 litres at a time with 2.4kg of Dextrose. Works for me, and my mates seem pretty impressed too. :roll:
locky83
Novice

Post by locky83 »

punkin wrote:That's the type, Locky, i saw one on the site UJ posted too, but it had a disposable, rather than a washable filter. Pity, cause the American sites are soooo much cheaper than ours.

I just brew 2 Tooheys Draught or Wheat Beer extract cans, 40 litres at a time with 2.4kg of Dextrose. Works for me, and my mates seem pretty impressed too. :roll:

An interesting note also for those playing at home is that Uncle Jesse's site's filters were 0.5 microns, the ebay one is 1 micron.
If you're running two ways up a one way river, how many waffles would it take to re-shingle your dog-house?
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

locky83 wrote: An interesting note also for those playing at home is that Uncle Jesse's site's filters were 0.5 microns, the ebay one is 1 micron.
These filters use (activated I guess) carbon, I dont think that's what we want
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

manu de hanoi wrote:
locky83 wrote: An interesting note also for those playing at home is that Uncle Jesse's site's filters were 0.5 microns, the ebay one is 1 micron.

Where's the carbon go, Manuel?

I thought they were just screens?

Can you use em without the carbon?
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

filters

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I'm more concerned about finding a good way to filter my spirits before bottling and sales.

I know it's cool to have a few "tiny bits of Scotland" in an old, cask-strength whisky but I need to find a way to clear my spirits of any detritus left by the cask and so on. How do I filter 60 gallons of spirits efficiently? I haven't solved this conundrum yet.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I filter my wines before bottling,and filter my oaked spirits also so they wont have any sediment in the bottles later on.I have a cheap vinamat filter that I use on the wines,but its made of plastic so I dont use it on anything strong like whiskey.It uses some prefilter pads that are finer than coffee filters,and I just put one of those in a funnel to filter my whiskeys.Im sure that theres something out there that you could filter cask strength whiskey through safely.The old timers used to use an old felt hat.
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

punkin wrote:
manu de hanoi wrote:

Where's the carbon go, Manuel?

I thought they were just screens?

Can you use em without the carbon?
i duno here the quote :
B3-1500 - Water Filter Option
1500B

A great filter at an affordable price. The water filter kit we use with the Sculptures is a standard 10" housing with a carbon block filtration system that removes chlorine, chloramines, organic flavor, and particulate matter down to .5 microns. They come with a mounting bracket and pre-drilled holes. It is your option to mount in on the stand, on a wall next to the stand, or to use it as a hand-held system. The filter does come with a 6' long line and water hook for filling any kettle on any Sculpture.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Jesse,

For the volume you are talking about doing, you will likely have to use a vessel with a suction applied. This will create a negative pressure and "pull" the liquid through a micron filter pad. Contact me and I can describe better- we used them in the labs all the time. Easy to build and would only require two containers and a small vacuum pump.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

i use filter paper for my mead.