Mini-FAQ follow ups

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

OUTSTANDING!!!
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Been working on the FAQ for a while, with some of the other long term contributors of the site. This thread will probably lock pretty soon, and I image that many of the posts will also be removed (or moved to a new thread).

However, if there are things which people see that need changed, like a question that is not answered properly, or a question that is not asked at all, or dead links or better links, then start a thread about it, and we can adjust the FAQ.

I am hoping that a FAQ in this format (with short answers, and links to more description), will help some of the newer members figure out some of the more basic issues.

H.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

see we have a new mod . welcome husker
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I think something on making the cuts on a pot still would be good. I know it's a personal preference but I think it's pretty hard when first starting out. I also appreciate it changes depending on the wash, fermenting conditions, the amount of feints thrown in etc etc. The parent site contradicts itself on several occasions. Some say everything after 75% down to 55%, others say the hearts start at about 65%. From reading peoples posts on yields, I'm way down in end product, but I seem to have a lot more heads than others.
The advise in regards to collecting in small jars and blending back is excellent and I back it 100%, but I wonder how many different flavoured UJSM's are out there.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

CoopsOz wrote:I think something on making the cuts on a pot still would be good. I know it's a personal preference but I think it's pretty hard when first starting out. I also appreciate it changes depending on the wash, fermenting conditions, the amount of feints thrown in etc etc. The parent site contradicts itself on several occasions. Some say everything after 75% down to 55%, others say the hearts start at about 65%. From reading peoples posts on yields, I'm way down in end product, but I seem to have a lot more heads than others.
The advise in regards to collecting in small jars and blending back is excellent and I back it 100%, but I wonder how many different flavoured UJSM's are out there.
I agree, and the pot still operating section was one where I kind of fell down on, and simply fell back, and added a link to Tony's site (which yes, does give lots of contracting information). It will be one of the first sections which get updated.

Similar to reflux instructions, it does depend upon your still. "Generic" instructions are pretty tough to do. A detuned bokabob works much different than a coil in a bucket, and a lebig with an upward slanting lyne arm behaves different than either. Thus, pot still instructions (to make them generic), will have to be thought out, to try to do the most good to people with questions. Some of that answer will certainly be that the pot still operator, will have to "discover" some of the characteristics of his/her own still.

H.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Well done guys, and congrats to Husker on the move to Mod. :lol:
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

This is great, Right at the top and thus should be the first place that newbies will visit.
All of the information at their fingertips.
A great intro to the hobby. Well done Husker and others in control.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Nice work Husker, I have written many tech manuals, and know how hard
it is. You make us folks of the corn proud. You have always given more help than most folks care to give.

The Bohunk (Husker wantabe)
firefly
Bootlegger

Post by firefly »

really like the mini faq......well done.....
lots of hard work in there...... :D

Found some interesting links in there that I had never seen...... :)