My first attempt. (Be brutal)

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Blais
Novice

My first attempt. (Be brutal)

Post by Blais »

Here's my first pot still construction:

8 Qt. ressure cooker form wallmart: $29.99

Copper tube and fittings: $20.00

Thermometer: $5.00

Bucket from dollar store: A predictable $1.00

It took me a few hours to figure out the best way to put it all together and I think I did ok. My outlet tube is about 3 ft long, 1/2" and the condenser coil is 10', 3/8". I intend to use it for whisky, brandy, absinthe, etc. Please let me know if I need to improve anything.
:D
Last edited by Blais on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vino Veritas
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Well done, it looks good and will work fine.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

Can't see the pics.

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

Wierd, I can't find anything wrong with code. Does this address work?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_GveyGQyfP6A/Rzo ... o%2B91.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I usually use photobucket but it hasn't been uploading for me lately.

Also, how long should I expect to wait for a litre of finshed liquor? I just counted 17 drops in a minute and there has been an occasional spurt every so often, is that about right? It's not that I'm in a hurry, I'd just like to go to bed at a reasonable hour. (This is my first batch so please excuse my ignorance. )
Vino Veritas
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I usually start my runs early on days that I have off.

~r~
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

I'm thinking that's what I should have done. It's been almost three hours and I barely have 1/3 of a litre. I just sampled a bit though, STRONG. I need to get a hydrometer but even the few drops I had made me cough. My thermometer's probe sits above the level of the wash, should I assume that the temp it reads (179o) is correct?

P.S. I don't advise using a pressure cooker unless you feel like farting around with it. The seal and lock are leaking... I should have gone with something a little simpler (and without plastic handles :?)
Vino Veritas
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

You need an alchometer to measure the alc content. A hydrometer will help in determining the specific gravity of your washes, so you can determine the alc that you produced in your wash/mash.

Your thermometer should be placed just above the outtake for the condenser.

As far as using a pressure cooker, I couldn't say, I never have. But if you look around on the boards there are a few of the other guys who've tossed it around and discussed it.

cheers
~r~
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

That photo link don't work for me.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Me either.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Just right click the icon and select view picture. It works on firefox.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

CoopsOz wrote:Just right click the icon and select view picture. It works on firefox.
Doesn't work in Safari. All I get is this:

"Your client does not have permission to get URL /s1600 from this server."
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

Ok, I think I fixed it but the quality is lower.
Vino Veritas
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Yup, can see it now.

Looks fine. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure your condensing coil is always a fairly even slope downwards so the condensate can always flow down and out. You do not want the coil to slope upwards at any point because this will trap condensate which can cause blockage.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I'm going to try and correct that today and try another run this weekend. The Absinthe came out pretty good, but a little lacking in wormwood flavor. Is it generally a bad idea to increase the heat until there is a steady flow out of the still? I'm still not sure if I trust my thermometer so I'm tempted to push it.
Vino Veritas
defcon4
Swill Maker

Post by defcon4 »

Blais wrote: P.S. I don't advise using a pressure cooker unless you feel like farting around with it. The seal and lock are leaking... I should have gone with something a little simpler (and without plastic handles :?)
I've been using the same pressure cooker boiler for about a year now. To get the lid seal to work, I take the seal out of the lid and submerse it in the wash that I just loaded into the pot. I take the dripping wet seal and re-insert it in the lid. Then I SLOWLY and carefully twist the lid shut. I have never had a single leak.

To get the little pressure lock valve to stop leaking (the one close to the handle, not the one in the center). I took the little o-ring off the bottom of it, slid it out. Then I got some stainless washers and a nut and bolt to match, I put the washers and bolt through that valve hole, tightened up, haven't had a single leak there.

To keep the rubber pressure release valve from leaking while still leaving it attached to the boiler, I put some flour dough around it before every run.
Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud
standard gloriously wave,
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining rivers,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave!
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

Nice job. The only thing I can see is that you need to get your thermometer up into the vapor line. With the thermometer in the pot the temperature seems to ramble a bit. I have a tee about a foot from the top of the pot. The temperature is a lot more stable.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

Thanks for the tips, especially on fixing the leaks. I'm going to try another run tonight and see how it goes.
Vino Veritas
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

It looks like it works. and I dont mean to go off topic, but look at your damn avatar. your a damn squid. :D

he he he Im a ex squid.

I need to stop posting tonight.

I disnt know wine was so potent. So why distill it down. :D
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

grainhopper wrote:So why distill it down. :D
As Dunder says, it's so you can fit it in your bottles.
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

LMAO

Im as drunk as I have ever been and its from wine.

I have always none that wine make me stoopid, but dammit :D
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

Oh yeah....

You might be a red neack if you drank wine from a used spaghetti jar!
Dunderhead

my first

Post by Dunderhead »

I ges I'm in trubble then
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

Hahaha!
I'll be there soon, I think. I'm sipping hard on the Absinthe I made last night. BTW the Squid is not me, it's Cthulhu (I wish I was Cthulhu).

Absinthe and Lovecraft... Just need oil lamps and piano music to complete the setting
:D
Vino Veritas
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Your'e not in trouble Dunderhead, as a matter of fact I think your quote of why you distill is one of the best I have heard.
2"x38" Bok mini and
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

My old pressure cooker is still operational after 27 years. Somewhat rough on the inside but really good condition. Mine leaked from day one around the seal. I found a rather novel way to get it to seal. Mine has pairs of handles. Two on top and two on bottom that line up when in the closed position. I use a small C clamp and clamp the handles together. I have used whatever two C clamps I could find at the time. It has worked for many years.

A short pressure history lesson. One of my first experiments after I built my 20 quart pressure cooker still was to run some cheap beer. It took forever for me to get the hoppiness out of the condenser. A very old gentleman recommended I run some sodium carbonate ( washing soda ) through it. It worked.
Hops make liquor taste like burnt rubber. You know I was blaming the gasket. Bought a silicone one and the flavor was still there. The cleaning showed me I wasted my money. I have actually distilled a lot of old beer since. During college I would dispose of all the partial kegs left over from parties, because I hated wasting beer. A lot of the best charcoal will not remove that burnt rubber flavor left from the hops. We drank it anyway because we were poor and thirsty. :D
dunderhead

my first attempt

Post by dunderhead »

Back when i stared coffee can "the ones that tok key"
a pece of copper pipe some horse fead. pretty nasty
at that time no internet just gosup
Blais
Novice

Post by Blais »

pintoshine:
I think I'll try your C-clamp method and thanks for the cleaning tip. My next project will be with beer so I'm sure the washing soda tip will come in handuy.

As for the product of my novice efferts: I feel a warmth in the general abdominal regian and a numbness/sedative effect in the headular area. I take this to mean that my absinthe is working after only 3 glases. Does anyone know offhand where to get really decent sugar cubes for absinthe? the ones I have dissolve in parts (there's a thin piece of sugar left atthe end that doens't want to dissolve). I saw some online that are shaped like suites from a card deck... link? Anyway,
SUCCESS

I'm so proud of mself :D :D
Vino Veritas
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

grainhopper wrote:Oh yeah....

You might be a red neack if you drank wine from a used spaghetti jar!
Dunno if I'm a redneck, but I drink from a used tomato paste jar.
tracker0945 wrote:Your'e not in trouble Dunderhead, as a matter of fact I think your quote of why you distill is one of the best I have heard.
I agree. And the funniest too.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
dunderhead

my first attempt

Post by dunderhead »

Thanks gies
found some place i fit in
do not hear frumly unless they whant somthing
I COM FRUM A GRATE LONG LINE OF STINKINCERS

I MEEN DRINKERS-
I was trying to figer out --if I delited to beer strinth
--------- anny budy got a cheep swiming pool????
tracker0945
Trainee

Re: my first attempt

Post by tracker0945 »

dunderhead wrote:Thanks gies
found some place i fit in
do not hear frumly unless they whant somthing
I COM FRUM A GRATE LONG LINE OF STINKINCERS

I MEEN DRINKERS-
I was trying to figer out --if I delited to beer strinth
--------- anny budy got a cheep swiming pool????
This is what I mean ------ Priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:
Part of the fun is figuring it out.
Cheers
2"x38" Bok mini and