How much do you drink?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Aaron

How much do you drink?

Post by Aaron »

Just curious :) Not an outlet to flame anyone for enjoying their hobby by any means!

If you adjusted your favorite swig down to 80% for drinking, about how much do you think you drink a day?

I'm guessing i drink about 4 or 5 shots, what about you?
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

Averaged out over a 7 day period, about 1 per day. But I skip a few days here and there too, so it is hard to say for sure.
Banjos and Whisky, Down On The River Bank
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

er...Id say that's bout right. I do drink wine most days. A few times a week I have a snort or two: a few ounces of whisk(e)y in a snifter that I sip to warm my bones. Once and a while I let 'er rip...not too often though. I have been known to share a bottle with a few friends...into the wee hours. Wife makes me sleep on the couch.

I remember, one night, I came home after an all nighter and Korean bbque. Seemed like a good idea at the time. HooowEEEE that stuff is deadly. Ain't no vampires follow you home after that. Nothing but garlic and hot pepper and meat. Anyway, I crawled in the bed with my honey, cat curled up under my leg...and I cut one. Oh Lord, I'm telling you....the cat stood up under the covers and started wheezin and gasping for air. It came wafting out the top of the covers and my wife woke right up....stood up and said..Oh Good God...go up front...go sleep on the couch. I could hear here back there spraying away with the air freshener...the cat meowing. Sheesh...you'd think a guy just killed somebody or something.
Rotgut
Bootlegger

Post by Rotgut »

i hate to say it on this forum but i have not drank since july 14.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Usge, are u my friggin long lost twin? damn, sounds way too much like my life, really. :!:

H.
Rotgut
Bootlegger

Post by Rotgut »

cant read sorry :oops:
Last edited by Rotgut on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Brother Blood :o
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

I pretty much drink wine, Im anywhere from 1/2 to 1 bottle a day. Thats 4-9 40% drinks per day. I have a glass with breakfast though so its spread pretty evenly through my 16 hours.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

20 itres home brewed beer a week. Not much spirits...some wine...
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

I just did some maths, and I consume roughly 4 ounces of alcohol per day. At 80% I'd hazard my standard would be 5-6 shots a day. Very rarely does a day go by that I don't drink.

And yetI can shtill userly hold a coherent coversattion in reel liff && onlinne :)
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Butch50 wrote:Averaged out over a 7 day period, about 1 per day. But I skip a few days here and there too, so it is hard to say for sure.
Fuck, i spill more than that :roll:
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Ahh, Usge. :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I average a couple of standard drinks a day, and very rarely have more than about four. Never been a big drinker, and there have been long periods of my life when I averaged about a dozen drinks a year.
Last edited by HookLine on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Probably about 2 litres a week of 40%, I don't make it to look at it! :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Now that I start adding it up more than I thought :shock: wine with dinner a whiskey after, an irish coffe a night cap before bed couple a beers to heat the barbie up on saturday that sets the tone for the weekend who asked this question :roll:
Such is life
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I usually drink beer. I usually have two homebrews on tap in the garage. Wine once in awhile if we pick up a bottle at the store. Since I've began this hobby I have drank a bit more spirits on the rocks with a bit of water.

But I only drink spirits a couple times a week.

In my Navy years I drank enough for 5 people, so I figure I'm giving my liver a break.

:lol:

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
Still_Crazy
Bootlegger

Post by Still_Crazy »

Not a huge drinker myself... moderation is the key so my dad used to say, about life in general. I do have a beer or two most every day after work here in the office, before going home or to the night job. There's a group of us that hang at the picnic table out back after work, it's company beer and hard to pass up. I keep a bottle of something in my office... right now it's Gin, sometimes my Oak. I usually have a shot or two of 40% or so (47% for gin...) each day.

Takes some dicipline having liquor on your desk or the shelf of your bookcase, in the office.

Truth is, I've always smoked more than I drank but I love science and this is some fun stuff. I hate hate hate going out to eat and paying $6 or $8 :shock: for a drink. I won't do it anymore and just have water with my food when dining out...
~ After all these years, a drop in time helps soothe my mind ~
Sweettuff
Novice

Post by Sweettuff »

Absolutely. Cannot stand to pay for two or three drinks what you could buy a whole bottle for. I average 3-5 shots per day of stuff mixed with Coke. That average is mostly based from one night a week we karaoke. Good or bad, that's just good entertainment. Even though the entertainment is free, the liquor makes it an expensive night. Now, we have our our machine, music, and ... hooch. Should open my own bar.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

After a 15 hour day, which is most days at work, I have about a 6 pack. Just to help me get to sleep. :mrgreen:

On my days off I may have a 12 pack and a few shots of my home brew.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

Averaged out over a 7 day period, about 1 per day. But I skip a few days here and there too, so it is hard to say for sure.

Fuck, i spill more than that

It comes and goes but I have gone months wihout so much as a beer. During the hot summer months I tend to drink more beer and less spirits - and when I drink beer I tend to drink 3 or 4 at a time. With spirits I drink them straight, sometimes on ice but usually at room temp, and generally when the weather is cold.

On reflection, what I call a drink may be two and a half shots though...
Last edited by Butch50 on Mon May 19, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob E
Novice

Post by Bob E »

I usually have at least a couple beers a day. More if there is a good game on. I'll poor a glass of whiskey or rum if it's been a rough day or if it's a good occasion, like wednesday.
If there's somebody to drink with the tally goes up pretty fast.
"Hey guys... I don't think sitting on a rooftop drinking ram's piss is the way to go."
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

About every other weekend, I'll drink a 1/3 L glass of something hard, 50% or greater. I'll do this for about three days in a row, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after 9:00 pm. On Sunday I usually just drink it on down in a single swig. Other times I'll just sit around a sip it over ice for a few hours. I'm not much for mixers at all. I prefer full flavored spirits straight from the still or cut with spring water. That is why I seldom participate in the sugar wash or flavored spirits discussions. I like my stuff all flavored from the wash itself. The extreme flavors I get is overwhelming to a lot others. It is kind of like Americans trying to drink stout after being raised on Miller Highlife. The full flavor from the wash is my art.

I never drink during the day unless I am sampling someone else's wares.
I'm glad I make a really good spirit with few side effects. No head ache, no upset stomach and no runs.

I don't but rarely drink beer. Then it has to be something full flavored. American lagers don't have any flavor(or alcohol). I have learned to drink
the Ice beers. They are a bit better for taste and alcohol content.
Occasionally I'll substitute a bottle of wine for my hard stuff.

This is the new way.

10 years ago, I would drink a 750ml to 1250ml of 50% every night. I have been known to drink as much from 9:00 pm until midnight as a normal person in two or three days. But I seldom got incapacitated. I only ever drank at home and never away from home.
I used to make a lot of sugar wash then, and learned how to do it really cheap and effective. I had too because of the cost of raw materials.
I always used the excuse of pain or sleeplessness. I was just afraid to go to sleep without drinking.
I had to get some help. I was on the wagon for about 7 years. I was dying from boredom after having been an active distiller for 20 years. I sure did get rid of some nice equipment back then.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

every now and then a sip, but I'll work on it :D
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

Generally ususally I drink Guiness when I am drinking beer - sometimes the stout but ususally the draught.

I have a brother in law that went to Germany for two weeks. When he came back I asked him how the German beer was and he said it was real strong, that he only had one bottle of this stuff called guiness and it had a little plastic doohickey in the bottle and he got drunk off it. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he had been in the center of the beer universe and drank an Irish beer.

Love that Guiness. Maybe someday I will try and make some.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

The most I'll ever do is 2-3 fingers of spirit on the rocks, about every other night.

Though, if it's a cold day, a shot in a mug of hot cocoa goes over really well.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I usually drink every day. Wine at dinner time - after all, I live in a wine producing area - and three days a week I visit my mates and we drink about half a gallon of my product in about ten days.

After reading coops' post I had best get my pecker up and drink more. We can't let Australia down now that we have a new Prime minister. :) :) :)

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Blanik, I suspect our new PM is not really a drinker, might even be a bit of a workaholic wowser.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I don't drink as much as people normally assume. I routinely go months without a single taste. When the mood hits me it's whiskey of some sort, served neat. I enjoy a sippin' whiskey, I don't like beer or wine much. When I drink it's 2-3 shots in a night, maybe 2-3 nights a week. I only drink at home and after dark. I can't remember the last time I actually got wasted drunk, but I do recall I didn't enjoy it much and wished it would end quickly.

I can put down a fair amount of sour mash if we're just sitting around drinking. Like Pintoshine said, it's a good thing there's no cheap hangovers lurking in anything I drink.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

It's really very interesting. My brother and I were knocking some back the other night, and he rolled in the next afternoon. I said, "so how was the hangover this morning?" He said, "What hangover?" I said, "Exactly."

cheers

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
dunderhead

How much

Post by dunderhead »

1/2 doz anite much more since put out to pasture
mellows me out had all demacretic propaganda,
i can take --------law is four every one that we want to
prusacute IMANLY LIKE CLEAR grain "barly' the most
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

I usually have two to four shots a day, but that's work, and spread out over 15 or 20 glasses. Otherwise, I'll have some beer at a barbeque, or when guests are over...might "tie one on" at Mardi Gras...otherwise, beer might just sit around my house for months.

'Course, when I was younger, no bottle of Wild Turkey was safe...
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...