3rd run

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

leeb72
Novice

3rd run

Post by leeb72 »

Thanks to all the experts on this site. I've just finished the 3rd run UJSM and this stuff just gets better each time. I wonder ust how good is the stuff the experts make because this run is much better than the first two. 8gal of UJSM and 4th run 5 gal tomato vodka I like the UJSM and my wife likes the vodka. When momma is happy everyone is happy! :)
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 3rd run

Post by bronzdragon »

leeb72 wrote:When momma is happy everyone is happy! :)
Ain't that the truth.

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I found that after the 3rd gen, the flavor did not change much. However, for the first 3 generations, I use 50% backset (after that, I only put 35% or so backset into the remaining mashes I do). I found that with the amount I used, that the flavor bloomed fully (as much as it will) after 3 gens.

When I used distillers yeast with AG, my 2nd run was already at full flavor. I think the AG causes a much richer sweet run and with the simple addition of the first backset, things start to come out pretty good. Even the sweet run when you use the AG is much fuller in flavor, it is just slightly different flavor. The sour mash process does certainly change the flavor (for the better).

H.

Edit: The first time I did UJSM, I used 50-60% backset, and after about 4 gens, things really started to slow down. That is why I dont use that much now. When using that much backset, after about 6 to 8 gens, things actually become hard to finish. Not sure if it is "too" acidic, or if there are simply too many additional things floating in that mash that simply overwhelms the yeast colony (was using EC1118/K1V1116 mix for that batch).
leeb72
Novice

Post by leeb72 »

Husker what is AG?
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I can't pronounce the chemical name but this is an example of whiskey yeast with AG in it...

http://www.brewhaus.com/Whisky_Yeast_wi ... 001090.htm

I've had good luck with it too.

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
mrotch
Novice

Post by mrotch »

amyloglucosidase (′am·ə·lō′glü′kō·sə′dās)

An enzyme of microbial origin that breaks glucoside bonds in starch and dextrins to form glucose; used in the manufacturing of glucose and for converting carbohydrates to fermentable sugars (as in beer-brewing). Also known as glucoamylase
showrguy
Swill Maker

Post by showrguy »

mrotch......
mike, is that you from the sunshine stste ??
mrotch
Novice

Post by mrotch »

showrguy wrote:mrotch......
mike, is that you from the sunshine stste ??
PM sent so we dont hijack this guys thread