Uncle Remus' apple/alder wood smoked barley whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Incredibly nice still! It makes mine look like a joke! I need to get a hold of some copper and make one myself. If only I had access to an old keg...
I know that this has already been said, but, it looks like I'm not the only one who needs to clean out the shop.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

I missed your still's pictures UR... But better late than never : it's a real beauty... Hope your wife isn't jealous!!!

Otherway, I also read your post about your way of life : congrats! It seems to me that you understand the roman expression "Carpe diem"!

I wish you a long and simply happy life!
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

UR, how did you solder your still's parts?

Usual brazing with SnAg solder or other process?
I talk about the 45° angle cutted tubes at tthe top of column.
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Bujapat,

Those angles are roughly 22.5° 4 angles at 22.5 = 90°. They were cut on a band saw and just butted together. I soldered them with lead free solder, just a typical solder that a plumber would use. They actually soldered very easy. The trick is to get your copper fitted nicely, clean it till its shiney and use lots of flux. Then preheat the whole joint, once hot enough to melt the solder, apply the solder quickly working your way around the joint. If the temp is right the flux will pull the solder into the joint for you.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Alchemist
Bootlegger

Post by Alchemist »

UR,

That is some beautiful work. I think I have a new standard to work towards. And the copper bowl idea rocks. Question though. How do you attach Layla to the SS keg? Or more to the point, how do you not have leaks at the juncture? I assume it is (easily) removable so you can get you wash and leaving in and out.

And it's been some time now - is there any aged smoked whiskey left? How did it come out after aging?
The whiskey makes it all so clear...
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

Remus, that is one fine work of functional metal art. It looks like it will give you many gallons of good stuff over the coming years.

cheers

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
defcon4
Swill Maker

Post by defcon4 »

Uncle Remus wrote:I thought about peat too. The only kind of peat around here is at garden supply places. It's like dirt, I don't know if it be the same as the peat the Scotts use to dry their malt.
Our peat looks like dirt but it's kind of like clay. If you dig down about 1 foot into the ground you can start cutting peat. It burns pretty easily because of all the compacted plant matter in there. I've heard that over in Ireland they used to use peat as firewood late in the winter.
Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud
standard gloriously wave,
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining rivers,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave!
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Alchemist wrote:UR,

That is some beautiful work. I think I have a new standard to work towards. And the copper bowl idea rocks. Question though. How do you attach Layla to the SS keg? Or more to the point, how do you not have leaks at the juncture? I assume it is (easily) removable so you can get you wash and leaving in and out.

And it's been some time now - is there any aged smoked whiskey left? How did it come out after aging?
It's connected by 1/4'' Nutcerts (swedge bolts is another name. I bent fender washers and use wingnuts to clamp it to the keg. For a seal all I use is simple automotive gasket paper. These are pics of my old pot still and reflux still, but they all clamp down to the keg in the same manner.

I believe I still have one bottle of the smoked whiskey stashed away. The smoke taste got real strong after it aged a while. I hope this last bottle will mellow a bit more with time. I will give it another year or so yet and then give it a try. Thanks for your compliments.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
FarmerMike
Novice

Did you leave the bark on the wood?

Post by FarmerMike »

Hi all. New to the forum here. I was just wondering, did you leave the bark on the alder? Or did you smoke it with just the wood?

Farmer Mike
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

I have no experience with UR's recipe myself, but I do burn a lot of wood, and I'd say that just use the wood itself. Bark tends to stink a bit.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
oakie
Novice

Re: Uncle Remus' apple/alder wood smoked barley whiskey

Post by oakie »

So Uncle Remus how did it finnaly turn out? Did it mellow out some more or is the smoked flavor still to over powering? Have you done anymore experimentation with the wood smoked barley?
russman
Novice

Post by russman »

I'm also curious about how it turned out Uncle... I live in Pacific Northwest and I was thinking of alder smoking grain before I saw your recipe (We Alder smoke just about everything here.... same as your neck of the woods!)
Russ
SW Washington
15G Kegger, 33" column, 15G thumper
zirtico
Novice

Post by zirtico »

UR - if you don't mind my asking, whereabout in southern BC? I'm in the same area.

Anyway, since you clearly know what you're doing, I have to ask you a couple things.

1) Noob question I know, but you mentioned that your low wines come in at around 50-55%. Would there be anything wrong with making the cuts on the first run and just aging the hearts? Or is there a tangible (tastable) benefit to double distilling? I'm sure you lose a little of the grain character on the second distillation too no?

2) I'm going to be running my first batch and was wondering approx. what volume I can expect to be the heads/hearts? I plan to taste-test but it would be helpful to have an idea first. I have 23 L of mash which is roughly 6.5% ABV.

Your wisdom is much appreciated!
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Sincerely hope running your first batch doesn't include the use of the pressure cooker.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
zirtico
Novice

Post by zirtico »

It doesn't. I'm using a SS keg pot.

But I've seen people on here using SS cookers with the rubber ring removed. Is there a problem with that?
Janitor47
Swill Maker

Post by Janitor47 »

Well done, Remus. On all counts, I might add. I will be trying my hand at smoked spirits I think.
Also South BC. Maybe we should start a gang :)
"Gonga Gonga" -GA flatpants
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!