Oats and such

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Blindman
Novice

Oats and such

Post by Blindman »

Well, the rye distressed aged in apple was a Christmas success. For my next trick I would like to try oat whisky but trying to find them is the trick. Hey Pinto, any place local to pick them up? I checked on rolled oats at the county feed store, very affordable, would they be OK to use or not? What's the term they use for the unmedicated oats that can be used? :)
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Can only repeat what i've read here, Mate. But your staem rolled oats, or crimped oats as they call em over the pond are featured in quite a few recipes here.
Go ahead and use em. I've got a 25kg bag in the shed that i must get around to playing with as soon as my new sheds finnished.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Use whole oats.They are much easier to deal with and give a better flavor.
You will have to crack them open with a grain mill like you do with barley malt.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

If you do use whole oats, be sure to get them "naked", or husked.
Oats straight out of the combine still have their husks on (and don't even think about trying to do it by hand.)
The husks are just another place for contamination, and they tend to make the whiskey taste a bit like straw.

If you plan on doing something with rolled oats, try looking up the SMOP (Seethin' Mass Of Porridge) method.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Definately the whole oats or what I found easier to crack was whole oat groats. They were on sale at a food co op and they special ordered me a bag. Super clean and easy. I did a full mash, a thin mash, and then an UJSM batches, and couldn't really tell much difference so the UJSM it is for me.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The ones I used were cleaned whole oats.Horse food.
oakie
Novice

Post by oakie »

I would avoid crimped oats if at all possible. They are basically the same thing as regular rolled oats except they were "rolled" with the husk still on them.