Bowl on top of keg boiler?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OldManP
Swill Maker

Bowl on top of keg boiler?

Post by OldManP »

Call me a noob...looked around on the forum and the parent site but can't find the simple answer

How are the bolts attached to the keg that hold on the bowl?

I understand that once a large hole is cut out of the center of the top of the keg, a bowl and be fixed to it with a bolts, washers bent to fit over lip of inverted bowl and then wing nuts to clamp the washers down...

BUT how do y'all keep the bolts from falling down into the boiler when putting the bowl on? Do y'all tac weld them in place or do y'all use a cork gasket around the hole and the friction of the gasket material on the threads of the bolts hold them in place until the wingnuts are screwed down..

i've looked at tons of photos and it just seems those bolts are sticking straight up through the top of the keg and staying there when assembling the tower onto the keg.

Sorry for the idiocy...maybe it's just late.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I don't have one like that but you could drill hole a little
small tap hole screw bolt in then spot with solder
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I found this post for ya. :D

Uncle Remus wrote:
Alchemist wrote:UR,

That is some beautiful work. I think I have a new standard to work towards. And the copper bowl idea rocks. Question though. How do you attach Layla to the SS keg? Or more to the point, how do you not have leaks at the juncture? I assume it is (easily) removable so you can get you wash and leaving in and out.

And it's been some time now - is there any aged smoked whiskey left? How did it come out after aging?
It's connected by 1/4'' Nutcerts (swedge bolts is another name. I bent fender washers and use wingnuts to clamp it to the keg. For a seal all I use is simple automotive gasket paper. These are pics of my old pot still and reflux still, but they all clamp down to the keg in the same manner.

I believe I still have one bottle of the smoked whiskey stashed away. The smoke taste got real strong after it aged a while. I hope this last bottle will mellow a bit more with time. I will give it another year or so yet and then give it a try. Thanks for your compliments.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

i actually read this post... first what are swedge bolts? looked 'em up but can't find a picture or explanation...

ok...there's a large hole in the top of the keg--there are 3 or 4 smaller holes that the bolts go through, the head of the bolts are facing down into the boiler. the threaded portion of the bolts stick up through the keg for the nuts...but what keeps them from falling back through the holes they go through if the holes are not threaded?

B/c when you put the bowl on, your arm is not down in the boiler to hold the head of the bolt up to the hole...

Are the bolts permanently fixed to the keg?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
DestructoMutt
Swill Maker

Post by DestructoMutt »

i couldn't find nutserts or swedge bolts, so i silver soldered my bolts in. don't drill the bolt holes to large, make them snug.
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

Mine are secured with a spot of SS weld. If the opening in you keg is big enough? the bolt head can be easily be spot welded to the boiler.
Image Keep on Stillin' Image
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I thank i found those bolts cauld self clinching
fairway Fasteners,inc ill usa
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

Kids have small hands, mine get to stick their hand inside the keg hole and hold a socket on the bolt while I spin the nut on. Problem solved.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

alice wrote:Kids have small hands, mine get to stick their hand inside the keg hole and hold a socket on the bolt while I spin the nut on. Problem solved.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gonna have to remember that one.

Spot the home distiller without kids.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I just have studs (bolts with the heads cut off) welded to the outside of my keg. No holes required.
The bolts aren't in line with the seal, so that system works fine.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i cut the holes in the keg,stuck the bolts through,then i put a lock nut on and sinched it tight. seems to seal for me. not rocket science but effective! :lol:
Day Late;Dollar Short
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

Post by CanadianWhiskey »

punkin wrote:I just have studs (bolts with the heads cut off) welded to the outside of my keg. No holes required.
The bolts aren't in line with the seal, so that system works fine.
iI never though of that doing that, if i had waited and saw this thread, this would have been the way to go

i uses SS 3/8's nuts coming up, using a fibrewasher then a low profile hexnut to secure the bolt in place. The bowl fits exactly inbetween the four hexnuts( carefull measurements and drilling required). using bent washeres and wing nuts to clamp it down but not super tight just snug, as for a gasket nothing works and is cleaner than 2 parts flour on part water.

by the way my bowl is a ss and was hydrulic punched from the shop and then silver soldered a copper female end. Not a bad job too!!
Less Chattin More Drinkin