My New Shed

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

punkin
Master of Distillation

My New Shed

Post by punkin »

Thought i'd share some progress piccies of the new distilling shed.

It measures 5.4m by 4m with a 2m verandah out the front.
edit. Thats 18.3 foot by 13.2 foot.

Has a man size access door with 2 windows and a 7' by 8' loading door, rolling gantry crane, drum wash bay, 500 litre rainwater tank for ferments and will be shopping for a 1000 litre rainwater tank for recycled cooling water. Mains pressure town water above the wash grate...yiddyayiddya...

This is the front, shows the two doors and the frame for my flash spy window, you can see the gantry in the middle of the loading door.

Heres a better shot of the gantry, theres also a whirlybird to go in the roof for cooling on the western side.

This is the wash bay, it's not finnished, needs sand/cement hob around it to smooth rough edges and round the toestubbing edges. Galvanised grate.

Got a few days off this week so hope to get the eastern gutter up and finnish the roof at least.

More piccies later....

TheMissusWantsTheBrewOutaTheHousePunkin
Last edited by punkin on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

:D :lol: :D

Well done mate....looking good.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Looking good. But no insulation? Or just not in yet?
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

nice

Post by Uncle Jesse »

very good work and it looks like a nice, private and safe place to distill.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

really nice.
i dream of the day id build a room for my hobby :).

tho i cant figure out(unless it would be a work shop also) why a crane for distilling?
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

Pikluk wrote:tho i cant figure out(unless it would be a work shop also) why a crane for distilling?
I can. Ever tried to lift a 100-litre fermenter up onto a table so you can pour into your still?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Thanks guys , it's taking shape.

Insulations not in the budget, i've spent a grand total of $1400 on it so far, that include3s the 5" x 3" RHS frame. It's cyclone/hurricane/conventional civilian bombproof. Scrounging has done me proud so far and i think fans will do me for the time i spend in there. I've got a big kero dome type camping heater that'll hand from the roof in the winter and hopefully run on foreshots. :wink:

Yes, the shed is large enough to house a small workshop with a workbench and welding bench, along with a cutting bench along one wall, so the gantry is envisaged as a 'just in case' so i can not only lift drums of fruit or mollasses off the back of my ute, but i can lift the engine out of it too (touch wood i never need to) :roll:

I've got some almost new carpet to go over the pavers i got for nuthin and a large rubber mat for the wet area.

SheWon'tLetMePutACotInThereThoughPunkin
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

thats nice punkin, really nice. a true craftsman....its amazing what can be had for scrounging if ya look.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

punkin wrote:I've got a big kero dome type camping heater that'll hand from the roof in the winter and hopefully run on foreshots. :wink:
Hehe, I like the way you think Punkin.
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

alice
I can. Ever tried to lift a 100-litre fermenter up onto a table so you can pour into your still?
i just thought pump would be cheaper and easier...
DestructoMutt
Swill Maker

Post by DestructoMutt »

shhh..don't say anything about a pump in front of the wife, yet...it's next, i couldn't figure out how to plausibly get the crane after the pump, so it's crane first, then pump.. :wink:
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Pikluk wrote:
alice
i just thought pump would be cheaper and easier...
Dunno bout the pump being easier or cheaper...there's certainly a pump system going in, i'm not lifting a 40-50kg boiler onto the rim all the time. But finding the right pump is the rub.
Looked at hand sullage pumps, washing machine pumps, 12 volt macerator pumps, sump pumps...none of em are quite right for our application (lumps of grain, acidic medium, gotta have dry lift, etc) and they start getting pricey too.
Still haven't settled on a system yet, but the hand bilge pump is winning so far.
Pity the washing machine ones won't lift, they'd be perfect. :roll:
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Thats cool as hell pumpkin,Wheres the barrel house?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

With that rig ya could always raise wash higher then still and siphon or drain into still . Very nice setup.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Nothing else to say.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I like the crane. That would make 600 lb barrel of HFCS easier to move.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Thanks guys, my barrels and jugs will be stored in a welded steel and mesh cage. The doors and windows are all to be held closed with bars, and the locked cage might slow anyone greedy enough to take what's not theirs a little longer.

In the end, i spose you can only make things difficult for the freeloaders in life. :roll: :twisted:
Butch50
Swill Maker

Post by Butch50 »

Punkin that is outstanding!! I could only dream of such.
Banjos and Whisky, Down On The River Bank
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

heres a cheap way to "pump" your mash in the boiler.
wont work with all type of boiler tho, if you cant remove or seal the column it wont work.

the principle is you remove the air in the boiler and it pump the mash in.
this can be done for less the 50$.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

Punkin wrote:Dunno bout the pump being easier or cheaper...there's certainly a pump system going in, i'm not lifting a 40-50kg boiler onto the rim all the time. But finding the right pump is the rub.
Looked at hand sullage pumps, washing machine pumps, 12 volt macerator pumps, sump pumps...none of em are quite right for our application (lumps of grain, acidic medium, gotta have dry lift, etc) and they start getting pricey too.
I've heard of using sewage pumps for moving stuff like that. One thing to say though: make sure it ain't used! :shock: :lol:

Otherwise, nice job! I've been thinkin' about making a setup like that in the (kinda sorta hopefully near but probably won't happen) future with one addition.
I'd want to make almost a giant version of Pint's still for stripping very large batches (since stripping runs need little heat control) and run it off of a woodstove so I can take advantage of the firewood that is readily accessible in this region. Then, I'd take the low wines from that and run 'em through a keg still on propane.

And, my barrel house would be 30 feet from surrounding buildings and have a sprinkler system installed. The crane could then be used to haul full barrels from the stillhouse to the barrelhouse, but using a dolly would be just fine.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

Taco Pumps work well for heavy loads too.
Are you on Sat Internet Punkin? Not to change the subject, but whats your experience with this? How's the speed and are you affected by the weather?
BTW, nice bit of construction there. I'm sure it will do you proud!
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

you can get barel arms for block an takle for round 100. they can tip to

goin this path aint no time to be getin proud with pictures but good job

so im tole
Last edited by goose eye on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Punkin, check out the pumps that some hombrewers use... they are food-grade, can handle VERY high temps, and are affordable.

Somethin' like this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17311/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I wish ya luck, and like the new room yer buildin'.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Already got a 2 1/2 tonne winch for it goose. You got me round the wrong way too. Never sold a bottle yet and don't intend to start. I have a mate who brews turbos, flavours em and sells em and there's another guy at work who flogs the same stuff for ten bucks a bottle. Couldn't compete with that cheap cordial even if i wanted to (which i don't :lol: ).

Just have a fascination with getting it right atm and don't have room to do it in the house or the shed. I always meant to build a workshop there, but the plans got moved forward by the missus when she started tripping over fermenters in the laundry.

Those pumps aren't selfpriming HM.

Cable Broadband only Bushido, i'm on a houseblock in a large town.

Marine sewage pump is high on the winner list BW, can't do the very large batches either as i'd run out of storage room and have to stop brewing...just haven't got that many mates :D

We've got tight water restrictions here Pikluk, the pump i was most interested in was one that i read about in a thread on here i think. Can't remember where it was or who posted it (mighta been Harry), but it just squeezed the tube to pump, and the pump itself never touched the product. Peristaltic it was called.
Just couldn't find a cheap, reasonable capacity one in Aus or anywhere else.

Made some good progress yesterday, all the welding is done on the shed now, gotta build some benches today, must put a shirt on though. The welders got me sunburnt.

MyArmpitsAreKillingMePunkin
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

the opposite can be done too, push air in the fermenter even a aquarium air pump would work (a bit slow maybe).
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Peristaltic pumps are low flow rate, low volume pumps. Their big advantage is accuracy. Find them in a lot of medical and lab applications.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

great building punkin, really inspiring!
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

bushido wrote:Are you on Sat Internet Punkin? Not to change the subject, but whats your experience with this? How's the speed and are you affected by the weather?
You can PM me if you have any questons about sat internet, bushido. I'm (ahem) a bit of an expert on the subject :)
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Gotta fair bit more done over the last week. All the guttering and roof is on, and it's fairly well weatherproof. Built myself an 8' by 3' steel workbench with a 2" timber top. Cleaned out all the crap laying in the shed and rolled out the carpet, cut the rubber mat for the wet area, and started moving in and fitting out.
Used the gantry for the first time to get my workbench in. Probably weighs 150 kilos, but i swung her in, swivelled it round, and lowered it down where it goes all with one hand :lol: :lol:
Got my drums and bins full of grains and mollasses stored under there, i'll have to take a piccie, just didn't realise i had so much fermentables piled up waiting for the space to play with em :oops: :oops:

Installed my spy window too. It's a flash bit of gear, i bought it brand new from a second hand dealer for not much years ago to go in a camping canopy i was building for my ute and never used it. Dunno if it's out of a caravan or an armoured car, but it's smoked one way glass on the outside and lexan on the inside. There's a sett of slimline venetians inside with a little knob in the shed to operate em. looks great.

I've also been thinking about cooling water. i have a 500 litre tank of rain water just outside the door that i plan to pipe in, and use my existing wheelie bin inside as a float tank holding an extra 100-200 litres, but i'm a little worried about going from my coil in a bucket with static water to relying on a pump to keep going.
Atm i can go into the house for 20 mins on a strip run and do other things in the yard ect, while periodiclly checking on things, swapping bottles ect without worrying about leaks or pumps blocking/stopping ect ect.

I was thinking if i set a 60-90 litre drum up on a shelf near the roof, pumped up to it and gravity fed through the condensor, at least it'd give me some time to notice a problem and the water level in the top drum dropping.
This is gunna complicate the plumbing though and make it more difficult to get the water back into my tank outside. Don't really know which way to go at this stage.
Maybe i could just use an electronic thermometer and hook a loud alarm to it?

Could do with some suggestions.

The shed should be operational in a few weeks.
Blind Eye
Novice

Post by Blind Eye »

Really nice setup,man I could pour you a 4" reinforced slab with a stamped logo right in the center, you would flip your wig!!