moonshine?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hounded66
Novice

moonshine?

Post by hounded66 »

I am new to distilling. I have home brewed wine and beer though with good results. The question I pose is moonshine runs 100-200 proof. How can I keep what comes out of my still from reaching that high of a proof. Also I was wondering (because I like to know how things work) How do they get moonshine to run over 100 or even 150 proof? Thanks for any help.
Froggy
Swill Maker

Post by Froggy »

I'd start reading the following link before you get flamed too much.

http://homedistiller.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here froggy froggy..
Shane

Our reading material:
The Compleat Distiller
Making Pure Corn Whiskey
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

moonshine thats a wide open field ..moonshine could be thought of as ANY illegal spirits ..and I dont think you will have to worry too much about hitting 200 proof either ... try reading some here http://homedistiller.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow everything you just ask can be found right there ... Oh yeah welcome to the forum.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

first "moonshine" is corn whisky run threw pot still 1 time mite be30-40%
2 times mite be 60-70% 3times 80-90% it depends on wash and
how you run still most reflex stills run 80-90% one run but you loose
taste if you make beer that is the "wash" with out hops ,wine distilled
is brandy
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

Welcome aboard.

Do yourself a big favor and read before asking. IT is real easy to see you haven't put the time in to read the parent site. Elementary questions will get you a good tongue lashing.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

so Dnderhead in order for any brew to be classed as moonshine it must have corn ??? if thats the case theres alot of old dumbass hillybillies roaming these hills old shiners included ... I was always told and believed that any spirits (likker) that was made Illegally was considered shine grant you that most used corn in the day but not all .. and the term was given to the process because it was made at night to keep from being caught ..so what is corn lliker ? another word for shine ?
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

have a look see i dont see where corn is a requirement .its states a sugar source which corn does have .. but its not the only thing . think it calls ya brandy a moonshine there too .. :D
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

moon shine Could be made from anything but most was made
from corn it was easy-or to ship a feu gallons of shin than a wagon lode of
corn
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I agree dnderhead .. im not that old for those days ..but have been told that by more than a few that were around in some of that time ..
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I'm not saying too much but i will say i have Ben around Sean my
share hear lerning "new way"
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I dont doubt ya there dnderhead . .. Its easier when ya there for sure .. not alot of ole timers left from that era I wouldnt think .. kinda rare here anyways 70-90 plus years .. i tend to really listen to to those guys .. i try myself to learn from everyone i can .. no one knows it all .. there are just to many ways of doing things and ending up the same end result..doesnt make either right or wrong just different .. :D

Not to hijack this thread ,I could have answered hounded66 and told him exactly what he was asking but I choose not instead i gave him a place to find his answers and a hint for him to actually know what he was asking and trying to do it in a nice way .I could have told him sure the round peg goes in the round hole and the square one does the same .. but what would he have learned .. I know myself when I started here I ask some stupid questions im sure and Not that youre question is stupid hounded66 but its shows you have not done much reading to help youre self on the question at hand.

I know if I had been told round peg goes there and ect.. and never took the time to read and understand why it went there then i didnt learn much I only knew what i was told.. I was also well aware of the rath of taters read read theory .. which I do agree has to be the best policy around. the best questions are also asked with a why not can I or will this , or does it .
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

first if you want to know what i look like do google popcorn . only
thing he is famous "Ben cot" i haven't flowol instincts if something tels you no
then do not do it just Waite there will be another day i gis you figured out
I'm not good on light box :roll:
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

hehehe i hear ya dnderhead im sure theres alot you can teach us all though ...not lightbox related .. :)
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

ehehe i hear ya dnderhead im sure theres alot you can teach us all though ...not lightbox related ..
i decode each of is message with interest, theres almost always a good tip hidden in there :).
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Don't know what i can tech Anny Buddy most know what i do then some
I'm still learning after 60year of smoking i learned i could quit. what a
bunch of money down the drain. just keep your yeast happy and
ladies a smiling
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

hey Dnderhead, I get 80% abv out of my pot still first run! Of course I use a thumper too. :)
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

that good Enif four most stuff, some like to make high prof and cut back
i like to make what i wont it at . especially if you get in flavored drinks