still .... and steel?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hounded66
Novice

still .... and steel?

Post by hounded66 »

I know someone who is starting to make a still out of a 55 gallon steel barrel. He plans on making a pot still out of it with a copper reflux. How will the barrel not be being made out of copper or stainless steel effect the alcohol that comes out. Will it be safe to drink?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if it is clean" no oil etc" it will be alright but will not last very long
almost not worth making)
hounded66
Novice

Post by hounded66 »

the barrels come from a food proccessing plant. All were used to hold molasses and the only thing that is wrong is that there is a little bit of molasses on the bottom. He can get the barrels for free whenever he needs them. He plans on making the reflux screw on so he can take it off and put it on a new barrel every time.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

do a search for "palm wine gin" on google this is a common setup in the third world, and they are able to produce some pretty good product with a very rudimentary setup.

myself, I wouldn't recommend too many runs on it though,
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

I expect that you'll only get a few runs out of a boiler made from mild steel. Boiling hot liquid at a pH of 4-5 tends to eat through a lot of stuff.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg