Cracked Corn with Soybean oil ???

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

magikk
Novice

Cracked Corn with Soybean oil ???

Post by magikk »

Hi there,I have a question maybe someone here can halp me with.At the local Farm supply store (tractor supply) I can get Cracked corn chicken feed.The ingredients are corn & soybean oil.Can I use this corn for mashing or will the soybean oil cause problems.The whole corn they have is the same.Thanks Mike
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

They (Farm Supply/Central Tractor/Tractor Supply/Farm and Family), all the same parent corporation, should also carry plain cracked corn... I was just there today and a salesperson was showing cracked corn and whole corn to a customer for use as horse feed... Depending on the store, it could be available in bags, in bulk, or both...
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

They tell me they spray it with the oil to keep the dust down in the mill.
My cracked corn said it had oil in it,but never caused me any problems.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

What little oil they may spray on the corn to keep dust down is probably less than the actual corn oil in the corn itself so unless the bag is dripping oil don't even worry about it...
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Help keep it from foaming :D
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

When using cracked corn, I rinse it until the water runs clear. During this process husk and other material will float to the top. I strain this off. What I end up with is some nice clean cracked corn, with very few visable impurities. Maybe I am just paranoid, but think this also washes away any chemicals that may be in it. It has been working fine for me.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Have fun, get high, just don't Drink and Drive.
Moonshine is the next best thing to sex, and at my age, let the moon shine on!
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

wineo wrote:They tell me they spray it with the oil to keep the dust down in the mill.
My cracked corn said it had oil in it,but never caused me any problems.

Not entirely meaning to be off-topic, but the soybean oil fulfills another purpose if it will be used in a prepared feed mixture: it adds fat and calories to the feed that it will be used in. Anything to make the animal gain weight faster. Bit it really only makes a difference if the stuff is soaking in it.

I would go ahead and use it, and if it does something undesirable in the finshed product, find something else. Seems like common sense.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg