turbo yeast question.

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jetzon
Swill Maker

turbo yeast question.

Post by Jetzon »

Before I ask this question please know that my computer is down and I'm using my blackberry phone to log on. I would have Read this I'm sure but this will take 4ever on my phone an cost a ton to!
I have two packs of 24 hour turbo yeast. I know it can have off taste and al that. I have a friend coming up this weekend dieing to help me run this still. He's been making beer for years and always wanted to try this.
Prestige turbo pure 24 hour yeast from what little I've read about it, you use this pretty much just for making vodka/grain alcohol right? I'm not much into neutral spirits like that. Any suggestions what I could make with it? Flavored vodka maybe? Suggestions would most be apreated! I'm making this up tonight and plan on running saturday-sunday ready or not.
Again I would have read,looked up myself if computer wasn't down.
Thanks!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

That yeast will take longer than 24hr better weak, yes it is four "vodka"
after you you've got vodka you can flavor with what you like fruit, spices
herbs google liqueur flavoring
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Thanks Dnder
I thought it was pretty used for Vodka, thanks for clearing that up for me. Do you think it could be ready by Sunday? I've never read much about cause all the bad things I hear. I know it says 24hr and read some where here that's not true at all, sales pitch lol.
I was hoping to have something here to run. This is an old friend of mine who's married with kids, works every day and had the weekend off. I'm just trying to get Something here for us to run.
Thanks Dnder, I'm still gonna make it and hope for the best!
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

If you use the lower amount of sugar, should be listed on the package, it can ferment in about 48 hours if keep at the right temp. Won't get as much product, but will have something to run by this weekend.
The day you quit learning something new is the day you die. And, if you don't die, then you might as well.
GingerBreadMan
Swill Maker

Post by GingerBreadMan »

I never used a Turbo 24 before, I think I used a Turbo 48 once and it took a good week to 10 days to ferment all the way through. Warmer ferment temperatures work faster (but not too warm you'll kill the yeast). Read the package it will give you a temperature range that the turbo will work.

A back up plan might be to get some cheap wine. Don't water it down, keep it at 12%. Use red wine for effect so your buddy can see the distillate comes out clear.

If you have more then one fermenter, read the UJSM and DWWG recipes in the tried and true recipes forum. Maybe try one of those as a backup plan with a second fermenter.

I've never tried either, but some folks there have had success with quick ferments.
Last edited by GingerBreadMan on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

It mite if you use 1/2 sugar they call four maybe 8-LBS four5gal
and keep at75-80f but most times slow is better
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Thanks all
I do what I can. dont wanna rush it to much and get crap. I have two buckets of UJSM second gen bubbling, maybe that will be ready. I got my computer up and running now. Thank god! what a pain in the ass it is using a blackberry phone to do this lol
Again many thanks!