Good brown sugar recipes

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

saltwatersniping
Novice

Good brown sugar recipes

Post by saltwatersniping »

Does anyone have any tried and true brown sugar recipes?
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

Check out some of the rum threads, I think there are some good ones in there.
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
GingerBreadMan
Swill Maker

Post by GingerBreadMan »

I've been running a half brown sugar - half fancy molasses recipe while I'm learning to make the cuts. For yeast, I've tried turbo yeasts - had some packs I needed to use up, and I've also used baker's yeast/EC-1118 yeast combo. I think rum is a simple recipe (at least that's my novice opinion) and formulating the right cuts and either backsetting or running feints with the new wash really brings out the character.

I've stopped making rum for the moment to allow some stuff to age so I can compare and taste test differences.

The next rum recipe I am going to try is Pintoshine's recipe in the tried and true forum. The next step in my learning is to formulate a good wash with the proper nutrients and learning more about them to get a good clean fast ferment that I like. And then I want to learn more about molasses, because I think there is quite the difference in different regions - my molasses just might not be the same as yours - which almost seems to be an issue here at the boards with making rum and flavor.
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

GingerBreadMan wrote:I've been running a half brown sugar - half fancy molasses recipe while I'm learning to make the cuts. For yeast, I've tried turbo yeasts - had some packs I needed to use up, and I've also used baker's yeast/EC-1118 yeast combo. I think rum
You shouldn't mist different strains of yeast. They don't get along. They fight each other to the death, till the stronger one triumphs.:shock: That's the theory anyway :lol:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
GingerBreadMan
Swill Maker

Post by GingerBreadMan »

I was going by the theory that the baker's yeast would die off first, but ferment first - as I would just pitch it without rehydration. After it's been in the wash for a couple of hours I would rehyrdate the EC-1118 properly and pitch that. After the baker's yeast is dead - the EC-1118 uses it as nutrients. Well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it :lol: :lol:

My next batches, I'll be smarter. I'm thinking of using a bit of wheat germ for nutrients and two packs of EC-1118. I started a DWWG that I'm going to distill Friday night. I'll get a sense of taste and imagineer how much wheat germ would provide nutrients and flavor to the molasses wash. :D
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.