good fermentation vessels?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

eternalfrost
Trainee

good fermentation vessels?

Post by eternalfrost »

what would be something good to ferment around 4-5 gallons in? dont really have the cast to drop on those nice glass carboys.

foodgrade plastic is ok to ferment in right?

where do people get those big buckets like in pinto's vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwKtFTM7WXM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

was at homedepot the other day and those big orange 'homer' buckets used for paint storage etc. cought my eye, are these ok?

what are the requirements for 'food safe'?

or any other cheap ideas welcome :) my copper should be arriving next week
Flash Clampet
Novice

Post by Flash Clampet »

i have a couple of 30L home brewing (beer) fermenters for mine, yes they are food grade plastic

i think a lot of the other aussie guys do the same

they are pretty good because they have the tap with sediment traps and an airlock on the lid of course. they are alot cheaper than glass carboys/demijons. and they are more durable than glass when it comes to handling quick temperature changes when doing your washes.
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

You can't beat the 30 liter fermenters that are available at every place that sells home brewing supplies. They come with measurements on the side and a lid with a hole for an airlock. It's a good size for the 5 gallon mashes and if you need more capacity, just set up more of them.

In cold weather, the standard heating belts fit them perfectly and they are easy to insulate with foil/bubble type insulation.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart all carry 5 gallon buckets that are great for a 4 gallon wash. Look in the paint department. They only cost about $6. Any bucket that is made from HDPE will work for fermenters. I keep several going at a time.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

fermentation

Post by Uncle Jesse »

If you have a bit more to spend or need a larger container, here is where I have gotten a few:

http://www.pbmsprayers.com/ag/pdf/tank_book.pdf

The 15 gallon conical is what I used when I was learning.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

Any bucket that is made from HDPE will work for fermenters.
just what i needed thanks! yea i was eyeing those big buckets at the Depot
Digger
Novice

Post by Digger »

heres another good place to check.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=2800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

digger
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Personally, I'd stick with the white buckets that have had food in them, as they are at least considered (by someone, at some point) to be "food Grade".

I don't know if the same can be said of the orange Home Depot ones...
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

True enough Zymos...

Rubbermaid trash cans are used by lots of winemakers because they are big and cheap. Certain colors are food grade while others aren't. I'd at least check for something labeled food grade.

I'm not a big fan of plastic anywhere in the process. I do like to use old kegs to make fermenters. Not too much money, and easy enough to cut out the top. And its AAA sanitary stainless. hard to go wrong with that.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

so i just had one of those 'DUH why didnt i think of that before' moments.

wouldnt those 5 gallon office water cooler jugs work perfectly for this?

they are like the same price as the 'fermentation buckets' at the brewshop plus you get free spring water and they look nicer. im sure you could find old used ones pretty easy too

zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

I don't even like drinking water from those things!

Here's some info to start out-obviously a controversial subject, but more and more non-plastics industry scientists are coming around.

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewScien ... enebpa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Sorry-my links either seem to make my whole post not show up at all, when I use the tags (sometimes), or get split up like this one does.
Or just google polycarbonate

This link may start off referring to Nalgene, but applies to plycarbonate in general...
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

(I fixed yer link Zymos.)
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

(thanks. I think there might be a glitch with the "tags", since just pasting in an address seems to work correctly)
gs_moonshine
Bootlegger

Post by gs_moonshine »

A friend of mine ferments his wine in those water jugs. I don't see why you couldn't use one especially if you already have one. All you would need then is a bung and a air lock or blow off tube.
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Zymos, while you bring up a valid point concerning bpa, many, if not most, of those water jugs are made out of a different plastic, and thus don't face those threats. In the beer and wine community, this has been discussed very regularly (about once a week) and the consensus is that if the plastic is marked "1" in the recycle triangle (AKA it is PET) then it is as safe as a glass fermenter, and is for all intends and purposes the same as a Better Bottle. If marked a "2", then it is made of HDPE, or the very same material as a fermenting bucket. Here is a visual:

As a general rule, #1 and #2 are OK, but avoid anything else.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Before anyone gets any ideas we're talkin' about fermentation vessels here.

Plastic never belongs anywhere in a still or touching distillate.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

right

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I'd never put anything but beer or wine into a plastic fermenter. Many wineries I know of use them as well.

You guys know my stance on the subject because I yell about it early and often, I'd never let any distillate or high proof alcohol come into contact with plastic.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Hell, I'm talking about plain old water, not even alcohol in ANY percentage.

And maybe those "Better Bottles" sold as fermenters are safer, at least they claim to be 'BPA-free, DEHP-free, plasticizer-free" , but there is plenty of suspicion that carcinogens can leach out of regular PET bottles.

Personally I try to avoid anything but good old fashioned HDPE, whether it's for alcoholic beverages in any form , or simply water...
lovebeer
Novice

Post by lovebeer »

i really like this one: http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
scroll down to the Bottling Kit 6.5 gal with Bucket, lid, airlock, and spigot. that one has everything you need and for a mere $17.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

well i did the rounds today through all the stores. only found like one place that had those water cooler bottles. it was lowes and it was that like buy-the-water/return-the-bottle type deal. they were plastic #7 "other" haha so i passed and will prolly just get the standard beer kit style.

im not sure if 'real' cooler bottles would be higher quality, like from poland springs or something.
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Well, there's always glass- I have an assortment of carboys from 3 to 6.5 gallons, and they get plenty of use!
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

zymos wrote:Well, there's always glass- I have an assortment of carboys from 3 to 6.5 gallons, and they get plenty of use!
ye i pln i getting some eventually, but this project is already gettin over budget and they are in the range of 30 bucks a pop.

im only going to be doing sugar washes going for 95% reflux for mixing to start with anyways. will break into the glass when i start playing with pot stills and things with more flavor
copster
Novice

Post by copster »

Just picked up one of these on Ebay for $17...plus s/h....seller said he had 40 of them on hand...Image

Made of #2 plastic with lid and O-ring...

15 Gallons
A person got to believe in something.....I believe, I'll have another drink....!
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Most restaurants will have empty five gallon food grade HDPE buckets that they will give you for free just to get rid of them.
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Care to share the seller, copster?
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

yea id be interested in the seller too thanks
Ftero
Bootlegger

Post by Ftero »

For those who might be interested, here is the seller who has these barrels;

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLASTIC-DRUM-15-GAL ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Not to be paranoid, but I've seen those blue plastic barrels, at least the 50 gallon ones, used (in their original use) for everything from industrial chemicals to cow antibiotics. Not sure what kind of residues may remain.

Looks these ebay ones are clean, but beware...
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Heh, man that barrel is really temping...it would match well with my new keg boiler, and free up some of my other fermenters for other things :p.
rumbaba
Swill Maker

Re: good fermentation vessels?

Post by rumbaba »

eternalfrost wrote:what would be something good to ferment around 4-5 gallons in? dont really have the cast to drop on those nice glass carboys.

foodgrade plastic is ok to ferment in right?

where do people get those big buckets like in pinto's vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwKtFTM7WXM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

was at homedepot the other day and those big orange 'homer' buckets used for paint storage etc. cought my eye, are these ok?

what are the requirements for 'food safe'?
or any other cheap ideas welcome :) my copper should be arriving next week
The cheapest of ideas is to go to any resaurant/food outlet and ask them for some of their empty 20kg mayo buckets(with lids). We go through 2-3 a week. They are food grade safe. I used these when I began, best because they are free. When you have 15 of them on the go at the same time then you will think of upgrading to a 60 litre vessel. But they are great to get a start with.