First time poster, long time reader... lol

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DocJohn
Novice

First time poster, long time reader... lol

Post by DocJohn »

Hey Fellers,

I am new to posting here but have been reading for a few weeks now. MAN is there alot of stuff to know... kinda makes you wonder how the old timers did it... but its actually starting to come into focus now and I think I am ready to jump in.

I will probably purchase a still rather than build as I am not that handy.. anyone had experience with bluegrassmoonshinestills.com? I emailed a feller there and he seemed nice enough...

Secondly, do I need the goose neck style column.. seems most you fellers are runnin straight. I am looking to do old timey sour mashes mostly, not necessiarily blow yer face off proofs.... just good sippin whiskey. Good thing to have and just run it open? or waste of money?

Lastly, what size? most fellers seems like are using beer keg stills. I was looking at a 5 gallon model thinking I would get quite a bit out of a run but now I dont think so. For all the time involved, I would like to get at least a couple gallons of hearts..... unrealistic?

Any comments and advice apprecited before I make the plunge?

My Best,

DOC
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Welcome!You could build a short column to use for a potstill,and mount it on a keg with triclamp fitting cheaper than you could buy one.If your wanting that kind of volume,you should use a 1/2 barrel keg.{15.5 gallons}You will get about 2 gallons of boose off a 12-13gallon run,but it wont all be hearts.Look around at some of the setups people are running for potstillin to get some ideas.
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Hey Jon welcome aboard..
if you can solder some you can make your own. Its not hard at all. Sure wish I did :roll:
Listen to wineo he's giving you good advice. Take some time and read. You'll find the rig thats suits you best.

I use a 15.5 Keg for a boiler. Takes a while to do a run.

I started yesterday at 3pm and finished at 2-3am :shock:
My first full keg run. Think I'll start early in the morning next run :lol:
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

welcome and hello....don't know how much you looking to spend,because some are a bit pricy ,but basic stills are easy to build with basic skills. if i ever actualy bought a still i would want one like the kind pintoshine has the plans for ,but i could never build one like that so i would have to buy it. the net is full of ripoffs so just be careful and make sure that someone has one exactly like your planing to get. the "still drinking" thread is proof enough to be very cautios. :wink:
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

Ive worked with sheet metal for a while. Never touched copper sheets before. I see a Pinto pot still in the makings.. Cant be that hard?
Copper a lot easier to work then galvanized sheets I would think :?
Sure would be nice to have a smaller one that I could pull out for little runs rather then filling up a 15gal keg'r. Bout broke me back lugging that boiler outside to empty. A dolly just moved to the top of my list of Must Have :lol:
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

exactly :wink: plus don't ya think such a purdy shiny toy would make tastyer stuff....call me ol fashond
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
DocJohn
Novice

Post by DocJohn »

Thanks for the info fellers... Perhaps I will do a bit more considerin... I like the idea of a beer keg still, I got a plumber buddy that would help I am sure... Maybe I will wait. The package deals just seem easy to start with.. but if I am gonna do it, I would hate regretting spendin money on something and then wanting to go bigger. its a tough call.

Plus I dont want to screw up 15 gallons of wash becasue I dont know what the hell I am doin... I would be less sad about assin up five gallons... lol.

Kepp the ideas coming boys, I appreciate it,

Doc J
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

You can run 5gal in a keg
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I certainly agree with DH. In a 15.5 gallon keg, you can not run 15 gallon batches. At max, you can run 12 to "possibly" 14 gallons depending upon how foamy the wash is.

A 5 gallon run in a 15 gallon keg works just fine (well, some internal heating element driven kegs, that might be pushing it, due to possibly running the element dry). However, if you are using propane, then 5 gallons works fine, and you NEVER have to worry about it boiling over and puking into your output.

H.
DocJohn
Novice

Post by DocJohn »

Now See..

THAT is why I am here..... that is great info and I am leaning more and more toward a pot still keg dsign... I can get the keg(s) but the design I am still unsure of..somebody on the board used "Bill Lemans:? sp design any better plan source???

Thanks again...

Doc J
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

DocJohn wrote:Now See..

THAT is why I am here..... that is great info and I am leaning more and more toward a pot still keg dsign... I can get the keg(s) but the design I am still unsure of..somebody on the board used "Bill Lemans:? sp design any better plan source???

Thanks again...

Doc J
Few forums under this is one called 'Pot Distillation', there's three pages of threads in there, a stack of em have pics of pot still designs. As far as design goes, there's very few rules, so have a read and make something up.

Probably the best pot still there is under a heading, something about Gonzo? :wink: 8)
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

punkin wrote:Probably the best pot still there is under a heading, something about Gonzo? :wink: 8)
He he. :roll:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
DocJohn
Novice

Post by DocJohn »

Thanks for the help and encouragement.. I will keep diggin....

Doc J