Types of Rye

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ol' rummie
Novice

Types of Rye

Post by ol' rummie »

I want to make a rye whiskey, I've read threads of people using rolled, flaked, and corn Rye, but all I can get around here is annual, perrenial, or fall rye at the feed store, will any of these do the job in an uncooked recipe simular to UJSM (annual?)? Or should I make the long trip to the city and go to the Brew Shop?
BW Redneck
Trainee

Re: Types of Rye

Post by BW Redneck »

Due to obscure origins, we have two types of "rye" in this language: rye grass, and rye grain. Rye grass is perennial, and is often used to seed lawns and pastures. Rye grain is an annual, and its fruits look similar to barley, and rye flour, flaked rye, etc. is made from it. You would grow this type for whiskey.
You described "fall rye" in your post. I'm assuming that it is an annual, and it's planted in the fall, goes dormant, and grows in the spring and summer like winter wheat. I have no experience with rye at all, as it's not grown often in Ohio since our climate is better suited to more profitable crops. Rye has a short growing season, so it's better suited to colder climates.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

annual rye Ive used with good results.Same as with winter rye But have wondered why other then maybe starch contents rye grass couldn't be used. Its a seed same as others.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

perennial is grass seed very small an not much starch (looks like grass seed)
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Maybe look at a healthfood store that sells whole grains? They should have rye grain.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
ol' rummie
Novice

Post by ol' rummie »

tater wrote:annual rye Ive used with good results.Same as with winter rye But have wondered why other then maybe starch contents rye grass couldn't be used. Its a seed same as others.
I picked up some annual rye, and will give it a try. If I don't like it I'll just clean it up in the reflux and drink it with pop, or run it in the lawnmower.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

I've read threads of people using rolled, flaked, and corn Rye,
Rolled and flaked are processed and can only be found in a brew shop or online. I've never seen it in a feed store. If it was oats treated the same way it would be oat meal (ie., quaker oats) like you get in the grocery store. Some health food or hippie stores might have the rye type. I don't know, never been in either one.

Corn rye is annual rye. Corn is old English for "grain" or small grain like substances. Corned beef is beef cured with salt (corn) granules.

Hope this helps.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

dont mater what you getin aint none of my business but always read sack makein sure it aint been coated with chemicals

so im tole
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

In Canada, Maritimes anyway, we have a store called "The Bulk Barn" which has flaked rye.
There is also a million other grains there too. I have some idea's for once I get going.

-Organic Spelt flakes; "easier to digest than most grains, higher balance of amino acid's"
-3 Grain cereal; "ingredients: Cracked wheat,cracked rye, flax seed"

There are many others available, as time goes on I'll see what "8 grain rye" tastes like!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Not so sure about Flax, anyone ever use it?
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I questioned it in another post and never got a response.
Flax would be oily I guess, other than that who knows??
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
KidGib
Novice

Post by KidGib »

I picked up some rolled rye in the bulk food section at WINCO for 51 cents per pound. They also have rye flour at about the same price. Just wondering if anyone has tried using the flour.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Just wondering if anyone has tried using the flour
Haven't tried it myself but the posts I've read mostly say it's not worth the mess.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

I've used flour. No problems -- settled out just fine.

Aidas
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

So I just went to the local hippie store and picked up some rye seeds (which apparently you boil with 4 part water 1 part rye seed for a rice like meal) and I have them in a little jar to see if they will eventually sprout. It has been one day and they are starting to send out little shoots (picture came out too small to see).

My question is this. I have never made beer or any thing using grains, this is malting right? If so then now I need to dry it in the oven and then I can boil it up for some delicious whiskey mash right? The stuff costs only $.79/lb so I could totally get a 5 gal wash going for a decent price. I have had trouble finding feed stores around, so this is the cheepest I have found it so far.
water + sugar + yeast = wine

water + flour + yeast = bread

wine + bread = two things I can make at home
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

MG,
You got the right idea, that is rye malt. A tip for you, don’t dry it in the oven, temps over about 150f will kill the enzymes. Just let it sit out in the sun, I put mine on a screen so it can get air over and around it, the sun will kill the sprout and dry the rye at the same time.

The Bohunk
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

Sounds good, though right now is raining. When the sun comes out though, how long do I wait? Until they turn brown? Seems almost too easy if you ask me, the darn things sprouted literally overnight and I don't see how doing more would be all that much more difficult :D

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Some advice ,cover that sun will make it turn green not good not a good flavor cover with cloth or some thing
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

good advice, in fact I went to the research and theory page

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3483

there is a great conversation all about malting your own rye and once you get past the first three pages it gets into the guts of the process. Also there was mention of just tossing a blower or heater near the screen and turning it with your hand from time to time.