Help me stock my liquor cabinet

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Help me stock my liquor cabinet

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Well, I reached legal age some months ago, but due to my brewing and distilling habits I have yet to actually purchase any spirits. However, I've been looking to expand my palette recently, so I'd appreciate any advice on which commercials I should buy.

Of main focus, I'm looking for recommendations for a good rum (not spiced), scotch, bourbon, and tequila. I'd also be open to any other suggestions you think are worthwhile.

Here's the catch, though: being the poor college student that I am, I'd like to keep the bottle prices under $25 if at all possible. I'd be willing to exceed that figure a bit on the tequila and the scotch; I know that both of those tend to be a little bit more on the pricy side.

Thanks in advance!
OldManP
Swill Maker

Re: Help me stock my liquor cabinet

Post by OldManP »

I know i'll get flak if i don't say this first, but try to make 'em all!...

anywayz with that said I enjoy Pampero Anniversario. It is a dark rum. Doesn't seem like a spiced rum like Cap'n Morgans, but more of a deep aged flavorful rum. I only mix it with 1 ice cube.

I like Cazadores Tequila...don't think it's less than $27 or $30 a bottle but its great in my mind. I'm not one for shooting tequila, but i can drink this in any manor.

Past those--i'll someone else contribute.

OMP
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Oh yes, I'll be trying! I've already made a batch of rum (didn't last long) and I have a batch of scotch fermenting now, never mind the sour mash I'm running. But I am limited in my time (ie maybe distill once every 3 weeks) and my experience, and I figure that buying some decent stuff might give me a milestone to beat, and simultaniously put less strain on my supplies :p.
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

My advice is grab the cheapest crap you can find in each category (rum, brandy, whiskey, tequila) and that is your base.

Sauza Hornitos - Smoky flavor in your price range
E&J Brandy XO - means ten years on oak and here's the deal, made by Gallo, still $18 and for an XO is a steal. (typical price will run at least $50 and probably be a 375ml bottle)
Bullit Bourbon - spicy son of a gun, not my style though
Old Grandads Rye - $15 bucks and smooth, also try some other ryes in that range
Germain Robain brandy - just the basic, don't know if you will find it but they make a smoking brandy at a "decent" price
Bushmills Irish Whiskey - just the gold label for a good drinking whiskey without too much flair like peat, smoke or other distinct flavors
Bushmills Black Bush - Smokey son of a gun, little more expensive
Wild Turkey 101 - just try it
Vodkas are Vodkas, so unless you want something smashing (Hangar One Straight $35) they all will be varying amounts of nasty under $25. Don't be fooled by Grey Goose, Belvedere and all those other "high end" vodkas as they just charge more for the same juice. I will always tote Hangar One for two reasons. No smell or taste of rubbing alcohol and distilled from grapes. I like that.

Enjoy and good luck
water + sugar + yeast = wine

water + flour + yeast = bread

wine + bread = two things I can make at home
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

aah that reminds me...I like to say that Tito's vodka is my favorite store bought....it's cheaper than a lot of "premium" vodkas but it is so much better imo. Small batch vodka, made in a pot still down in God's country made only from grain (corn i do believe)...i'm a satisfied customer....
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
flybob49
Novice

Post by flybob49 »

Sauza gold Tequila
Clan McGregor Scotch
Bushmills
Enjoy! :twisted:
Flying is like riding a Motorcycle without brakes.