Busted

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Goat
Novice

Busted

Post by Old Goat »

Well, it is official, the cops came by and took the still, a bucket of mash and all other brewing paraphanalia, and stash. They stopped by for something else, but, they got the still, a misdemeanor charge, the more they want to fuck with me for a little home-brew the meaner I get.....Dammit,now I have to go get another "extractor" Peace.....
Have fun, get high, just don't Drink and Drive.
Moonshine is the next best thing to sex, and at my age, let the moon shine on!
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Busted

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Damn man! Sorry to hear that. Let us know how it turns out.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Shit, are you for real? What did they do? Knock on the door and see you cooking?
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

CoopsOz wrote:Shit, are you for real? What did they do? Knock on the door and see you cooking?
This really sux. I would also like to know. Did someone drop dime on you? That is what I would most worry about. Loose lips and ships type crap.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Bastards. Tough break.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

That sucks mate
Where was this,what country??
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

What I miss more than anything is not having my shine. As I said it is a misdemeanor, I only had a quart of 180 proof. But they took my still!!!!! Now I have to get another one. Just like Popcorn Sutton, once it gets into your blood you can't quit.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Old Goat wrote:Now I have to get another one. Just like Popcorn Sutton, once it gets into your blood you can't quit.
That is what I am worried about.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Then learn to drink it, instead of mainlining it, lol

(sorry for the poor humor, but I wanted to soften this sad thread).

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Man,that sucks!Dont they have some crack head,or wife beater to pick on! :(
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

My sentiments exactly Wineo, pick on people who are doing hard drugs and committing crimes to support there habit, not us small home-brewers who hurt no-one, just like the home brew better than store-bought.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

I got a good dog,no one gets into my place unless they got a gun :wink:
demonx
Swill Maker

Post by demonx »

What were they there for?

What country are you in?

Very curious same as everyone else as this sort of thing could happen to any of us!
gs_moonshine
Bootlegger

Post by gs_moonshine »

Thats some serious B.S. We aren't hurting nobody. Seems like the popo would have better things to do than mess with somebody with a little still a one quart of moonshine. I'm not that found of cops to begin with, mainly because I go to work late at night and I'm always getting pulled over for stupid things to see if I've been drinking. Hearing this takes the cake.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I hate to say it but had you offered them some previously, they might have left you alone. Hey go by the local scrap yard in a day or so and see if it turns up there. I bet you're 2 houses down from a meth lab if you're in the US and they probably know about it. I really am sorry to hear it. Call them back in a couple days and ask if they figured out how to work it. :D
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

I reckon they were just too damn lazy to build thier own.
Less oak longer
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

duds2u wrote:I reckon they were just too damn lazy to build thier own.
I think many of them actually believe the lie they have told for so long, that homemade hooch is terrible for you, and will kill you, and is very dangerous. A lot of law enforcement actually buy into that propaganda, and feel they are doing you a favor, by taking it away. Foolz.

H.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I think you're right Husker, unfortunately too many people today are too lazy to do any research into any thing themselves and just take other peoples' words for gospel. That goes for most everything. I heard a saying when I was a kid and it has stuck with me all these years and I apply it, "Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." You can physically see the detrimental effects of drug use, around here you had better have it nailed down or the meth heads will steal you blind. The copper theives will cut the copper off of anything including the freon lines off your air conditioner unit outside risking dying to steal 2 feet of 3/4" copper tubing. Old Goat, you could find a way to fight them I'm sure but you'd risk a heavier price. Unfortunately that's the reality of this hobby :( . At least we can stick together on this forum and lend moral support. Maybe you had some things you wish you had done different on the last still and could use this as an opportunity to build a better one, or a bigger one.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

somethin aint addin up. you aint big time enough for em to come huntin unlessin they was
huntin somethin else. i got my guess but aint none of my business.
cant count the times the ole man gets caught cause his youngins growin dope.
keep your likker in vodka an gin jugs. cant prove a dam thang
best get a conected lawyer cause that probation what gonna end up getin you.
2 year suspended 5 years probation. what it is round here for first time an a fine.
hope this is a wake up call for some

so im tole
smokerscully1
Swill Maker

Post by smokerscully1 »

Living isolated in an unpopulated area it's real easy to hide stuff in the bush but pretty hard to keep an actvity secret. I did what goose suggested--everything around the house is stored in gin and vodka bottles.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

words to live by.....never tell a soul....no one....not even close freinds. loose lips will get you quicker than anything...i guess thats why most work at night. sorry to here about the trouble, now they gonna keep looking for it. :cry:
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

But like Old Goat originally said "They stopped by for something else, but, they got the still," just goes to show that you just don't leave incriminating evidence laying around 'cause it doesn't matter what type of cop it is, if something stares them in the face, they gotta do something about it. (after all, it is their job)
You can leave your boiler and some test gear laying around and call it home brewing stuff but it is a bit hard to explain away a fully assembled still.
Cheers.

BTW not many cops are on my christmas card list though. :wink:
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

I have a friend that was working then the alarm tripped and automatically called the cops. Had to call them off and luckily noone came around.
water + sugar + yeast = wine

water + flour + yeast = bread

wine + bread = two things I can make at home
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

Thanks for all of your comments. Luckily, it is a misdemeanor charge. The idea about using liqour bottles to store your stash in is good. I miss my corn likker so much, I bought some (legal) just to have a sip,and plan to save those bottles. Smells and tastes the same,so, who's to know. The thing is you can have the distiller legally, you just can't have mash or spirits to connect it. Probably will be a while before I make anymore, if ever, but have learned from this.
Remember, anytime, something unexpected can happen to put the law at your front door, and if you think you have rights, forget it....they do whatever they want. Regards to all....An Old Goat
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Old Goat, I could certainly see where you would be discouraged. I sure hate to see you go cold turkey even forcibly from your hobby you love. If you have a bad taste in your mouth over this it's understandable that you'd stop, hold out hope then that one day we may get this hobby legalized and we can all openly enjoy what we love to do. :wink:
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

Hey Goat,
Did you have it in your living room or something? If not did they have a warrent? I know in some cases when the cops enter your house for a specific reason and find other issues while they are there it is not admissable. You may be able to get the charges dropped.
libertyesq
Novice

Post by libertyesq »

Sorry to hear that. I'm a criminal defense attorney by trade. PM me if you are in need of some legal advice, depending on where you are. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

That's "Probable Cause" for you. I was going to school to be a cop until I relized I was breaking most of the laws..lol. It's amazing what they can get you for under this cause. It's a catch-twenty-two, tell them to get a warent and see what a mess and the stuff they will dig up. They'll find things even you didn't know you had. :mrgreen: I know a guy who told the cops to get a warent for something and when they came back they even smashed in the dry wall looking in the walls for anything illegal.

Don't quit for this. give it time to cool off. War is now on my friend. It's you againts them. CHEERS.
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

Well, now to get a taste of corn, I have to go to the ABC store, Thats OK. After this blows over,I will get another distilling unit. I enjoy the hobby, and since it happened on a fluke, they won't be looking for me. I am a minnow in the frying pan. But if you want to mail me a jar....LOL....I'm kidding, no way you get my address. This would have never happenned if it wasn't for a woman's wrath, so be careful and don't piss anyone off.

Law Enforcement Sucks, they are the real law-breakers, then go to court and lie.