Bubble Tray's?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CanadianWhiskey
Novice

Bubble Tray's?

Post by CanadianWhiskey »

Any one have made any or have any idea on how to construct one?

I have some rough ideas but would like to get some thoughts from the community!
Less Chattin More Drinkin
Tater
Admin

Re: Bubble Tray's?

Post by Tater »

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_lib ... 7.html#7-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

What i was thinking was cutting 2" copper pipe in 10 inch sections for a total of 4 roughly equalling a 40" column (sections and plates debatable!)

Cutting 4 peices of copper sheeting in squares of 2 1/4

Now to make the bubble caps. This is where i would like some comments on design specs, and how many bubble caps should i place on each tray seeing how 3 maybe be the maximun i can place on each plate
l ________ l l __________ l
A: l I I l B: l / _____ \ l
l I I I I l l I / \ l l
l ____ I l______l l __ l l_____________l
l l l l
l l l l
l l l l

Taking the copper squares in drilling holes through i would then solder on the caps

Next step would be place the copper pipe over the plate and solder the two togther, and keep doing this all the way up the column.

Most know of the theory on this and this used in large distillation projects and you will get that HEPT for each section will have a different temperature and a higher ammount of alcohol laying on the bottom of each plate as you rise, and as the vapour rises through each plate wil also act as a thumper as the vapour must travel throught distilate on eacc plate. when it over flows it should run back down to the next column and so forth making your reflux even more purifying.

Of caorse this would take a few more hours than just place scrubbers down the neck and carefull measurments being takin such as how much distillate would need to be laying on the plate before it runs back down to make it effective. But seeing how i have just bought 4 SS 2inch nipples and packed each nipple with a pot scrubber where the coupling is would be the space where you should have different temps up the colum, i thought I might aswell give this a go seeing now that i have 40" of 2" copper i can play with.
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

well... i see that my diagram didnt come out that sucks, oh well, im on govt time here and as they say, its all pensionable time!

anways diagram A was basically tube with a cap on top and the other was 180 degree tub coming up from the plate but cut just shy so it doesn t hit the bottom of the plate on the other end

Tater i see in that posting there they have these downfall pipes, are they essential, i dont understand why you would need them because wouldnt the caps just over flow and send it back down anyways?
vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Post by vajravarahi »

From my limited understanding the downcomers are better to have so you don't create backpressure at the bubble caps. What that translates to is faster run time, greater purity. At least that's what I think. Someone who really knows will be able to rectify my errors. :D

In F. B. Wright's Distillation of Alcohol & Denaturing, 1907 (Lindsay Reprint), pg 68 he gives some drawings (Figs 24 and 25) of some traps designed by Emile Barbet, one of the great French still designers after Egrot.
darel
Novice

Post by darel »

This is a conversation I am trying to start in research and theory.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7040
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

the book, "Distillation Operation" by Henry Z. Kister has everything you could ever ask about distillation plates. It is a very good book. http://www.amazon.com/Distillation-Oper ... 007034910X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

the picture DSCF2506_quarter.JPG, that is simply amazing!

Who fabricates this stuff thats awsome, so impressed!
CanadianWhiskey
Novice

[the book, "Distillation Operation" by Henry Z. Kister has everything you could ever ask about distillation plates. It is a very good book. http://www.amazon.com/Distillation-Oper ... 007034910X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow[/quote]

75 bucks for the book!!!!!!...aghhhhh... ok why not, sold.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

All the equipment in those photos was manufactures by Vendome Copper and Brass Works,Louisville, KY.
That is with the exception of the very tall goosneck pot in the early photos. They are reconditioning that one for Bill Owens of ADI.