Sam's Club 24 qt stainless steel stock pot & more

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jjnorcal
Novice

Sam's Club 24 qt stainless steel stock pot & more

Post by jjnorcal »

Hey guys,

Like probably many of us, my first pot was woefully inadequate (12 quart), so I upgraded today to this 24 quart baby, which I found at our local Sam's Club for about $55. The thing is heavy and appears to be super good quality. Why haven't I been shopping at Sam's Club?? Feh!

Sure, to some of you, this is small, but I'm small time, with just 2 x 3-gallon carboys in a bedroom closet going at any time, but I do likes me my hooch, and this baby meets all the criteria I've been looking for in an upgrade: large capacity, super cheap price, good quality, flat lid, and a very wide lip that let's the lid sit perfectly flat, and will be trivial to paste up and binder-clip shut. I will be so happy when I can cook off an entire batch in one go.

As a total sidebar, I let some sugar/tomato paste distilled spirit (just a -single- pot distillation, mind you, with a finished product of about 53% alc) sit on glass for 5-6 months recently, and I tried it this week. I was actually very pleasantly surprised. Very smooth, sure a little "tomato-y" on the nose, but honestly, quite tasty and pretty damn good considering that particular batch could not have cost me more than $2. (I've been focusing on rum lately, so this batch kind of sat in my 'liquor closet', overlooked, for quite a while.)

-Jason
-Jason in NorCal
Husker
retired

Re: Sam's Club 24 qt stainless steel stock pot & more

Post by Husker »

Looks like a very nice pot. It has all the good characteristics of a quality boiler.

Good luck with it!

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

That's a good looking pot for a boiler. Got big ol handles on it and a wide lip around the edge for a flour/paste seal.
Good find and not bad at all for the price.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I've had my eye on that exact same pot... One of these days I'm gonna wander over and get one... The local Sam's Club is just out my back window and I can almost hear the pot calling out my name...
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

If yer tryin' to save cash, why not just go for a 20$ deposit 15.5 gallon keg?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Been so many keg thefts around here, keg deposit is now $80 :shock: Another $35 for the tap.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

I agree, I'd just go with a keg. They aren't any more money and that way you will have the option to do bigger washes if you ever want to. I have a 20 quart and I wish I had a keg, I'm sick of making 5 gallons of wash and having to do multiple runs.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

That is the same pot that I use. I put a couple of sheets of cardboard around it for insulation. I am very happy with mine. I would like to have a keg, but they are not sold in my neck of the woods anymore. Too many thefts.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
danneva
Novice

Post by danneva »

Stainless steel pots are used for wide-ranging of cooking and storage purposes. A heavy stainless steel cooking pots of good-quality are used often because they circulate heat equally and are more sensitive to alterations in temperatures.
Last edited by danneva on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

check out overstock.com for SS pots also
teach me and correct me if you are my friend