What the hell......cool though.

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Safegyde
Novice

What the hell......cool though.

Post by Safegyde »

That subject line is for two different things.

1.) the new look of this forum. I have been gone a while, I come back and everything is all flipped backwards and all the icons for the forum are different.... Cool. The smiles are still the same......oh Thank God. What would I do without my familiar friends to welcome me back??!! :D :lol: 8) :P :roll:

2.) My whiskey has done something weird. I have been making a ujsm (75% corn, 25% rye) extremely goooooood :D , but with the last batch I did I put it in the freezer after diluting to 80 proof (40% abv) and it has turned a cloudy murky muddy color. But the funny part is when it heats up just a little it looks fine. I put a shot in the microwave for only 15 seconds, still cool to the touch, and it looks fine. See the pic. So what is the deal?

Out of a 5 gallon wash I do two stripping runs since I only have a two gallon pot. Then I do a final spirit run. It is clean...ie. no meth and cut early enough to prevent the nasties but late enough to bring over the flavor. I use a two gallon pot, 12 inch liebeg a thumper...blah blah blah. I get 160 proof every time when I am patient and run it slowly. I age it on white oak chips from the Jack Daniel's kegs. Always have a fine product. The smell and taste is just fine, but it looks like poo. This is new to me. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks all. Good to be back.

Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: What the hell......cool though.

Post by punkin »

Suggest keeping it away from the freezer. :mrgreen:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I don't think that the clouding you are seeing is abnormal... I've drank Rumple Minze for years and would put the bottle in the freezer only to find that the once clear schnapps had turned a dark and cloudy gray color... That was 100 proof schnapps which has loads of sugar in it - to a point where you could see the sugar swirling in the bottle... Same thing happens if you chill it in a shaker with ice - it turns dark gray and the sugar swirls as it binds together... Bottom line, nothing to worry about... Just watch out for brain-freeze...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I notice the jar has "bon jour" wrote on it. If your in Canada there is probably a problem with the whisky and water trying to continually seperate. :mrgreen:

[bon jour...french....canada....seperate...] :oops:

ok it's late, I thought it was funny ok? :roll:

And yeah, if your not canadian you probably don't get it......
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

I'm no expert but I'll say chill haze. If it's good drink yourself. If it's not good give to friends. If it's down right "throw-up" discusting, give to in-laws. :twisted:
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

What a waste of Grolsh! That truck driver should be hanged. :cry:
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Cleaning the glass up would be a bastard of a job.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Hell, that's the best thing I've ever seen happen to Grolshe. Too bad the bottles got broke though.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Hawke wrote:Hell, that's the best thing I've ever seen happen to Grolshe. Too bad the bottles got broke though.
Those particular bottles don't bother me too bad, if it were the ones with the reclosable lids it would be a bigger tragedy.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

As long as your talking about bottles does any one know about --beverwyck brewing ,albany N.Y. -- from net this bottle was made in 1870s? ,called a bop?
sort of crude, green tint no chips ,some bubbles in glass
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

grizzly1 wrote:I'm no expert but I'll say chill haze. If it's good drink yourself. If it's not good give to friends. If it's down right "throw-up" discusting, give to in-laws. :twisted:
That's what I thought too. Just like heating a liquid solvent allows more liquid or solid solutes to dissolve in it, chilling it would do the opposite. The less soluble congeners simply come out of solution when the booze is chilled, causing a kind of milky haze to form. Scotches, in particular, are quite vulnerable to this, which is why some distilleries "cold filter" theirs to remove the congeners responsible for chill haze. Other distilleries claim that cold filtering removes some of the whiskey's character.
If you don't like it, put it in the freezer until that haze forms and filter it through some cotton balls jammed into a metal of glass funnel. To keep the spirit from warming as you do this (when I filter it sometimes takes a few hours), clear a space in your freezer and set up your filtering device in there and refill the funnel every 10 minutes or so (a chest freezer really helps).

If you want the forums to look like the old ones, go to the user control panel, select "board preferences", which should take you to "edit global settings". Simply change your "board style" to subsilver 2, which is the skin that the old forums used. It will still look a little bit different, but at least it uses the same icons as the old forums.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I think it is the sugars that is causing the chill haze. With this batch I didn't pitch any new yeast and just relied on the old. I was in a hurry and also didn't use any yeast energizer...mistake I think, as all the sugars didn't get converted. I didn't end up with as much product either.

Tastes great though.

It's like magical color changing liquor!! :D :D Watch as you drink...the color and your motor skills both change!! :lol:
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

goinbroke2 wrote:I notice the jar has "bon jour" wrote on it. If your in Canada there is probably a problem with the whisky and water trying to continually seperate. :mrgreen:

[bon jour...french....canada....seperate...] :oops:

ok it's late, I thought it was funny ok? :roll:

And yeah, if your not canadian you probably don't get it......
Haha... Love it. You don't hear many seperatist jokes anymore but they are always good for a laugh.
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

I laughed too!! has been awhile since I heard a separatist joke....
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.