Thai Terror

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

punkin
Master of Distillation

Thai Terror

Post by punkin »

Thought i'd try a maceration before i went with a full wash.

Took some peach Brandy (about a litre) in the white at 65% and added;

Peel and Juice of 4 small limes from my tree (not quite ripe yet)

2 BirdsEye Chillies (seeds removed)

1 home smoked Habernero

About a tablespoon of japanese Pickled Ginger

Edit. Just added a smashed stalk of Lemongrass from the garden.

I'll give it a couplea weeks and have a taste. If it's any good i'll move onto the next step.

Any ideas or suggestions :?:

Edit.
Allow this to macerate for 3-8 hours or by taste. When it's very hot strain and reserve, then add 1 more litre to the ingredients, leave for a couple weeks.

Blend the two portions together, to taste (you may well end up just mixing them both together).

This turns out a brilliant lime green and has a fiery heat. You could play around with it and add some mint and coriander for a true thai taste.

thaiterror1.jpg
thaiterror1.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 28779 times

OnlyGirlsWon'tLikeItPunkin
Last edited by punkin on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

the only suggestion I have is to get good and dam drunk before you drink that, so that the burn is not quite so bad :) I like it hot, but dam, u got a hot recipe there.

H.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

You got worms, Punkin?
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

HookLine wrote:You got worms, Punkin?

No, i got a taste for adventure.

JustDon'tLikeGoingAnywherePunkin
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

HookLine wrote:You got worms, Punkin?
If he did, they would be long gone after a couple of those shots. :)

H.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I hear these kinda potions keep mossies at bay too.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

You should try that under boiler maybe you wouldn't have to buy propane
alice
Swill Maker

Re: Thai Terror

Post by alice »

punkin wrote: Any ideas or suggestions :?:
Yep - save me a bottle. :D
Damn that soiunds like my kinda poison...
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Interesting...

I've tasted it a couple times over the last few hours, and just chickened out and took it off. Cut back to 101 proof, it's a lucious clear green, although slightly cloudy. I'm hoping this will settle and can be racked off (maybe from the lime juice).

Taste is beautiful. It has some afterburn for sure :twisted: :oops: , and the ginger might take a while to blend into the profile smoother (think fresh ginger would be better), but it's bloody good.

Not to be trifled with, and i'm looking forward to an ice crusted glass with a shot from the freezer in a couplea weeks 8)

I've topped the jar of ingredients back up with more Brandy and will try leaving it for a little longer...maybe a day or two now the initial stings been taken outa the chillies.

MustBeARecordShortMacerationPunkin
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

sounds like something to put over turnip greens and cornbread! :P
Day Late;Dollar Short
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Three of us got into the Terror yesterday over a few 2" fillet steaks and chilli salt tiny taters. The first shot was greeted with a bit of suprise and some comments about the gut warming qualities :lol: :lol:

Five minutes later the shot galsses were pushed back to me as i had the litre bottle. This pushing of glasses continued on until i had visions of an empty bottle of Thai Green. :shock:
These terrible visions prompted me to rush towards the liquor cabinet and produce a bottle of Peaches and Corn on oak. Thankfully this diverted attention long enough for me to casually saunter back to the freezer with the seriously winged bottle of Green (only half full now) hidden under my arm. 8)

I am completely vindicated on my only original contribution to recipe development and have a few witnesses for the defense that i am able to bring forward for character approval.

I'd feel even more certain of a place in Tried and True if i could get a couple of my more adventurous brothers in arms (or sister) here to give it a whirl. :?: :?:

Promise you won't be sorry if you keep an eye on the original maceration (3-4 hours) then mix with a second maceration (1 week) that has almost no burn.
Extremely refreshing when filtered, cut to 101 proof and served from the freezer in shot glasses.
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

Dang that's sounds good...bet it'd go great with some spicy shrimps (or crawfish) set around the rim of a martini glass fill with you terror.

My mouth is water for some right now!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old Goat
Novice

Post by Old Goat »

Ricky wrote:sounds like something to put over turnip greens and cornbread! :P
Along with some chopped BBQ Pork :wink:

Take to the church Pot Luck Supper!!!!
:lol: :lol:

Really, punkin, I love that kind of stuff.Sounds Good!
Have fun, get high, just don't Drink and Drive.
Moonshine is the next best thing to sex, and at my age, let the moon shine on!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Old Ass wrote:
Ricky wrote:sounds like something to put over turnip greens and cornbread! :P
Along with some chopped BBQ Pork :wink:

Take to the church Pot Luck Supper!!!!
:lol: :lol:

Really, punkin, I love that kind of stuff.Sounds Good!
It is good, the chilli is not mouthstinging, but a gentle heat that warms your tummy like sunburn.

The quantity is about 1.5 litre (3 and a bit pints) in each of the two macerations (for no reason other than that's how big the jar was).
I reckon it'd work just fine with any fruit based or neutral spirit.

Don'tTellMeHowNiceItSoundsJustTryItPunkin
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Did you use dried or fresh bird's eyes? I have a somewhat dry location. Peppers grow really well here when nothing else will. I always try to gro something to cook Indian and Thia with and bird's eyes are a great decoration too. They sure are good in my favorite eggplant dishes. My experience is though that alcohol just makes it burn more. Maybe the extract in alcohol is not that potent. I'll have to try some just to have a good dare on the 4th of july. LOL
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Birds eyes were fresh (they're bearing atm) and the Habernero was smoke dried.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I guess I'll be planting them again this year then. They are oh so good to eat.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

ive really been wanting to try this out. couldnt find the exact ingredients at the store though, i live in a pretty small town with only one grocer

had to settle for pickled habaneros and dried jalepenos instead of birdseyes

never had the real deal to compare it to but i dont think it came out so great. its plenty bloody hot just the way i like it, but the flavor it sort of off putting.

would using pickled habanero instead of smoked make a big difference? i kind of feel like the birdseyes are a key ingredient for adding flavor to it. regardless i think i need a bit more lime to even the taste out a touch

also, could macerating at too high proof cause problems? perhaps you need the extra water around to pull out the right flavor
vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Post by vajravarahi »

I've been reading how folks here use vinegar to clean their stills, so pickled hots might not be the best choice. Just a guess though.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Not sure about the pickled chillies, but i'd assume that it might influence the flavour somewhat.

The Terror really is a staple round here friday nights, there's a couple of mates who ask for it as soon as their asses hit the chair.

I only chose those two types of chillies cause they were the ones i had in my garden at the time. Although, i do believe the habernero contributes a depth of heat that passes through your mouth to your throat and thence to a tummy warming glow.
I reckon any small hot pepers would do for a start.
Lime is important, it's the backbone of the drink. It doesn't take too many to make a lot of shots, so even if they're a buck a piece at the market, it's still a small investment.

As far as the alch strength, i've never played with it...only done it at 65%
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

well ill be on the look out for fresh habaneros and birds eyes. the jalapenos didnt really have much flavor, just a tad extra heat.

just out of curiosity, i did a taste test of the straight vinegar from the pickled habanero jar(stuck my finger and licked it) ans as i suspected, all that came through was the burn and not much else, so i dont think the maby teaspoons worth of vinegar that could have possibly gotten in would hve made much of a dent in a liter of 151 proof not to mention competing with the habaneros and ginger.

also, i just did one single 2 day maceration (i love the heat what can i say). so perhaps some more yucky stuff came through towards the end?

next time ill try fresh squeezed lime for sure. would it help to grate the skin? or just toss the whole skin in? mine deffinatly didnt have enough now that i read through this thread again as it didnt even turn a green color, more a orangish from the habanero and ginger pink.

the first microsecond is wonderful, then a sort of acrid flash, then the wonderful warm burn.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Dunno mate, but the lime juice is the base, and the peels should definately give the colour...

That's the buisness, next to the neighbours two litre refillable magic bottle of ujsm.

Ain'tNoPinkInItPunkin
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

well i scrounged up a friend who had some fresh habaneros and thai chilies. got a new maceration soaking as we speak.

i did a bit of reading and apparently they artificially color certain brands of sushi ginger with beet juice to "make it more appealing" and when i decanted the other stuff out the ginger had definitely been drained of color into plain white.

do you soak the whole lime in the maceration? i did one jar with squeezed juice only and one jar with squeezed juice then tossing the rest in with it as well. its been about 6 hours and the one with skins definitely has more of a "heavy" flavor, not sure which i like better tho.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Just reread the thread for the answer to your questions mate.

It'sAllTherePunkin
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

stay away from the pith...only makes things bitter

Go fresh or dried (not pickled) peppers and whatnot to get the flavor Punkin is talking about. Fresh is better, dried is more robust

I used a chipotle (smoked dried jalepeno) as it was in the cupboard and it gave a hint of spicy campfire
water + sugar + yeast = wine

water + flour + yeast = bread

wine + bread = two things I can make at home
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I just kinda 'fillet' the skin away so there is no white pith.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

well i did a few more tries and am getting some really good stuff now.

the bitter tastes i was getting before was coming from:
1) the proof was much too high, my alcometer broke so i was just using a dilution chart
2)soaking on pith from the lime skins (was just tossing the whole thing in before)

i found that adding an extra lime or two worth of juice then taking a potato peeler and scraping some of the very outside of the skin (no white parts)into the maceration comes out with a good clean flavor.

also, the pickled habaneros made no difference between fresh. and BTW the vinegar from pickling isnt really a problem...just look at the original recipe where he uses pickled (sushi)ginger

as a twist, i found some "thai ginger" in the store. its different looking then the normal ginger root and i think works quite well freshly grated in this recipe.

i definitely would vote this into the tried and true section! a few shots from the freezer works wonderfully along side some good spicy meals
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Thank you mate, i'm glad you like it. It's just one of those things that you instantly become attachedtoo/revulsedfrom

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those that love it (most blokes), ask for it time and again at my house 8)

Did you end up getting the colour?

I've been thinking about adding some Vietnamese Mint next time and seeing how that works...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Hmmmmm. Well done punkin. After just getting back from Thailand it sounds superb.
I have a gallon of chilli vodka which is just a bit over the top. I'll try adding some limes, lemon grass and ginger to see what happens. Did you use Kaffir limes?

blanik

ps. My limomcillo is macerating beautifully. If it works as well as I hope it will I'll whip up a few gallons for summer drinking. :)
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Nah, they're not kaffir, dunno exactly what they are. They start off green like the ones in the shops and slowly turn yellow. They're small, sweet and tart with green flesh that fills the fruit and a sorta 'normal' thickness of pith.
ps. My limomcillo is macerating beautifully. If it works as well as I hope it will I'll whip up a few gallons for summer drinking.
I've got a lemonade tree in the yard too that is bearing very well, i've been using some of the fruit as in the lime wash here somewhere to make potstilled vodka. It's quite good too...been meaning to try limencello with some of those.

TooManyRecipesNotEnoughHoursPunkin