Brown Sugar Wash?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TexianPatriot
Novice

Brown Sugar Wash?

Post by TexianPatriot »

Anyone experiment around with brown sugar to make a rum or neutral spirit? Could you taste the differences between brown, regular sugar, and molasses in their finished product? What I don't understand is why brown sugar is more expensive than white. Don't they have to run cane sugar through all sorts of processing to get it clean and white? Seems like that would add to production costs. Or maybe the demand for white is so much greater than brown that the production of brown falls and the brown sugar that does hit the market sells for a premium. I dunno. Your thoughts?
joes2
Novice

Re: Brown Sugar Wash?

Post by joes2 »

Typically, brown sugar is just white sugar with some molasses added to it. More is added for dark brown sugar and less for light. I think it costs more because the companies charge the higher amount and people are willing to pay for it. Although, there is the added expense of molasses and processing.
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

I was under the impression that brown sugar was white sugar that hadn't had molasses taken out of it yet.

I believe pint uses molasses for a neutral... (could be wrong)
As far as a neutral goes you want the most sugar for the least money, so that's why most use white sugar over molasses or brown... just cheaper. I imagine that if someone who made neutrals found a place with brown sugar cheaper than the white sugar they use, they'd convert to brown. It would have more flavor to get rid of, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Only time I've actually heard of using brown sugar in a wash is when someone was using it as an alternative for molasses for rum... I'm sure that it'd work just fine for a neutral and maybe a rum, but for most there are cheaper things with better results.

I'm curious to see if anyone here does use it, now that I've typed all this...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I use brown sugar for everything. Doesn't seem to make any difference and it's a lot less expensive.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

Less expensive than white in Aus evidently, and where the OP is from (America?) it's more expensive than white... interesting, that...

Just looked up on a random online shopping supermarket site for a quick comparison... cheapest (this place doesn't do bulk) was $1.09 for 1kg brown sugar, and $5.49 for 5kg white sugar... so they're the same here in NZ.

Wierd. :roll:
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

StabbyJoe wrote:Less expensive than white in Aus evidently, and where the OP is from (America?) it's more expensive than white... interesting, that...

Just looked up on a random online shopping supermarket site for a quick comparison... cheapest (this place doesn't do bulk) was $1.09 for 1kg brown sugar, and $5.49 for 5kg white sugar... so they're the same here in NZ.

Wierd. :roll:
Wow. Brown sugar here is about 3 times the cost of white/raw sugar.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

I'm with Hookline on this one of price, where do you get yours from Blanik that it is cheaper than white?

Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

IGA Supermarket when it's on special. A lot cheaper, I think. But after the stuff up with aussie beamaphile earlier, who knows. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Perhaps I should stop posting or maybe just disregard any of my posts. :lol: :lol:

I must be effing losing it faster than I think I am. SHIT!!!!!! :(
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

There can be confusion tween brown sugar and raw sugar, and i think the terms are interspersed in different countries.

I use mostly raw sugar in 25kg bags, although i often get broken 25kg bags of white sugar as gifts :mrgreen:

I think the ujsm taste benefits from the extra flavour of the raw sugar, and i only ever go to 50% white sugar when i have the free stuff. Different with the Lime wash and some other stuff where i don't mind using white.

Does anyone else here reckon that white sugar ferments slower and not as powerfully as raw sugar :?:
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

I have found raw sugar ferments quicker than white sugar and also gives a better taste to UJSM style ferments.Maybe has some nutrients still left and not refinned to the shithouse.
Tastes better in coffe too
Such is life
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I like the taste of raw sugar too, and it is the main one I use for all ferments, partly for taste, partly coz it is the cheapest.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

OK guys. I just checked my stock and I use RAW sugar not brown, even if it is a brown colour. :? I must check what the difference is.

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles ... sugar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

blanikdog wrote:OK guys. I just checked my stock and I use RAW sugar not brown, even if it is a brown colour. :?
Ahh, that explains the price mix-up.
blanikdog wrote:I must check what the difference is.
Raw sugar is the first pass through the refining process, and brown sugar is fully refined white sugar with molasses mixed back in. The only difference between light and dark brown sugar is the amount of molasses used.

EDIT: Dunder beat me to it. :roll: :wink:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
TexianPatriot
Novice

Post by TexianPatriot »

in that case, where can I find raw sugar in the states?
DestructoMutt
Swill Maker

Post by DestructoMutt »

"your" gov'mn't made it illegal for unprocessed sugar to be sold in the states - one of those early presidents did it - jefferson, or adams - something about protecting the country's own sugar companies and not wanting the cheap imports.

by the way every ime this subject comes up, i wonder about the brown sugar from C&H, their packaging blurb says that their brown sugar isn't just coated whited sugar but true unbleached sugar with some of the cane syrup still on/in it. so, does anybody in the states of america know for certain what the regulation regarding sugar is? (yeah, i was having a go about the early president thing.....maybe...) :roll:
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

For raw sugar in the states,look for the Zulka brand.Its from mexico,but I found it at walmart in the ethnic food section.
I have done alot of experimenting with all these sugars,so I thought I would chime in on what I have learned.
White sugar will be cleanest for neutral.Raw sugar has some neutrents left in it,and ferments easier,but with more flavor.
Brown sugar will ferment easy,and will have some good rum flavors in it.Brown sugar,and fancy molassus makes real good rum.
I have also used demerea sugar,and it also has some flavors,but more like the raw sugar.Not really rum like,but not bad.
I have also used raw sugar,and molassus,and it made a real good white rum.The one thing to remember when fermenting any of these sugars is to keep the starting sg at 1080 or under,and use plenty of yeast so they will ferment cleanly and finish fairly fast.The higher the alc% of your wash,the more you may get unwanted flavors.You will get more flavor to carry over at a lower gravity.OK,I"ll shut up now. :lol:
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

Howdy folks,

In the states raw sugar can be found in Indian groceries. They call in Jaggery and it usually comes in a lump like stuck tgoeth brown sugar. After reading this thread I may try it in a wash.
hsthompson
Novice

Post by hsthompson »

I just finished 3rd 30 gal wash with brown sugar, the first two I did like wineos plain old sugar wash except I replaced the white sugar with brown and It turned out great, This third one I added yeast nutrient , 15 tsp and I started with a higher sg( .095-.097) Lets just say this thing has made a mess and in a little over 48 hrs it has droped below .95 . I also let this one ferment in the shop and the wash stayed around 85f . I will be running it this weekend, and I wonder if it will be much different taste wise than the others? I am very new to this but I thought I would let you all know my brown sugar trials.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Are any of you guys inverting the sugars?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

I've used Rogers Golden Sugar for rum several times, but I add a liter or so of molasses too to each batch. It makes for a good rum. I now use wheat germ as well in my rum as well as a half a cup or so of lemon juice, I get a much faster ferment with the wheat germ. Yes I guess I do invert the sugar, I bring it all to a boil for several minutes.

I buy Rogers golden sugar in Costco for $45 for a 40kg bag..... that works out to about .50 a lb or so... about the same price as white sugar when it's not on special. We buy organic raw sugar to use around the house, for sweeteners etc. I don't know what the price of the raw is it also came from Costco. Maybe I'll give it a try one day. I've looked in the US Costcos for brown sugar and it is considerably more expensive than in Canada.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I havent inverted it on these brown sugar and molassus washes.I ferment mine at 1070sg with 2 cups of red star{in 24 gallons}and they ferment like hell with dogsheads on the 2nd day.Since I started doing lower gravity ferments,I stopped inverting.
Stinker
Novice

Post by Stinker »

Hey Texian, you can always cross the line to the Bayou State and swing by one of the Sugar Mills. This time of year (grinding season) it's not hard to come by 20-40lbs of raw sugar (light brown in color) from one of the tour guides.
15.5 gallon boiler
2"X24" copper packed column
Liebeg Cond.
Two 2000 watt electric coils
Stinker
Novice

Post by Stinker »

If you want to read a little about milling sugar cane try here http://www.coratexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow These guys make RAW Sugar, then ship it off to refineries for the production of "store bought sugars". The brown sugar they make here is not bleached yet or refined in any way.
15.5 gallon boiler
2"X24" copper packed column
Liebeg Cond.
Two 2000 watt electric coils
lliw
Novice

Post by lliw »

What does inverting mean??

I just put the following ferment on:

6 L molasses
3Kg Brown sugar
1Kg white sugar
The total volume was 25L
25 hour turbo yeast

I'm not sure how it will go it has pretty much stopped with a SG of 1.03, my previous brews of white sugar have all stopped at 0.9, i'm guessing this one is higher because of the stuff that wont ferment in the molasses.

Is that right?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Inverting sugar is done by boiling in an acidic solution for several minutes.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Sounds like the wash is either done or the ferment stalled, lliw... I don't recall many people using Turbos yeast with molasses and/or brown sugar... Do you know the staring gravity of the wash or just the final gravity...???
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

1030 sounds close.

If it doesn't taste sweet it's right to go.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sugar prices in EC

Post by rednose »

In Ecuador, where I actually live, white and brown sugar has the same price, 0.70 USD/Kg.

Molasses are 0.20 USD a Kg if in cristal, in liquid is much cheaper but don't have the actual price.

I'm not a big rum fan but wonder what else you can do with molasses. :?:

blanikdog wrote:I use brown sugar for everything. Doesn't seem to make any difference and it's a lot less expensive.

blanik
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I use 50/50 molassas and raw sugar in my rum wash. Tastes great! I get the raw sugar at the grocery store in the ethnic isle. The brand starts with a "z" IIRC.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!