The Little Woman

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Godstilla
Swill Maker

The Little Woman

Post by Godstilla »

So I have been sorta teaching my woman about the arts and I have been telling her about different stills, etc.
Tonight as mine was heating up I asked her: "what kind of still is this?" Her answer: "A pretty one." :?

Guess I'll just keep it to myself. lol
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: The Little Woman

Post by Dnderhead »

If she is interested mite make a good "taste" tester or help with cooking mash.I fiend this more in line with what they like.
libertyesq
Novice

Post by libertyesq »

I agree. Got mine helping me with malting barley. So far so good. But I wouldn't let her near the still.
Puma
Bootlegger

Post by Puma »

Got mine (little being all of 5' nothin') sterrin' the mash.

Of cores she takes the credit for the end product :roll:
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

The Bourbon Girl is well ito it. Although no matter how mant times i tell jer what i've gotta strip or run on the w'end she can't figure it out, she'll watch the still while i run to the shops and swap out bottles. She does all the cuttin and bottlin (she learnt after she ran out while i was at work one day :lol: :lol: ). Cleans labels off bottles and such for me.

I'dNeverReferToHerAsMineThoughPunkin :twisted:
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

The memsahib is not much interested in how I do It but she sure does like the finished product
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

my oldest offspring (all of 7 years old) helped with the mashing last batch
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

My four year old gave some young gals (5 and 7) a "tour" of the distillery. "That's a still, that's a fermenter, that's co2" etc.

My wife might not make it through the cuts as well as possible but she can fire up the still and run it pretty well.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Post by vajravarahi »

Looks like you'll have some knowledgeable and well trained help in a few years. :lol:
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Dnderhead wrote:If she is interested mite make a good "taste" tester or help with cooking mash.I fiend this more in line with what they like.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You male chauvinist pig !!!!

Tracker made me a beautiful parot and when she who must be obeyed saw it in the shed she said that it's too gorgeous to stay there stating that it's a work of art. She is an artist and art lecturer afterall, so it now has pride of place in the living room.

I am able to use it but have to ask first. :shock:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

blanikdog wrote:Tracker made me a beautiful parot and when she who must be obeyed saw it in the shed she said that it's too gorgeous to stay there stating that it's a work of art. She is an artist and art lecturer afterall, so it now has pride of place in the living room.

I am able to use it but have to ask first. :shock:

blanik
You might have to make your own version and make sure that it's too ugly for her to want to save. :lol:

edit: Whoa, 700th post. Better get my act together, or people might start taking me seriously. :shock: :roll:
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's exactly what tracker said when I told him BW.

As for the 700 posts, I look at mine and think the same. Isn't it odd that we all feel the same way. I'm particularly careful about what I say in here now because I realize that newbs may think I'm an 'expert'.

Experts don't make the screw ups that I still do on occasions. I wonder if I'll ever learn to not overoak??? :oops:

blanik
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Drifting off topic I know but.....my last batch, a good 11 or 12 litres is way, way over oaked too Blanik. I still havn't had a chance to cook more IOT cut it.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Too much oak.
Me too :oops: :oops:
and I can't blame 'The Little Woman'

Cheers
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
DrTorque
Swill Maker
Location: Where distillation is legal and the wives don't nag

Post by DrTorque »

The little-little woman (5 y.o) loves helping with the mash.

The little woman wants no part of any of this. When she saw me wrapping blankets around the fermenter when I was supposed to be doing something that I promised her I would do (take the garbage out or something) I got a "you care about that batch more than you care about me."

Yeah - after that, I knew I picked the right hobby.
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W.C. Fields
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

Still working on my wife...just had a baby recently and wondering what it's going to be like when he's older, but not old enough to enjoy the spoils. Any ideas on how to explain it to him and how to keep it in the familiy, as well as how to approach my wife with what I'm doing in regards to him?

I also make beer so i could just let him think that's all i do for a while and keep the latter half of the process low key until he's older.
Dont' want to face his kindergarten teacher trying to explain my hobby... :?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
DrTorque
Swill Maker
Location: Where distillation is legal and the wives don't nag

Post by DrTorque »

First kid?

Just don't ever think you can keep anything from them - you can't. Their ability to absorb the world around them is amazing. The "beer making" story is a good idea. I should have done that. Even though I've told her a few times that daddy can go to jail if people outside the family know about it, even the school nurse knows that she "helps daddy make alcohol." I'm optimistic, and I'm assuming that others assume we're making beer or wine.
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W.C. Fields
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Our grandkids and the neighbours kids have only heard it refered to round here as 'Punkin's out in the shed making beer'. I'm usually doing more than just watching the still.... i mean..beer cooker.., i'll be rechargeing fermenters, hosing stuff out, cooking grains ect. There's a lot for em to take in when they come in and talk to me, and i play the brewing down (without avoiding it) and engage em on a different question. Just gotta make it seem boring.

From twelve or thirteen they can see the difference and they know about spirits, but by that age they're past the stage where they are gunna tell someone by mistake.

He'sAlwaysMakingBeerNannyPunkin
I-GOR
Swill Maker

Post by I-GOR »

Frau Bleucher cuts me a lot of slack, 'cours, I cut her slack in other areas too. I told her I had an itch I had to scratch and it was gonna cost about $120. She told me she's not a spirits person and will never be woo'ed over by what I make, but she still gives me her opinion on a tasting, which I appreciate. Often, here description of the taste is way different from my impression. As I was rinsing my column Saturday my daughter said " Daddy, what's that?" I told her it was part of daddy's amazing beer making machine. She said "you sure have a lot of pipes and stuff in the basement".
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I-GOR wrote:Frau Bleucher
neeeiiiiighhhh
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

neeeiiiiighhhh

Uncle Jesse that was too sweet, wish I had thought of it first.

The Bohunk
I-GOR
Swill Maker

Post by I-GOR »

................................'bleucha'..............................
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

blanikdog wrote:Tracker made me a beautiful parot and when she who must be obeyed saw it in the shed she said that it's too gorgeous to stay there stating that it's a work of art. She is an artist and art lecturer afterall, so it now has pride of place in the living room.
Al is working like a dream, tracker. :D :D :D

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.