anyone into cheesemaking ?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

anyone into cheesemaking ?

Post by manu de hanoi »

anyone into cheesemaking ? I really need some starter guidance.
Tater
Admin

Re: anyone into cheesemaking ?

Post by Tater »

try a search manu. seems that a few members posted on cheese making a while back
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

tater wrote:try a search manu. seems that a few members posted on cheese making a while back
thanks, there we go : http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5121
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

manu de hanoi wrote:anyone into cheesemaking ? I really need some starter guidance.
Do you mean guidance to get started, or guidance about bacterial starters?

If the latter, this place is great http://www.dairyconnection.com/cultures.htm

I've made tons of chevre and feta, till we got sick of goat caused damage to our yard and garden and gave the critters away.
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

to get started. As a starter I was thinking of using commercial yogurt
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Is fresh yogurt and cheese culture the same bacteria?? The end products are certainly different, I would think that they are not one in the same.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

just finished a 3 day short cource at my state university on farmstead cheese making. was blown away at the quality of the instructors. all the lecturers had phd's in one thing or another. thinking of starting a artisan cheese business someday. so ask away or pm me your questions. that link to dairy connections is great. one of the instructors worked for that company. theres dozens of differant culture depending on what you want to make. gman
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Husker wrote:Is fresh yogurt and cheese culture the same bacteria?? The end products are certainly different, I would think that they are not one in the same.

H.
They are different bacteria. However, the main role of the bacteria is to make the milk acidic, so practically, the yogurt type cultures will still function the same.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I was thinking recently about making a batch of cheese. The LHBS has mozzarella kits, but I don't eat that near as much as fresh mexican cheese or cheddar. How hard is it to make a good cheese? Easier than whiskey I hope... :roll:
this is the internet
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

pretty straight forward. heat milk to proper temp. ad proper culture, let proper acidity develope, ad rennet, cut, work, drain, work, salt, eat. gman
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Cheddar is both pressed and aged- not the simplest of cheeses to make.
The softer ones are much quicker and easier.
True mozzarella is actually a fairly involved process-you have to stretch it and kind of knead it when very hot (which is why "string cheese" is stringy).
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I make Indian paneer. Does that count?
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

pintoshine wrote:I make Indian paneer. Does that count?
aka cottage cheese ?
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Paneer is made with lemon juice or vinegar to coagulate it, then lightly pressed until it looks somewhat like tofu. It's handy because you can make it from household ingredients (no cultures or rennet), and is fast to make.

Sure it counts! :)
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

I make cheese of several types useing milk kefir grains. Just simple, easy and fast. Probably not as good as the time honored ways, but i like it and its healthy.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
spiritsofcatemaco
Bootlegger

Post by spiritsofcatemaco »

Some of years ago a had a docent of Jersey cows. We made twice a week cheese out of the milk.
pretty straight forward. heat milk to proper temp. ad proper culture, let proper acidity develop, ad rennet, cut, work, drain, work, salt, eat. gman
Thats all about it in one sentence, BUT in every stage you might make a small change and the cheese will be completely different. Its a very nice to make cheese, but similar to distilling alcohol: the better you get at, the more your brother in laws and the "best friends" hang around your house... :mrgreen:
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

We used to make paneer but it didn't seem to hold together when cooked so now we buy it frozen from the Indian grocer. Maybe we didn't press it enough, but frozen is convenient. Same with tofu.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

[
Thats all about it in one sentence, BUT in every stage you might make a small change and the cheese will be completely different. Its a very nice to make cheese, but similar to distilling alcohol: the better you get at, the more your brother in laws and the "best friends" hang around your house... :mrgreen:[/quote]

thats exactly true and what makes every cheese from every farm differant. you can make your own style of any cheese. viva la diferance. gman