CONVERSION CHARTS

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

CONVERSION CHARTS

Post by Tater »

http://www.convert-me.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Ayay
Distiller

Re: CONVERSION CHARTS

Post by Ayay »

There is a substantial difference between US gallons and UK gallons:

1 UK gallon = 4.6 Litres
1 US gallon = 3.8 Litres

I trust recipes from the US are using US gallons???
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Yes, U.S. gallons. And for those that tend to be anal retentive about such things, it's 3.78 litres :wink:
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Thanks for the clarification Hawke. The conversion chart will sort out the anal bits automatically :D
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

You have to be careful of that as sometimes the Canadians will type in Imperial Gallons (it is after all, their official measuring system).

They won't nessercarily make that clear though. :roll:

i prefer to use Chinese Shengs as a standard measure that transcends international boundaries and eliminates all confusion. 8) 8)

It'sveryhandyThataShengIsAboutALitreTooPunkin :mrgreen:
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Yep to what Punkin said, older Canucks tend to think in Imperial Gallons instead of litres and it often looks like an American made the posting since the linguistics are roughly the same. Anything I post, I define in Imperial gallons or litres, I never just say "gallons" to help avoid this confusion. To this day, I know my fermenters hold 40 gallons easily and I still never think about it in litres. The whole thing has screwed me up more than once, I wish everything was metric (even Chinese Shengs would be fine). Darn Yanks are screwing it up by hanging on to the gallons thing :P

Anyhow, until they force me to buy 50mm copper pipe I'll keep buying 2".
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Ugly wrote:
Anyhow, until they force me to buy 50mm copper pipe I'll keep buying 2".

Don't panic.

It's actually 50.8mm pipe, they just round it down :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You know how it is here in the US... We gotta do environmental impact studies, economic impact studies, feasibility studies, and even independent studies of those studies, before we can make a move on anything... Maybe that's why we've missed that conversion to metrics by 1980 by a day or two... Probably better start doing a study to see how that happened... :roll:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

If you thank that is hard you want to go shopping here in the states. you have to compare LB,OZ,KG,G
gal, qt , f OZ , L , ML . also fraction/decimals thereof. instead of raising the price they lower the amount in the package by a fraction.
I just bought a bottle of juice marked 1 7/8 liters ?

Make up my mind :?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

They past the metric conversion law in my senior year of HS, tried to cram all them numbers into us. We were past thinking about numbers by then. :roll: :lol:

My 88 Chevy truck has a mix of U.S. and metric bolts. Anything that attatches to the engine is US, if it attatches to a bracket, it's metric. :?
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Ahh yes, the last great holdouts on full conversion to the metric system, Liberia, Burma (Myanmar), and the USA.

You daring rebels. :roll:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
GingerBreadMan
Swill Maker

Post by GingerBreadMan »

Heh, I'm in Canada, officially it's metric. However many of us still think in inches, feet, pounds and degrees F.

I have no idea how much I weigh in kg or how tall I am in meters.
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
coppercraft
Novice

"In defense of the Imperial system"

Post by coppercraft »

I agree with the GingerBreadMan, more than once, I've seen scornful comments from people who grew up in the metric system (or are recent converts) concerning the US or Imperial system of measurement. I think they're unwarranted because each system had it pluses and minuses. I brew in the metric system because it's a decimal system and because 1 litre of water weighs 1 kg. That's handy because decimals are much easier to work with and, knowing the specific gravity of a material, you can ascertain it's volume by weighing it. It's also a lot easier to do calculations without having to convert from ounces to cups to quarts to gallons and most of all the metric system is universally standardized on the litre. Many times, when I'm looking at a recipe, I'm not sure if it calls for US or Imperial liquid units. On the other hand, I monitor still head temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit because the resolution is finer.
The Imperial linear system was derived from much older and more ergonomically rational values than a fraction of the earth's diameter, mandated by a 18th /19th century tyrant, which later turned out to be erroneous. The decimal system can be applied to either unit base and in the case of the Imperial system (from which the US system was derived) that's been the norm since the industrial revolution. The inch is arguably a better unit for manufacturing since 0.001" is a very realistic limit for machining operations and 0.0001 for grinding operations. In the metric system, tolerances are often given in increments 0.02 or 0.025 for machining tolerances and a decimal point added for grinding operations. Increments of 25 mm are often used in the metric system which is near enough to the inch (25.4mm). The "foot" needs no defense as an ergonomically superior unit and the yard is equally ergonomically friendly. I designed product in the automotive industry for 40 years after the introduction of the metric system to US built vehicles. I can readily convert between metric and Imperial mentally but to this day I find designing in the Imperial system easier and more in line with the process capability limits of the various manufacturing processes.
More than most, Canadians are in a position to judge the merits of the two systems as they live with both worlds, the US and the Canadian. Despite over 30 of official "metrification" most Canadians chose the Imperial system even though the educational system supports metric.
However, i do wish the HD Team would require anyone posting in "non metric" units to stipulate whether it's US or Imperial.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

I have a great conversion chart but the .xls format is not supported on this forum, if someone wants it I can email it out. MM
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

For anyone running Windows 7, there is a pretty decent conversion program built right into the calculator that comes with the OS. You just need to go into "view" on the calculator menu and activate it. I have mine pinned to the toolbar so it is always handy.
Braz
mensdomain
Bootlegger

Post by mensdomain »

Braz wrote:For anyone running Windows 7, there is a pretty decent conversion program built right into the calculator that comes with the OS. You just need to go into "view" on the calculator menu and activate it. I have mine pinned to the toolbar so it is always handy.
Thanks Braz had win7 for ages didn't even no. Always going online to find a convertor now I don't have to.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Here's a handy little units conversion file I keep on my desktop- open the zip file, select "Extract" and put it whever.
Attachments
Convert.zip
(152.45 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

one item about measurements...

pick up a stick...

show me 1/10 of it's length... metric standard...

now show me 1/2... english standard...

same goes for liquids...
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

Braz wrote:For anyone running Windows 7, there is a pretty decent conversion program built right into the calculator that comes with the OS. You just need to go into "view" on the calculator menu and activate it. I have mine pinned to the toolbar so it is always handy.
Handier than a pocket on a shirt and WAY better than finding a chart or calculator each time. Thanks
hendecp
Novice
Location: Planet Earth, western hemisphere, in the "lower 48"

Post by hendecp »

heartcut wrote:Here's a handy little units conversion file I keep on my desktop- open the zip file, select "Extract" and put it whever.
Dude.... Awesome little program... Thanks for sharing!
Wherever you go, there you are..... But, where am I and how did I get here???
NotSuperman
Novice

Post by NotSuperman »

You can also find the calclater type on ebay if you just search for "metric conversion calculator"
Candykorn+
Novice

Post by Candykorn+ »

The easiest way around this is some thing most of us carry every day . I may be a hillbilly, but a cellphone (ie ) iPhone or android both offer or come pre-installed with a conversion chart that will even do it in stones if u want . I have mine with me 24 -7, so having it to do conversions when mashing , or measuring runs . Solved it for me .
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

If it wasn't for the fact that all u.s. made liquor bottles are 750 ml I'd only use metric scaling for my recipes lol.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Alchemist75 wrote:If it wasn't for the fact that all u.s. made liquor bottles are 750 ml I'd only use metric scaling for my recipes lol.
In Australia spirit bottles mostly are 700 ml.

Geoff
The Baker
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Is that a fifth of an Aussie gallon?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Alchemist75 wrote:Is that a fifth of an Aussie gallon?
For years I was puzzled when Americans spoke of a 'fifth'.

Metric and British Imperial. Apples and oranges. Dunno.
I think they used to be 26 IMPERIAL fluid ounces in a bottle (dunno if ours were the same as yours were) and I think they became 760 ml and altered it down to 750 ml.
I think....

okay, an Imperial gallon is 4.54609 litres. So the answer will not be exact.... try 750 x 6 = (piece of paper and pencil...) 4.50000 litres, divide remainder (.04609) by 1,000 so 6 bottles and say 47 mls left over? I think.
say 1 1/2 30 ml Australian shots.
Bugger. That was the old 750 ml bottle. So if you want the answer for the now standard 700 ml bottle it's your turn for the math!

Geoff
The Baker
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Weird. So it's more like a sixth. The world should just go metric already. All my equipment is metric it's just those stupid fifth bottles that muck things up. I can buy stock amber and cobalt 1 liter bottles where I live but it's cheaper to use all the empties I've hoarded over the years.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Alchemist75 wrote:Weird. So it's more like a sixth. The world should just go metric already. All my equipment is metric it's just those stupid fifth bottles that muck things up. I can buy stock amber and cobalt 1 liter bottles where I live but it's cheaper to use all the empties I've hoarded over the years.
Use the empties; I've got hundreds of them.
By the way our wine bottles are 750 ml, it's the SPIRIT bottles that are usually packed with 700 ml of spirit.

Geoff
The Baker