A simple way to flavor whiskey

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Remus
Trainee

A simple way to flavor whiskey

Post by Uncle Remus »

My partner got this from some moonshining book he has. It's very simple just add a small handfull of darkly toasted malt barley to a gallon of white whiskey and let it sit for a while. It takes on a nice colour fairly quickly and after it sits a month or so it has quite a nice flavor. We know even white whiskey sitting in a jar improves greatly in a years time, so I think whiskey flavored this way will be pretty damn good with a little time. It's certainly not going to be like whiskey aged in a barrel but for a simple flavoring it ain't bad.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
lawnman 2
Novice

Re: A simple way to flavor whiskey

Post by lawnman 2 »

would this apply or work with the still spirits whiskey flavours ???
they make a varity of whiskeys.
any feed back would be good.
they say to age these types of whiskeys on wilsons whiskey chips .
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Not sure about the SS stuff, but I can see possibly adding a mix of peated and dark malted for more of a scotch flavor?
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
alwaysannoyed
Novice

Post by alwaysannoyed »

I have a bunch of separate jars all filled with 40% abv, they contain all kinds of things to try and flavor my whiskey. lite, medium, and heavy toasted American, and Hungarian oak, in some. I also have a medium toasted Hungarian soaked in sherry, drained and then back into the 40% abv. Others containing different malts, smoked, peated, basic pale and a few different crystal malts. I also keep a bottle of pure vanilla extract around (when I am trying for Bourbons). I just mix and match a little from each bottle, have gotten some pretty good results, but haven't had the patience to let any of them age yet.
partonken
Bootlegger

white whiskey?

Post by partonken »

What is white whiskey?? ive tried making whiskey from vodka using american oak chips toasted , a little maple syrup and toasted malt, and its great! thanks cheers from Canada
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Re: white whiskey?

Post by Dutchmancreek »

partonken wrote:What is white whiskey?? ive tried making whiskey from vodka using american oak chips toasted , a little maple syrup and toasted malt, and its great! thanks cheers from Canada
White whiskey would be corn or grain whiskey that has been left "white", that is, not aged in oak barrels, etc. Sometimes called white dog. Vodka is a clear or white spirit, but it's not "white whiskey"....it's vodka.

"White whiskey/white dog" improves quite a bit just from sitting in glass for a few weeks, but it doesn't continue to improve over long storage.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

whisky-- is made from grain much like beer, then distilled off below 80% alcohol ,as to still have the grain flavor ( usually 60-70%)
aged in wood ( white is before it is aged)
vodka --- can be made from any starch or sugar , distilled off at 90-95% so it has very little flavor of the base.( no ageing requirement but can be aged
in glass/stainless or wood )(then filtered to remove flavors/color)
neutral --- is the same as vodka but run several times threw a reflux so it has no flavor/impurities (US says 8 times)( diluted with distilled water between runs)
muckanic
Swill Maker

Post by muckanic »

From my experience with beer, I would caution against steeping any husk-containing grains. Wheat can be got in crystal or roasted form, and is naturally unhusked. The Germans also do a husked roasted barley malt, called carafa.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

Im trying a new way to flavour and so far it tastes great!! 375 mls of 40% vodka, 2 tsp of american medium toasted oak, 1/2 tsp maple syrup, 1 tsp of malted barley crushed. Distress age in the freezer for at least 2 weeks, in and out. I started 5 days ago and i tasted it today and it tastes great!! im going to go to 2 weeks distress aged and see what its like.
cheers!
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

I am trying something new this time, I saw a show about wiskey/scotch/bourbon making. Gave me an idea. Scotch making involved smoking malted barley with peat, before fermenting. What if a guy smoked cracked corn in say, a meat smoker with any thing from apple wood to oak? Do this with your corn before throwing it into the fermenter on your UJSM. Going to give it a go, I am alittle torn on what to experiment with first, want to try something other than oak. I will follow up.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

You need to soak the corn/grain for about 24 hours before smoking and drying to get the smoke to stick. Smoke/dry untill it matches the pre-soak weight.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Thanks for the info, I was going to wet it so it wouldnt burn, but I didnt know that. I take it you have done this before,if so did you use oak? How did it turn out?
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Only done barley with peat. Not sure how the wood smoke would come over.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

what about making a simple beer ,heavy malted.(no hops of coarse) then adding for flavor? I have used a farmers?(heavy flavored) wine adding as much as i wanted to clear
it turned out good in my opinion.