new message boards

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

new message boards

Post by Uncle Jesse »

it's been a few weeks, what do you folks think so far?
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Seems fine now (after the very slow web site responses earlier). I have got more used to it, too.

Perhaps miss the ability to add attachments. - that was handy.

Well done, Jesse.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

I agree haveing the ability to add attachments was very nice now i dont know how to show people pictures of my progress.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

images

Post by Uncle Jesse »

you can link them. if you lack a place to store the image for linking, let me know and i can upload them to the server for you.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

My ISP allows me 10 megs of storage space I can save my pics to and then post links to those files. Anyone found a site giving free storage space that lasts more than a time trial period?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Arnie_sla
Novice

just testing pic

Post by Arnie_sla »

Just a test to see if I can see the pic
An Ozzie Drinker. OOPs drank too much again!!! better lay down and rest for a while.
analwaste
Novice

web site for storing pictures..

Post by analwaste »

i think http://www.villagephotos.com onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow has 10 megabits, I am on this one for months now.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

ok

Post by Uncle Jesse »

so email them to me.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Professor Duck
Novice

Post by Professor Duck »

theholymackerel wrote:I wish there was a secure, safe, way to do this and remain anon.
There is, as analwaste said: http://www.villagephotos.com. It's great.

Anyway, the new forums are good, but one thing that really annoys me is that I can never stay logged in, even if I check the "log me in automatically" box. Is this happening to everyone else or is it a problem at my end? I have cookes enabled in Explorer so I can't think of any reason it might be happening.
Image If Leonardo da Vinci had a video camera.
MrPlace

Post by MrPlace »

It was happening to me, but now i get my settings/skins everytime. What was happening with me was my spyware cleaner was removing the cookie that tracked me for this forum. I shut my spware software off and it doesnt happen until I run my spyware remover again.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Same thing happened to me but sporadically and has been driving me nuts. The spyware may be the solution because my wife turns it off from time to time to download songs. I think it has the ability to specify certain websites that aren't policed. We try to leave it running because my son isn't as concientious in his efforts at scanning files he downloads as we are.

One thing I liked in the old forum... When I saw that there was a new post in the Index Forum and would go to that thread, it would jump automatically to the first new post, even if there were 5 or 10 new posts in the thread. Does the new forum have that ability and I just don't have a box checked or something.

The search abilities of the new forum seem far better to me.

Once the old forum has been transfered in entirity, will this forum replace the old on the homedistiller drop down menu for forum? And will the chat portion of homedistiller ever be working again or is that gone for good?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Grayson, I miss that ability to jump to the first un-read post, too. It was really neat.

Sometimes it is awkward not being able to reply to a specific post, too.

Anyway, it is great having this board so lovingly re-created.

BTW, I am embarrassed to say I have not figured how to use those little faces, yet. javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Embarassed

Dragging and dropping produces unwanted code as well as the face (see above). Copying and pasting doesn't work, either. The FAQ doesn't tell me. ?????
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I pretty much echo the sentiments of many of the other people on this board. At first there were some definate drawbacks to the new forum, but after a little adjusting(a little from me and a little from the forum), things seem to be going quite well.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

The forum seems to work just fine. I appreciate you bringing over everything from the old forum as there is a lot of good information. Still trying to get the damn avatar to load properly though.

AkCoyote
Grayson_Stewart
retired

AK,

You have yours saved at http://homedistiller.org/forum/images/a ... 57cda7.jpg ???

Looks like it is only 28 x 30 pixels too.
Professor Duck
Novice

Post by Professor Duck »

linw wrote:Grayson, I miss that ability to jump to the first un-read post, too. It was really neat.
Hey, I just realised, you can. Instead of clicking on the title of the post, click on the little picture of the arrow pointing to the orange piece of paper. Then it takes you directly to the first unread post.
Image If Leonardo da Vinci had a video camera.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Thanks so much for that info PD. I felt the same way Grayson did and now thanks to you I feel much better about this new forum. Thanks again, never even thought to try that. :)
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Thanks for that, PD., that will be really good.

Two more questions seeing as what you seem to have got this sussed! How are you supposed to get the smiley faces embedded without the code crap? And secondly, how do you get the quote in the white box?
I have tried to find out but the FAQ is absent on these topics! I am sure in two seconds you can save me much stuffing around.

TIA.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Two more questions seeing as what you seem to have got this sussed! How are you supposed to get the smiley faces embedded without the code crap? And secondly, how do you get the quote in the white box?
I have tried to find out but the FAQ is absent on these topics! I am sure in two seconds you can save me much stuffing around.

:wink:

:oops:

Ah, I have it sussed!!! Yeah.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Not so fast, Lindsay! Still something I have not figured out.

Prof, how did you get "linw wrote:" above your quote?
Cheers,
Lindsay.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

@ linw, when you use the faces in your post you have to be careful not to use other punctuation directly behind the codes other wise the codes get messed up.
Second, I think the reason that you did not get the "linw said" beside the "white quote" box is possibly because you quoted yourself.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Second, I think the reason that you did not get the "linw said" beside the "white quote" box is possibly because you quoted yourself.
Nope!!

I feel so :oops: that I can't get this when most other folk can!!! I will be so

:D if someone can tell me how to do it!

What I am doing is clicking the "Quote" box then pasting the quoted portion then clicking the Quote box again to give the end quote tag.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
nzbourbonhead
Novice

Post by nzbourbonhead »

the qoute shows up in your post to me in a white box
linw wrote:

Nope!!

What I am doing is clicking the "Quote" box then pasting the quoted portion then clicking the Quote box again to give the end quote tag.
Hic hic Now where did I put my glass
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

linw wrote:
Nope!!

@Linw, when you want to quote someone make sure that the beginning quote code is
person being quoted wrote: then it should work. When you add the =" person being quoted" then the name will appear.
Dane Cook
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

knuklhead wrote: make sure that the beginning quote code is ... then it should work
Yessss! :D

Thanks, KH, but where was one supposed to find this info? It's not in the FAQ.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

@linw, I don't have an answer to that question. All I know is that when I hit the quote button it automaticaly displays the ="person being quoted". I noticed that if you remove this part of the code then it just says "quote" so I thought that may be your problem. Like I said when I hit the quote option it appears that way on the reply screen. If yours doesn't then I don't know.
Dane Cook
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

@linw, are you possibly coping and then pasting in the reply box. Then adding the Quote codes? Then it would make sense that you have to add the additional code. If this is the case and you only want to quote part of a previous post then use the "quote" button and in the new reply box just delete all the text you don't want to have in your "quote".
Dane Cook
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Professor Duck wrote:Hey, I just realised, you can. Instead of clicking on the title of the post, click on the little picture of the arrow pointing to the orange piece of paper. Then it takes you directly to the first unread post.
I came in from being away for the weekend and just caught up on all the posts...wish I had read this one first rather than last :( Thanks PD!
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

knuklehead wrote:@linw, are you possibly coping and then pasting in the reply box. Then adding the Quote codes? Then it would make sense that you have to add the additional code. If this is the case and you only want to quote part of a previous post then use the "quote" button and in the new reply box just delete all the text you don't want to have in your "quote".
Well, dang me, I didn't latch on to the Quote button on the message, itself. Don't know how I missed that! It now becomes clear! Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I really love the new format, but it is pretty slow, kinda gets annoying. I don't have much patience.

Also, If anyone wants avatars or smileys, this is a great place to get them for free...
http://www.blackmaxpc.com/avatarsmiles/avasmiles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein