What is your 9 to 5??

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blue pig
Novice

Re: What is your 9 to 5??

Post by blue pig »

20 years in the usaf, then on to paramedicine for a few, now just a lowly pressman running heildleberg printing presses with an occasional run on a multi 1250.
Last edited by blue pig on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
V/R
Blue Pig
19Kilo
Novice

Post by 19Kilo »

Former geek... both Tier1/2 and field support. Now I am a Stores Chief for an airline.

onon
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

I build things. :lol:
This is our latest project. The first million dollar condo's in our city.

We are half done now. Taking a short break before we start up again. Maybe 3 weeks or so. Its been a trial, let me tell ya!

Pictures were a lot better before I re-sized then :oops:
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

WOW bushido!

I'm a jeweller. Fix your ring whatever is wrong and make whatever you want.

Don't need any more business cos there is more than I can do in this lifetime.
Last edited by Ayay on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
nick55
Novice

Post by nick55 »

i make ponds just started i am 21 and this was some thing i got in to http://www.NRDponds.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow it is just me and my cozen
stillborn
Novice

Post by stillborn »

Well... as of now (until they lay us off later this year) I repair and maintain multi-thousand dollar (used to be multi-million dollar!) equipment used for semiconductor manufacturing.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

I mostly pick the dump and build things that interest me .

Sometimes I'll drive down and lecture at the university for the MBA classes but I usually avoid groups of people so that's a rarity these days. In the summer I torment the (c)idiots by being as much of a hick as I can be. Love tuning my Jeep in the driveway early on Sunday morning when the cidiots have kept me up all night with loud music. When I get complaints, I turn on the stereo at 8:00 am sharp and play the most annoying CBC opera I can find at around 1500 watts peak across the water of the lake.

Pretty much sums it up and explains why these scars are on my knuckles.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I am retired after years in the Hi-fi home theatre industry
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Carpenter by trade. I like remods as I got a small crew and we like doing it all. New construction (now and then) is just not my market. To much rush, rush,cheap,cheap for my liking.

Dnderhead,
You ever put any fores in the diesel tank to clear the injector(s)?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

wont mix, unless you have 98-99%
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

Been a printer, a taxi driver, a cook, an EMT, a mental health tech/crisis worker, worked in a detox (no kidding), done office work and data entry, done some bartending and I do literary publishing -- no money in it though. Presently unemployed, Been looking for a job for most of a year but as a misfit geezer with an odd resume there isn't much out there. Lots of time for cooking though and as they say, "Idle hands . . ."
Centimeter
Swill Maker

Post by Centimeter »

I study enzymes using mass spectrometry.

And in case you’re wondering, my name isn’t a reference to an anatomical feature. :oops: I just like the word for some reason.
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

I broke my foot in oct 2008 and lost my job, I virtually sat on the lounge for 3 months watching DVD's and drinking sour mash. Now my foot is almost back to normal so I go deer shooting to keep myself entertained. Hard life but someone has to do it. :lol:
Image Keep on Stillin' Image
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

Power plant operator turned engineer turned entrepreneur.

Spent 15 years as a power plant operator - from apprentice to topped-out control center operator. During that time I went to college part-time and got a degree in engineering to escape from the hated rotating shift schedule. Spent 5 years on the day shift as a power plant engineer. Got tired of management politics and took early retirement. Moved to my favorite place in the world and started my own engineering firm and water quality laboratory. Best move I ever made.

So now I've decided to apply my knowledge of boilers, condensers, and water chemistry to my 20+ year brewing hobby to see what kind of tasty spirits I can create...

Gotta say though, trying to wind a 1/4" ID copper coil for my still's condenser is wearing on my patience and my still budget. My hands and knees ache... but I've got a real pretty pile of curly copper artwork...
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Centimeter
Swill Maker

Post by Centimeter »

Bourbonbob, I feel for you... :lol:

I can't emphasize how easy it is to coil 1/4" when you take the time to properly fill (i.e. slowly and tapping along the entire length) it with salt and use a mandrel jig to do the job. Use a 3/4" black iron pipe as the mandrel (for 2" column). Stick it in two boards with holes and attach a crescent wrench. Ten minutes later you'll have a beautiful coil. If you start getting down, think of me. I went through three 3/4" x 10' and two 1" x 10' rigid copper pipes in order to make a spiral leibig. That was during the height of copper prices too. :roll:
WhiteLightening
Novice

Post by WhiteLightening »

diesel mechanic
I maitain a fleet of trucks for a concrete outfit. just do it jurin the day though. I love my hobby , should be a career :lol: :D
sorry all the spellin gets a little ruff after a day of stillin
lawnman 2
Novice

Post by lawnman 2 »

9-5 i wish more likely 7-5 or there after lol.
well by my username im a lawnmower man yes i mow peoples lawns for them because they are TOO LAZY to do mit for em selves.
i am actually a greenkeeper by trade but no money in that game so decided to work for my self and put money in my own pockect
and not of some one elses.
Jimithang69
Novice

Post by Jimithang69 »

Well as a kid I worked at various farms and my grandfathers metal shop. Where I did a lot of welding on farm equipment and mining equipment. (We don't have illegal immigrants around here so child labor will have to do.) After high school I went to school for Mortuary Sciences and worked as a funeral director for about 5 years. I mostly did embalmings and left the desk work to the others. Then after a bad zombie attack in 08, I decided to hang it up and get my hands dirty while I'm still young. I"m currently working as a machinist at a local machine shop. I I'll go back to the morgue when my body starts to wear out.
kingstonshine
Novice

Post by kingstonshine »

let's just say I take other peoples money and put it in my pocket. haha and I'm good at it. 8)
Q-bIc
Novice

Post by Q-bIc »

boilermaker and fitter and turner by trade, but i own and run a concrete boom for a living. Do a fair bit oif hydraulic work just for the fun of it :)

cheers
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Q-bIc wrote:boilermaker and fitter and turner by trade, but i own and run a concrete boom for a living. Do a fair bit oif hydraulic work just for the fun of it :)

cheers
Wish you lived next door that's for sure, I'm building a couple of gasification boilers this summer and if I trusted my welding more I'd make them low pressure boilers.
tjhawk
Novice

Post by tjhawk »

I've had more odd jobs than I can remember. I rode the back of a trash truck before they were all mechanized. Manually dumped cans and threw bags and bundles. Worked on a fish farm. Mainly shiners for the bait trade and grass carp and asian carp. Seining up those big b@$tards was always exciting and could be dangerous. I feel bad about the damage these carp are doing to American rivers now, but I didn't know any better at the time. Check out the YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBL9rNRg ... PL&index=1
My brother and I went around to rock shows and found the best pieces of the most exotic rocks and then cut and ground spheres in our shop. Made just enough to buy more rock and maybe some groceries. Been a science teacher at the middle and high school level for the last 20 years. All in Alaska or International schools. It's amazing how often brewin' and stillin' can work its way into a good science lesson. Next year I'm moving back to the states for the first time in 20 years. I hope the wife gets a job, because I want to brew and still for awhile.
Djurmz
Novice

Post by Djurmz »

I thought I'd add my .02 here. I grew up working on the family's farm. Hoeing cotton, driving tractors and harvest equipment, and maintaining irrigation equipment. It was enough to put me off farming for life. In my ten years in the working world, I've worked in warehouses and construction. I got a job managing the receiving warehouse on a cheese plant construction site almost five years ago and now I manage the spare parts warehouse at that plant. We're one of the larger plants in the US and if you've had pepper jack at a Subway sandwich shop, it likely came from us. But I decided that I wanted to do more than trade my time for money, so I went back to school. I have one more year and I'll have my Registered Nurse certification. Between 50 hour weeks at work and full time nursing school, I've only managed to run some boxed wines through my still once to clean it out, but in one more week, I'll be out of school for the summer and I intend to make enough booze to last me through the second year of nursing school.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Great topic... I'm a sometime lecturer at a university, more or less a glorified statistician, teaching research methods to students of a range of social sciences. Love teaching, but I try to keep it from getting in the way of my two hobbies: Distilling and freediving / spearfishing. Squeezing booze and shooting fish. love it. I'm scared that one of these days I might have to go and get a real job :lol:
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Squeezing booze

He he he

I like it.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Bloody freedivers...

How the hell you blokes can get in the water with the concentrations of big sharks, mackeral, marlin and other giant fish we're catching from the safety of the boat and stick a harpoon in the bastards witha rope to your wrist just defies comprehension.... :roll: :shock: :shock:

Blood in the water and a six foot fish stapped to ya with a pack of fifteen foot sharks cruising past... while you are doing your damn best to imitate their food source...

Not even mebntioning the six knots of current sweeping you away from your boat 9that happens to be anchored unsupervised on top of a breaking bommie..

Maddest blokes in the world.

what's wrong with fishing out of a boat? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BloodyMadBastardsPunkin
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

punkin wrote:
Maddest blokes in the world.

what's wrong with fishing out of a boat? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BloodyMadBastardsPunkin
haha Well fortunately we don't have that many sharks around NZ, just the odd bronzie up north, and you can just prod them with your gun and they piss off. I'm more worried about getting attacked by the packs of seals that get a bit annoyed when you steal their dinner :roll: I hear they have a nasty bite, but make comforting duvets :twisted:

BloodyLazyBoatiesKiwistiller :D
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Red Dirt Ink
Novice

Post by Red Dirt Ink »

i'm a fitter machinist by my first trade and a tattooist in the secound trade,Doin both at the monent but soon to open a tattoo shop when all the red tape is cut.
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by guittarmaster »

Currently a sushi chef, before that I was cooking french food, before that I worked in a steak house as a chef... chef.....chef-ing my way along.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
andrewgwu
Novice

Post by andrewgwu »

I am a school counselor.... hopefully going back to school for my PhD in counselor education and one day being a professor and teaching.
...Ma got the groceries on commodities will
but pop'd trade them off and get sugar for the still
so he could drink that mash
and talk that trash...